Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
    I've used the homebrew version of your app, and I love it. So I decided to go ahead and buy it via the App Catalog (so it wouldn't expire) and the paid version doesn't work right for me. When I try to set a preferred number it doesn't load the page fully, leaves me here:

I've tried clearing contacts between installs of homebrew and paid. Back and forth, and so on. It looks like my 14 day trial has reset from this (or maybe the newer version of the homebrew did it) but it will still expire. Is there any idea when the paid app may get an update so that I could use it? Or maybe something I'm doing wrong that could cause this error with it?
  2.    #962  
    Quote Originally Posted by neonpolaris View Post
    I've used the homebrew version of your app, and I love it. So I decided to go ahead and buy it via the App Catalog (so it wouldn't expire) and the paid version doesn't work right for me. When I try to set a preferred number it doesn't load the page fully, leaves me here:

I've tried clearing contacts between installs of homebrew and paid. Back and forth, and so on. It looks like my 14 day trial has reset from this (or maybe the newer version of the homebrew did it) but it will still expire. Is there any idea when the paid app may get an update so that I could use it? Or maybe something I'm doing wrong that could cause this error with it?
    Have you tried the latest version on homebrew v0.9.15? I'm wondering if that will work for you now or if you'll get similar issues.

Also, have you exchanged your Pre lately? You might have gotten one with an older WebOS version. QC on the App Catalog requires at least v1.1 WebOS and the one on homebrew requires at least v1.2.

uptempo777
    I should clarify, 0.9.15 works fine, as does the previous homebrew version I was using. I'm back to using homebrew for now, but it will expire in a couple weeks. This just means that my app catalog purchase is a bust for me, I should have just donated directly instead.

I thought the app catalog would be a better idea since it's a couple bucks cheaper and I don't need the 'bleeding edge' features getting added and tweaked more frequently in the homebrew version. The preferred dial is the one thing I do want, though.

I am running webOS 1.2.1.
  4.    #964  
    I should clarify, 0.9.15 works fine, as does the previous homebrew version I was using. I'm back to using homebrew for now, but it will expire in a couple weeks. This just means that my app catalog purchase is a bust for me, I should have just donated directly instead.

I thought the app catalog would be a better idea since it's a couple bucks cheaper and I don't need the 'bleeding edge' features getting added and tweaked more frequently in the homebrew version. The preferred dial is the one thing I do want, though.

I am running webOS 1.2.1.
    Yours is the first I've heard of that problem from anyone who's purchased QC from the App Catalog. If I think of any other ideas, I'll let you know.

The newest version is in the approval process so hopefully it will get updated soon and you can update to that. They have a large backlog so I'm guessing it will be at least a week for that.

Thanks,
    uptempo777
    Ok, The homebrew version works fine. If my homebrew expires before the AC version gets released maybe I can pay the difference and unlock it?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    So will the newest version automatically update photos with contacts linked to Facebook? Cause that would be awesome!
  7.    #967  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKC View Post
    So will the newest version automatically update photos with contacts linked to Facebook? Cause that would be awesome!
    No it doesn't do that yet because of the WebOS limitation. I just store the current image so it doesn't show you a blank space which people hated because then they didn't know what person was there. So it will use the stored photo. If that gets deleted or gets corrupted, you'll still see the person's name with the default pawn image.

uptempo777
  8.    #968  
    Ok, The homebrew version works fine. If my homebrew expires before the AC version gets released maybe I can pay the difference and unlock it?
    Let me make sure that's ok under the current terms of my agreement with Palm and I'll get back to you.

