Page 27 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 1340
  1. allenkt's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #521  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    so how does this compare to the photo dialer that was added to the app catalog today?
    No comparison. PhotoDialer is a very basic program that only does one thing....call people. Granted, that is maybe what you want but there are no bells and whistles. You press the picture and it calls them. If you want to set both home and cell numbers you will have their picture on there twice.

    Quick Contacts has much better features. You can of course set it up to automatically dial the number when you press the picture of the contact. And you can determine which number you want it to dial (home, work, etc....) Or you can have it like I do. I have the one touch dialing turned off because I have 2 or 3 numbers for each contact and I don't always call the same one. So when I touch the picture it goes to a screen with their info on it. From there I can choose which of their numbers to call just by touching that particular number. Or, if I want to text them instead there is an SMS button next to each number. I touch that and the Pre opens the text messaging app with their thread already open so I just have to start typing.

    Also the support is awesome because the developer is right here on the threads and works to fix any problems we find and is always adding new features as we request them.

    So in my opinion (and I have no affiliation with the developer at all), this app blows PhotoDialer out of the water. No comparison.
  2. sdmeier's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #522  
    Like most here, I Love this App!! The new Photo Dialer is a great app and I like the features it provides. But Quick Contacts is so much more and I believe will become the most popular Add-On to the Pre. I know I couldn't live without it.

    Like others... I also have my opinion on what I would like to see added

    1. I would like to have the ability for a List Option.
    Also while in list view, provide icons for SMS and Email or at a Min. SMS

    2. Unlimited or at least the ability to add 12 - 15 contacts

    3. When I press the photo, I would like to see it not only dial the number but open the details screen for that contact.
    I don’t know about you, but when I can’t get a hold of someone on their default number I go back, have to press and hold to get the details and then press the alternate number. If it was open by default, it would save time and less clicks.

    Bug???
    cosmetic bug... On all of the contacts except for the first one... the formatting of the numbers is incorrect. Example, it looks like the 5558881212 But the first one is formatted correctly, Example: (555) 888-1212
  3. #523  
    sdmeier suggested : 3. When I press the photo, I would like to see it not only dial the number but open the details screen for that contact.
    I don’t know about you, but when I can’t get a hold of someone on their default number I go back, have to press and hold to get the details and then press the alternate number. If it was open by default, it would save time and less clicks.

    I agree completely which is the reason why I am an advocate for multiple pages (ie more pages for either SMS or phone numbers). The suggestion above would go a long way here.

    The functionality becomes much more useful this way as it is a common problem to have to call the same person at work or on a cell (at least until Google Voice becomes ubiquitous).
  4. #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by allenkt View Post
    No comparison. PhotoDialer is a very basic program that only does one thing....call people. Granted, that is maybe what you want but there are no bells and whistles. You press the picture and it calls them. If you want to set both home and cell numbers you will have their picture on there twice.

    Quick Contacts has much better features. You can of course set it up to automatically dial the number when you press the picture of the contact. And you can determine which number you want it to dial (home, work, etc....) Or you can have it like I do. I have the one touch dialing turned off because I have 2 or 3 numbers for each contact and I don't always call the same one. So when I touch the picture it goes to a screen with their info on it. From there I can choose which of their numbers to call just by touching that particular number. Or, if I want to text them instead there is an SMS button next to each number. I touch that and the Pre opens the text messaging app with their thread already open so I just have to start typing.

    Also the support is awesome because the developer is right here on the threads and works to fix any problems we find and is always adding new features as we request them.

    So in my opinion (and I have no affiliation with the developer at all), this app blows PhotoDialer out of the water. No comparison.

    Well theres a slight comparison.

