Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 285
  1. #221  
    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    Ok, my bad.
    Considering (my understanding) that you do not have a Pre yet, not too bad of a mistake!!! You are forgiven!

    I can confirm that renaming the file in your OP to have a .patch extension and then dragging that file into the WebOS QI main screen properly installs the patch. I would be happy to describe the steps to install this patch with WebOS QI (for the dense among us -- myself included at times) for you to then post into the OP. (if you like -- let me know)

    My only feedback (having not known about or tried this patch until 20 minutes ago) is that it would be nice if Quick Event would automatically create the resulting calendar item rather than just prefill the Universal Search text into Quick Event ready for you to press the button. That would make this functionality perfect from my view. However, this would clearly create issues for those people who are not yet comfortable with the Quick Event parsing rules -- there would be lots of events which are not created correctly if your parsing rules are not followed. For that reason, I understand why you did it the way you did and I suppose the only way to make the 'push button' be automated is through an optional user selected preference (not even sure if that is possible for you).

    Thanks again and best wishes. thanks for the support today.
  2. #222  
    One more from me before I call it a day (which you probably have already done over there...)

    I just re-read the full thread to see if this had been mentioned yet... and it had, but last during middle August so I figured I'd mention again

    Anyway, the Universal Search Quick Event patch is great as I've stated earlier today. However, on a few occasions I found myself forgetting to close Quick Event before entering a new event via Universal Search. Problem is -- if a Quick Event card is already running, the Universal Search text is not passed to the app.... it doesn't go anywhere I suppose.

    I know you stated many many posts and two months ago, that you're aware of the 'issue.' I just wanted to see if there is a fix planned. No threats or complaints coming your way if it's not updated tomorrow... But it would be nice to have it work regardless of whether the app is open or closed. Obviously, if it's open, it would be nearly as easy just to use the Quick Event card, but I've found this afternoon, it's mostly caused by me forgetting it's still open after the last event.
  3. #223  
    I'm not having success in getting Quick Event to parse what I type...even when typing on of the examples verbatim, it loads all of it into the first line and doesn't parse time and place. I installed it with Preware yesterday, the version that was updated just a few days ago. Is it non-compatible with any of the other patches or freeware that are available? (I also have the "agenda" app downloaded.) Any other ideas on why it might not be working? Thanks in advance.
  4. #224  
    In the preferences panel, what is "REMINDER ALL..."? The other reminder preference item ("REMINDER TIM...") seems to be the actual default reminder advance time for the event.

    but this next preference setting seems to have the same set of options... I'm sure this should be obvious to me, but I'm missing it.
  5.    #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    I can confirm that renaming the file in your OP to have a .patch extension and then dragging that file into the WebOS QI main screen properly installs the patch. I would be happy to describe the steps to install this patch with WebOS QI (for the dense among us -- myself included at times) for you to then post into the OP. (if you like -- let me know)
    Good to hear! If you want to write a small guide you are more than welcome!

    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    My only feedback (having not known about or tried this patch until 20 minutes ago) is that it would be nice if Quick Event would automatically create the resulting calendar item rather than just prefill the Universal Search text into Quick Event ready for you to press the button. That would make this functionality perfect from my view. However, this would clearly create issues for those people who are not yet comfortable with the Quick Event parsing rules -- there would be lots of events which are not created correctly if your parsing rules are not followed. For that reason, I understand why you did it the way you did and I suppose the only way to make the 'push button' be automated is through an optional user selected preference (not even sure if that is possible for you).

    Thanks again and best wishes. thanks for the support today.
    Yes, that is "by design" since the Quick Event application needs to be loaded anyway (or it will be a monstrous patch). But I suppose I might add a setting to automatically add the event if it is submitted from Universal search. Do you think the application close afterwards as well? Don't you want any kind of acknowledgement?