Thanks,
    uptempo777
    Hello Uptempo. Are there any plans to update the app with maybe a built in sms button for each contact? Kind of like the other dialer app. For now I have just used the second page of contacts for SMS.
  10.    #970  
    Quote Originally Posted by skinneejay View Post
    Hello Uptempo. Are there any plans to update the app with maybe a built in sms button for each contact? Kind of like the other dialer app. For now I have just used the second page of contacts for SMS.
    Right now, you can set your contact's Preferred item to be "Prompt". That will allow you to have a choice of whether you would like to call, SMS or email them on the fly.

uptempo777
    It is a great app and well worth the donation or an actual price. I have 3 suggestions which would make it even useful for me and probably for more others. In increasing order of complexity/effect:
    - give preference to the end, rather than the start of the phone numbers in all the phone number fields. Reason: when using calling cards for international calling, the numbers get longer (10 digit access number, 8 digit ID, 13 digit international number with 'p' between them) than the fields. Now one can not tell them apart in the fields becasue only the begining part, which is the same for all, is showed. My suggestion is to display the numbers from right to left, so that the unique part of them, which is the righmost part, remains always visible.
    - even better handling of the calling card case: support it explicitely. Allow the user to provide assiciations of prefix and phone numbers, then, when a number is about to be dialed, replace its prefix with the associated number, if a matching is found, before sending it to the native dialer. Example: an 001490<->9001234567p12345678p01149 association is first set up. Then, when dialing of the Contacts entry holding +49040xxxxx is triggered, the number 9001234567p12345678p0114940xxxxxx is dialed. This will call first the calling card portal, then at user's prompt, will dial the user ID and then, again after the user's prompt will dial the proper formatted international number (i.e. with the leading zero in the area code, which is used when dialed domestically, removed). This will eliminate the need to modify all the international number in the contact entry itself and keep them compatible with both international and domestic dialing (granted, international roaming is not affordable with Sprint, but just in case...). Note that this will eliminate most of the need for long numbers, but I think the first request is still worth implementing because there are other needs for long numbers that can not be solved with prefix replacement.
    - provide a contact finder more based on characters typed by the user in a virtual (screen) keyboard. Reason: the current way of finding a number that is not already assigned to a QuickContact shortcut can not be done with a single hand as it required oprning the keyboard and switching between applications. It would be much easier to find the contact from the list that matches the letters types so far by the user on a 9 key virtual phone key pad. Obviously, such a keypad introduces uncertainty due to multiple letters being assigned to the same key, but it is quickly removed when typing a sequence of letters. Usually, with just a few letters the list shrinks to less than on page.
  12.    #972  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorin@papuc.com View Post
    It is a great app and well worth the donation or an actual price. I have 3 suggestions which would make it even useful for me and probably for more others. In increasing order of complexity/effect:
    - give preference to the end, rather than the start of the phone numbers in all the phone number fields. Reason: when using calling cards for international calling, the numbers get longer (10 digit access number, 8 digit ID, 13 digit international number with 'p' between them) than the fields. Now one can not tell them apart in the fields becasue only the begining part, which is the same for all, is showed. My suggestion is to display the numbers from right to left, so that the unique part of them, which is the righmost part, remains always visible.
    - even better handling of the calling card case: support it explicitely. Allow the user to provide assiciations of prefix and phone numbers, then, when a number is about to be dialed, replace its prefix with the associated number, if a matching is found, before sending it to the native dialer. Example: an 001490<->9001234567p12345678p01149 association is first set up. Then, when dialing of the Contacts entry holding +49040xxxxx is triggered, the number 9001234567p12345678p0114940xxxxxx is dialed. This will call first the calling card portal, then at user's prompt, will dial the user ID and then, again after the user's prompt will dial the proper formatted international number (i.e. with the leading zero in the area code, which is used when dialed domestically, removed). This will eliminate the need to modify all the international number in the contact entry itself and keep them compatible with both international and domestic dialing (granted, international roaming is not affordable with Sprint, but just in case...). Note that this will eliminate most of the need for long numbers, but I think the first request is still worth implementing because there are other needs for long numbers that can not be solved with prefix replacement.
    - provide a contact finder more based on characters typed by the user in a virtual (screen) keyboard. Reason: the current way of finding a number that is not already assigned to a QuickContact shortcut can not be done with a single hand as it required oprning the keyboard and switching between applications. It would be much easier to find the contact from the list that matches the letters types so far by the user on a 9 key virtual phone key pad. Obviously, such a keypad introduces uncertainty due to multiple letters being assigned to the same key, but it is quickly removed when typing a sequence of letters. Usually, with just a few letters the list shrinks to less than on page.
    Great ideas!

