Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
    d00heden, thank you so much. I was not super worried about the native calendar app being a pain, but you just made it so easy for me that I can't imagine what a diff this makes for those who hated the native app. Keep up the great work! ^-^
    d00heden, I am loving that patch for the universal search. It makes it so much easier to add events. Is there any way you can have it sent straight to the calendar without opening quick event? Just a thought. This works great. Just have to remember the syntax to add an event.
    I went through everything and put the txt file in the tmp fodler, and finally got this error :
    patching....
    patch***can't remove global-search-assisant.jsjsjs $read$ $only$ $file$ $system$

PLEASE help! I have spent hours reading the step by step instructions on everything, ssh'd the pre and everything, so now it says patching, but then it says i don't have permssion, how do I change so i can edit the file!
    Did you rename it the file and give it a .patch extension? Once you do that it will install through webos quickinstall.
  5.    #245  
    Quote Originally Posted by darkdrift View Post
    I went through everything and put the txt file in the tmp fodler, and finally got this error :
    patching....
    patch***can't remove global-search-assisant.jsjsjs $read$ $only$ $file$ $system$

PLEASE help! I have spent hours reading the step by step instructions on everything, ssh'd the pre and everything, so now it says patching, but then it says i don't have permssion, how do I change so i can edit the file!
    If you are using the patch command I assume the problem is that you haven't mounted the file system in read/write mode. I don't have a phone myself so I might be wrong, but I assume that if you type "mount -o remount,rw /" before the patching and then put it back as read only with "mount -o remount,ro /" afterwards, you should be ok.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    If you are using the patch command I assume the problem is that you haven't mounted the file system in read/write mode. I don't have a phone myself so I might be wrong, but I assume that if you type "mount -o remount,rw /" before the patching and then put it back as read only with "mount -o remount,ro /" afterwards, you should be ok.
    That looks right...
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Did you rename it the file and give it a .patch extension? Once you do that it will install through webos quickinstall.
    Mamouton, I tried this but my computer keeps identifying the file as a text document regardless of the extension I use. I noticed that QI is supposed to recognize both ".diff" and ".patch" files for install but this patch is simply not being recognized as an installable file by QI.

Any words of advice? I'd rather install via QI rather than follow the instructions in the OP which I don't fully understand.

As an aside, can this patch not be sent to Preware for OTA installation?

Edit: Funny how you spend time trying to figure something out....then post about it...then two minutes later figure it out. Anyways, for those having trouble with this, I found a workaround. Attach the .txt file to a blank email in outlook and then right-click the attachment and click "save as". Get rid of the ".txt" extension and you now have a "diff" file.

OK, so then I tried to install it via QI and I received a bunch of errors so I am really no further ahead.
    Last edited by Quintus; 12/02/2009 at 07:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    So now that I've installed the patch and it didn't install properly, how do I uninstall it? Is there a way to do this via QI?

Edit: I feel like I am having a conversation with myself here. Anyways, this might nonetheless save someone else some time. I used QI to reinstall the backup file for global search assistant.

I managed to ultimately get the patch to work but found a compatibility problem between the Quick Event global search patch and the "command line" patch available on Preware. I do not believe that these two patches can co-exist. You will need to choose one or the other. A warning, however, DO NOT install the Quick Event global search patch over top the "Command Line" patch as you will then need to run the WebOS Repair Utility to get the whole global search stuff back to normal because restoring the backup file will not fully remove the "Command Line" patch entirely. And Preware will recognize that the "Command Line" patch is installed but will not be able to remove it. The Command Line patch will no longer function once you have attempted to load the global search backup file.

After all that, I decided to keep the "Command Line" patch as it is more useful for my purposes. I would have loved to keep both, though, and maybe d00heden can look into what might be causing the compatibility problem?
    Last edited by Quintus; 12/03/2009 at 10:26 AM.
    I have 2 simple, related requests and can't believe they haven't been mentioned yet:

1. I'd like to be able to hit the enter button on the keyboard once I'm done typing to create the event (instead of using the on-screen 'submit' button).