    In the meantime you'll strengthen your tap finger by pressing the submit button :-)
  6.    #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Anyway, the Universal Search Quick Event patch is great as I've stated earlier today. However, on a few occasions I found myself forgetting to close Quick Event before entering a new event via Universal Search. Problem is -- if a Quick Event card is already running, the Universal Search text is not passed to the app.... it doesn't go anywhere I suppose.
    Yeah, this is an issue. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to solve it. It seems like no arguments are sent to the application when it is already launched.
  7.    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by d1willis View Post
    I'm not having success in getting Quick Event to parse what I type...even when typing on of the examples verbatim, it loads all of it into the first line and doesn't parse time and place. I installed it with Preware yesterday, the version that was updated just a few days ago. Is it non-compatible with any of the other patches or freeware that are available? (I also have the "agenda" app downloaded.) Any other ideas on why it might not be working? Thanks in advance.
    The new version uses the same syntax as before. Could you give an example of what you are trying?
  8.    #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    In the preferences panel, what is "REMINDER ALL..."? The other reminder preference item ("REMINDER TIM...") seems to be the actual default reminder advance time for the event.

    but this next preference setting seems to have the same set of options... I'm sure this should be obvious to me, but I'm missing it.
    Yes, unfortunately the text got truncated in a bad way and needs to be fixed. "REMINDER ALL..." is the reminder setting for all day events. "REMINDER TIM..." is the reminder setting for timed events.
  9. #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    The new version uses the same syntax as before. Could you give an example of what you are trying?
    Sure, here's an example....I type: "coffee 9/15 9:00 at Alterra"...it loads all of that text into the field with the clipboard and no text in the fields with the clock and the house. When I hit "submit", I get this error text "Missing description or start time". Any clues?
  10. Quintus's Avatar
    Posts
    624 Posts
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    #230  
    I found that entering the time before the date works best. Try "coffee 9- 10/15 @ Alterra".
  11.    #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by d1willis View Post
    Sure, here's an example....I type: "coffee 9/15 9:00 at Alterra"...it loads all of that text into the field with the clipboard and no text in the fields with the clock and the house. When I hit "submit", I get this error text "Missing description or start time". Any clues?
    Try: "coffee 9:00- 9/15 at Alterra" (or "coffee 9- 9/15 @ Alterra).

    You always need to supply a "duration marker" (9-11 or 9- for default duration). Everything left of the duration is the description and the stuff to the right will be parsed as date and/or location.
  12. #232  
    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    Good to hear! If you want to write a small guide you are more than welcome!
    After my flurry of messages last week, I got very busy at work. I'll try to put something together in the next couple of days. It's not much to write up but I need to find a few minutes...


    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    Yes, that is "by design" since the Quick Event application needs to be loaded anyway (or it will be a monstrous patch). But I suppose I might add a setting to automatically add the event if it is submitted from Universal search. Do you think the application close afterwards as well? Don't you want any kind of acknowledgement?

    Before I write this up, have you submitted the patch to the preware submission process, because, quite honestly, that's the easiest route for this aspect of QE to gain the greatest adoption in the end. Clearly, my approach also works well, but requires the file to be renamed, and some drag-and-drop into WebOS QI (and a level of self management to remember to uninstall it for the next WebOS updage)

    In the meantime you'll strengthen your tap finger by pressing the submit button :-)
    Agreed. Did my wife put you up to encouraging me to get some exercise? I agree it's not that much of a problem, but yes... if you were to do this, I would think that it must be an optional setting (or don't do it at all). Personally I'd like to see the ability to auto-enter from U-Search and yes, QE should probably make an acknowledgement and then close QE automatically. The closing automatically could also help solve the bug where U-Search entries cannot be received by QE if QE is already open. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that QE has a front-end client, but for those who really get used to the specific proper requirements for the context of entries, seeing the client app isn't really important any longer and adds a step to the process.

    By the way, I think you are being very patient with the context / parsing issues people are posting... This is mind-boggling and unacceptible if those people have read the OP, the in-app hints / guide, or this thread.