I'm currently working on supporting number prefixes and suffixes so you can put in anything you want for: calling cards, work extensions, google voice, etc. I don't know specifically if the display of right to left is necessary if its supported and I'm sure that won't work for some people but I'll experiment with that to see how it looks.

I also like the idea of putting in the universal search so you can type part of the name to call. I'll see what I can do about incorporating that soon too.

Keep the ideas coming!

Thanks,
    uptempo777
    Thanks for the quick and positive reply!

What I meant by right-to left display is actually right alignment. The problem is worst when trying to assign the preferred number, since in the selection lists all numbers look the same as only the first 15 or so digits are displayed, which are the same for all the numbers, since they consist of calling card number and ID. If they were right aligned, the number-specific part would be visible. At one point the list seemed to have the same order as the numbers in the detail page, but lately that is not the case anymore and the only way to assign the preferred number is by trial and error.

The problem exists also in the shortcut details page, but it is less crippling because at least the type of number (home, mobile, work, etc) is displayed, which in many cases uniquely identify the numbers of a contact.

Happy coding!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quick Contacts Blew up.

I had the donation version of QC, Vs. 9.13 and it was working fine. I closed the card and tried to reopen it, and it just hung on the loading contacts screen. I opened PreWare and it said it had an update to 9.15, so I installed that but it still hung.

So I uninstalled QC ant tried to reinstall it, and got an error, couldn't find the feed.

***? do I have to go to the App Store and pay for it again?
  15.    #975  
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    Quick Contacts Blew up.

I had the donation version of QC, Vs. 9.13 and it was working fine. I closed the card and tried to reopen it, and it just hung on the loading contacts screen. I opened PreWare and it said it had an update to 9.15, so I installed that but it still hung.

So I uninstalled QC ant tried to reinstall it, and got an error, couldn't find the feed.

***? do I have to go to the App Store and pay for it again?
    No it should be fine. I was able to help someone download it through Filecoaster today. Preware was not working a while ago so try it again.

Thanks,
    uptempo777
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uptempo777 View Post
    No it should be fine. I was able to help someone download it through Filecoaster today. Preware was not working a while ago so try it again.

Thanks,
    uptempo777
    OK Thanks, it loaded this time. Now to reinstall my contacts.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Just a minor request for your next version. Could you use a different icon prompt in the preferred number instead of the question mark? It just seems out of place when you see it in the corner of a contact. If I was anyone else I would think it meant there was a problem. Again, just a minor request if possible.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I've been using QC for a while now, but consistently have the same problem when attempting to initiate an email.

When I open SOME of my contact's information (by holding their icon), and hit the SMS button, it consistently goes to "Unknown". I have tried repeatedly to reload their contact information, and even tried clearing out all contacts at one point.

How do I fix this problem? While I love a one-click phone call, I would love an easy way to SMS people.
  19.    #979  
    Quote Originally Posted by zman8 View Post
    I've been using QC for a while now, but consistently have the same problem when attempting to initiate an email.

When I open SOME of my contact's information (by holding their icon), and hit the SMS button, it consistently goes to "Unknown". I have tried repeatedly to reload their contact information, and even tried clearing out all contacts at one point.

How do I fix this problem? While I love a one-click phone call, I would love an easy way to SMS people.
    An email? You mean SMS right?

If you mean SMS, Palm has that as an open issue that they are looking into. It's a problem that other apps are having trouble with as well.

uptempo777
  20.    #980  
    Quote Originally Posted by zman8 View Post

An email? You mean SMS right?

If you mean SMS, Palm has that as an open issue that they are looking into. It's a problem that other apps are having trouble with as well.

uptempo777