2. After submitting an entry I would like the cursor to automatically reset within the 'Enter Quick Event' text field so I can immediately begin typing the next event.

This would speed up multiple entries considerably, since I wouldn't have to bother with tapping the screen twice every time I enter a new event. As of now, the screen tapping makes entering 30-days' worth of events a bit of a chore, where if I could just hit enter and continue typing, it would be much quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post

After all that, I decided to keep the "Command Line" patch as it is more useful for my purposes. I would have loved to keep both, though, and maybe d00heden can look into what might be causing the compatibility problem?
    Hey Quintus -- Well, I'm another user who follows this thread, but I've been offline from the forums for a few days or I'd have tried to help. Anyway, there's nothing d00heden can really do. ALL patches are essentially limited to just affecting unblemished (not previously patched or modified in anyway WebOS code). It makes sense that the Command Line patch (which I am aware of, but do not use) and the Quick Event Universal Search patch would conflict as they both impact (and likely edit) the same areas of code in the Universal Search area.

There's really nothing that can be done about this... possibly excepting to have one or the other patch maintainer to absorb the other's code into his patch. Since the Command Line patch is being more actively managed at this time (since d00heden doesn't even have a Pre), I think the best possibility is to see if Command Line could incorporate and maintain this functionality (assuming d00heden would agree???)
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Hi,

QuickEvents is really cool improvement for stupid Pre's calendar.

I live in Croatia and we use mm.dd.yy formatting. It is strange how difficult is to adopt mm/dd format

Could you possibly check system settings for date formatting or introduce preference settings to select date format. Obviously, you would need to modify date parsing too.

Thanks

Kreso

ps. I found earlier post on this subject. I hope you'll get your Pre soon.
    Last edited by kresom; 12/10/2009 at 11:47 PM.
    Love this one, esp. with the patch...I use it in conjunction with Agenda...

It helps me quickly add all day events for stuff the wife & kids are doing so I don't forget...

Much appreciated, d00heden!!!
  13.    #253  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    There's really nothing that can be done about this... possibly excepting to have one or the other patch maintainer to absorb the other's code into his patch. Since the Command Line patch is being more actively managed at this time (since d00heden doesn't even have a Pre), I think the best possibility is to see if Command Line could incorporate and maintain this functionality (assuming d00heden would agree???)
    As you say, there migth/will be problems when applying different paches to the same file. But if anyone wants to incoporate my patch into something else to make it easier to patch, feel free to do so!
    d00heden, any thoughts on my suggestions above?
  15.    #255  
    Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    1. I'd like to be able to hit the enter button on the keyboard once I'm done typing to create the event (instead of using the on-screen 'submit' button).
    Good idea. I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by fstopstigmata View Post
    2. After submitting an entry I would like the cursor to automatically reset within the 'Enter Quick Event' text field so I can immediately begin typing the next event.
    I think I've tried this sometime in the beginning but I never got it to work.
  16.    #256  
    Quote Originally Posted by kresom View Post
    I live in Croatia and we use mm.dd.yy formatting. It is strange how difficult is to adopt mm/dd format
    Shouldn't be a problem. Is there some other country out there that needs an other date separator? :-)
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    in germany we use dd.mm.yy (or dd.mm.yyyy)
    Hi d00heden. Sorry for being a PITA (as I seem to be the one to ask you about the patch updates the last few times), but I was wondering if you might update a diff file for the Universal Search patch. I suppose there aren't too many of us using it I guess, but I do at least 2-3 times a week.

If this is something I could learn, I'd be happy to try to make the .diff file myself. I assume it's a matter of the references to required code changes is a different line of code from one WebOS update to another.... (.diff says to make changes to line XX in a certain file in WebOS 1.3.1 becomes changes to line XX+2 in WebOS 1.3.5). If it were that simple, I'd be happy to try to edit / create the .diff file myself to help you maintain this. If so, let me know.
    This patch file should work through WOSQI...

Unfortunately, I'm unable to test it myself until I get home from work.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    This patch file should work through WOSQI...

Unfortunately, I'm unable to test it myself until I get home from work.
    Confirmed -- this one works. Thanks a bunch.