    On this note, the only thing I think MIGHT solve the context questions would be to add

    "The CRITICAL ELEMENT of any Quick Event entry is the Hyphen (dash) in the time component.... The hyphen is REQUIRED and is a necessary element in ALL Quick Event entris. This specifically includes when there is no ending time specified for the event (8am-, 8-, ad-). Anything left of the hyphen will set the Event Descpription and anything right of the hyphen (and always optional) is parsed as either location or day / date information."

    ... Will this help? I wouldn't count on it -- as many people will just not read 3 minutes to solve their own problems -- but it might reduce the issue / complaint load just a little
    Last edited by greenawayj; 10/27/2009 at 08:05 AM.
  13. #233  
    I like QE very much, but maybe you already noticed that some languages use a different date/time formatting. Especially the MONTH/DAY/YEAR sequence is different, so I (and many other european users, I guess) get confused with that.
    How about a international version? (or maybe changeable in the preferences)
    I would like to use the german date format: "5/16" would be "16.5."
    Or even more advanced: using language specific month names: "June 16" would be "16. Juni". But I would be happy with "16.5.".
    But using the "next" keyword it makes sense to have language specific day names. (German: "Mo, Di, Mi, Do, Fr, Sa, So") Maybe you could omit the "next" keyword and assume it when a weekday is recognized.

    I would also love to enter the target calendar in the parsed text, using a short text snippet I can set up in preferences for every calendar, like "# job" to insert in my "xxx - Job (Google)" calendar.
  14. #234  
    Has anyone tried the 1.2.1 Global Search Assistant patch with 1.3.1 to allow Quick Event entries with universal search?
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Has anyone tried the 1.2.1 Global Search Assistant patch with 1.3.1 to allow Quick Event entries with universal search?
    Beuller? D00hden? Anyone? Can anyone address whether the Universal Search patch works with 1.3.1? I just got over a major patch removal / install failure episode that was somewhat traumatic, so I am reluctant to try right now.

    Thanks in advance?
  16.    #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Beuller? D00hden? Anyone? Can anyone address whether the Universal Search patch works with 1.3.1? I just got over a major patch removal / install failure episode that was somewhat traumatic, so I am reluctant to try right now.

    Thanks in advance?
    I haven't yet adjusted the patch to 1.3 but I will hopefully post it this weekend.
  17.    #237  
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeGee View Post
    I like QE very much, but maybe you already noticed that some languages use a different date/time formatting. Especially the MONTH/DAY/YEAR sequence is different, so I (and many other european users, I guess) get confused with that.
    How about a international version? (or maybe changeable in the preferences)
    I would like to use the german date format: "5/16" would be "16.5."
    Or even more advanced: using language specific month names: "June 16" would be "16. Juni". But I would be happy with "16.5.".
    But using the "next" keyword it makes sense to have language specific day names. (German: "Mo, Di, Mi, Do, Fr, Sa, So") Maybe you could omit the "next" keyword and assume it when a weekday is recognized.

    I would also love to enter the target calendar in the parsed text, using a short text snippet I can set up in preferences for every calendar, like "# job" to insert in my "xxx - Job (Google)" calendar.
    I'm Swedish so I agree that the American way of writing dates is wrong... :-)

    My interest of doing development for the WebOS is rather low at the moment, mostly because the device never seems to end up where I live (and importing doesn't seem to be a good solution at the moment).

    There might be localisations in the future but not right now. It's not hard, it just more tiresome to keep different languages synchronized.
  18. delao13's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #238  
    Suggestion: Can you add a default duration of zero? I like to use Queuickevents as an alarm, which means the event is zero minutes long. Love the app!
  19.    #239  
    I've updated the first post with an upgraded version of the patch for WebOS 1.3.1.
  20.    #240  
    Quote Originally Posted by delao13 View Post
    Suggestion: Can you add a default duration of zero? I like to use Queuickevents as an alarm, which means the event is zero minutes long. Love the app!
    I've submitted version 0.2.3 which have possibility to have zero length (called "none") default durations. Unfortunately the entries still takes up a big chunk of the day view of the calendar.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions