1.    #1  
    A simple little application to show the chmod mode based on what you want to change your linux / unix file permissions to.

Includes SUID and Sticky bits.

I wrote it primarily as a learning experience in WebOS development. I had an app like this for PalmOS that someone else wrote YEARS ago, and I thought it would be nice to have native on the Pre.

Please send me any feedback / suggestions, or post them to this thread.

chmod is in the homebrew gallery here.

Changelog:

- Added umask calculation

- Initial release

Github: https://github.com/dwburke/chmod-for-WebOS.git
    Last edited by smstnitc; 05/06/2011 at 04:34 PM.
    This is a bunch of Linux stuff, right?
    chmod is a Unix command to assign permissions to a file. Linux uses it as well obviously.
    RWX is Read Write and Execute permissions.

Useful app, thanks!
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    This is a bunch of Linux stuff, right?
    Sorry for the confusion. I live and breathe linux, writing a lot of back-end code in c/c++ and perl for a living, so documentation isn't my strongest ability

I tweaked the description, so it should be clearer now.

Dan.
    Last edited by smstnitc; 08/10/2009 at 10:28 PM.
    @smstnitc, I'm guessing you use a custom service?
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 08/10/2009 at 10:52 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Not sure I follow...

Dan.
    lol, nvm, I misread and though you app applies chmod changes to files on the device. Very useful app nonetheless
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    lol, nvm, I misread and though you app applies chmod changes to files on the device. Very useful app nonetheless
    No, it just displays the Unix/Linux file mode permissions for someone who isn't fluent in octal and binary numbers.

If the OP is looking for another challenge, an IP address CIDR calculator would be neat.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    No, it just displays the Unix/Linux file mode permissions for someone who isn't fluent in octal and binary numbers.

If the OP is looking for another challenge, an IP address CIDR calculator would be neat.....
    This site could get ya started on the CIDR Calculator.
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    No this isnt a app to actually change anything on the device.

Example say if you are a linux admin and dont remember the octet values for each permissions this will give it to you .
    VERY nice... just need a subnet calculator now
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    VERY nice... just need a subnet calculator now
    Practice makes perfect
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    This site could get ya started on the [URL=" Calculator[/URL].

Sounds like there's a market for it. I'll look at that for my next project

Dan.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    thanks for this.
    Hey this is a good idea and could come in handy. Wondering if you could add to it UMASK for setting up FTP servers.

I used to have a subnet calculator on my Treo too. Wonder if they could be combined into one super Linux/network admin app. Could even add tools like ping, whois etc. Just an idea.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    Hey this is a good idea and could come in handy. Wondering if you could add to it UMASK for setting up FTP servers.

I used to have a subnet calculator on my Treo too. Wonder if they could be combined into one super Linux/network admin app. Could even add tools like ping, whois etc. Just an idea.
    I started looking into creating a subnet calculator, but I had in mind to make it a different app. Do you think there would be more value in combining them?

UMASK is basically the inverse of the chmod mode, right? I don't have much call to modify umask, so I usually have to look it up every time. It would probably fit well just under the chmod mode, above all the controls.

Dan.
  17.    #17  
    Quick update... added the umask calculation.

I also sent a mail to the people at the CIDR site that jwdesselle linked to, to see how they feel about me porting their app to the Pre. Hopefully I'll get positive feedback

Dan.
    Last edited by smstnitc; 09/22/2009 at 08:11 PM.
  18.    #18  
    I decided that since I'm not likely to update this app any time in the future, because I turned to the dark side and let my frustration get the better of me, so I no longer have a webOS device.

I put the source code up in github if anybody wants to grab it and do their own thing with it.

And if someone is looking to -seriously- take it over in the app store, I'll gladly pull my version of it from the app store and let you publish it, just so long as my name is still in the credits, blah blah blah...

https://github.com/dwburke/chmod-for-WebOS.git

I'm versed in using git, but I've never used github, so bear with me if I seem stupid in accepting pushes or however it works.

I plan on putting other projects in this account, so it won't be abandoned.

Dan.