    1) Photo contacts is free (no donation asked or required)
    2) Photo will remain free
    3) You can have more than 9 contacts that currently limit quick contacts
    4) You can change the background/wallpaper
    5) You can have it show vertically instead,and scroll

    So i took some time to see what i could do with the pre without an app like Quick contacts, or the Photo contacts app: The deal with the being able to dial more than one number, you can already do this by clearing out one of your launch pad screens, and making it a photo dial page by simply adding a contact to your launch pad. YOu can have it so it dials one number automatically, or so that comes up to the screen where you select one number. Other than that the quick contacts just has the buttons down bottom but most are already on your launch pad if you use those buttons the most (email,sms,contact, etc)

    So if quick contacts stays in the free/donation optional, the program is cool. But IF it becomes a pay program down the road, it has to offer several more features, IMO, to make it worth paying since I can pretty much construct the same thing on my launch pad screen,for FREE

    just my .02 cents, tis all
    Last edited by Jupiter600; 09/04/2009 at 10:05 AM.
  5. bryers01's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #525  
    Quick Contacts is a great application. Already pulled Photo contacts off. just my 2 cents. I think we all have different need and Quick works better for what I need.
  6. #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter600 View Post
    well theres a slight comparison.

    1) photo contacts is free (no donation asked or required)
    2) photo will remain free
    3) you can have more than 9 contacts that currently limit quick contacts
    4) you can change the background/wallpaper
    5) you can have it show vertically instead

    so i took some time to see what i could do with the pre without an app like this.the deal with the being able to dial more than one number, you can already do this by clearing out one of your launch pad screens, and making it a photo dial page by simply adding a contact to your launch pad. You can have it so it dials one number automatically, or so that comes up to the screen where you select one number. Other than that the quick contacts just has the buttons down bottom but most are already on your launch pad if you use those buttons the most (email,sms,contact, etc)

    so if quick contacts stays in the free/donation optional, the program is cool. But if it becomes a pay program down the road, it has to offer several more features, imo, to make it worth paying since i can pretty much construct the same thing on my launch pad screen.

    Just my .02 cents, tis all


    where can i find this photo contacts? Will love to try it if it has more then 9 pictures.thanx
    Last edited by ericizzy1; 09/04/2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: NM. got it
  7. sdmeier's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #527  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    where can i find this photo contacts? Will love to try it if it has more then 9 pictures.thanx
    It's in the Offical App Catalog.
  8. #528  
    so, I tried out quick contacts when it first came out and used both it and quick dialer back and forth. I finally settled on quick dialer as my primary app simply because I like the list view better.

    After seeing photo dialer in the app catalog, i'm now wondering if you can add a list view option? I think this would be the best of all 3 worlds.

    Is this something you would consider?
  9. newostyle's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #529  
    First, I think you have done a great job with all of the work you have done here. I know programming can take a lot of time, and your work is really good.

    I have two suggestions that I've also read on this forum that I think would definitely put your app over the top.

    1. Make a setting where you can view the contacts in list mode which would include buttons for SMS and email.

    2. When you press on the contact picture make it open up the contact detail page as well as dial the preferred number, that way the person has quick access to all of their other contact options if the number they called didn't work. (This one fits primarily into your goal of making an application that allows the user to contact a person quickly, and with minimal button pushes).

    Again, keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing your app in the official app catalog.
  10.    #530  
    Definitely plan to include list view. Its on my long list of things to do for Quick Contacts. Also the next version that I'm going to post up has it go to the details screen when you make a call now. Little by little I'm trying to put those great recommendations in.

    Uptempo777
  11. #531  
    it would b awesome if could have multiple pages yu could flip through.i have more than 9 friends
  12. sdmeier's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #532  
    uptempo777,

    Did you catch the last part of my post?

    Bug???
    cosmetic bug... On all of the contacts except for the first one... the formatting of the numbers is incorrect. Example, it looks like the 5558881212 But the first one is formatted correctly, Example: (555) 888-1212
  13. allenkt's Avatar
    Posts
    133 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #533  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmeier View Post
    uptempo777,

    Did you catch the last part of my post?

    Bug???
    cosmetic bug... On all of the contacts except for the first one... the formatting of the numbers is incorrect. Example, it looks like the 5558881212 But the first one is formatted correctly, Example: (555) 888-1212
    I noted the same thing a few days ago as well and this was his response (on page 25 towards the bottom if you're interested):

    For the number formatting, I'm looking into that right now. It seems that the phone stores it one way but displays it in a certain format (XXX) XXX-XXXX if it's of a certain length. That should be easy to fix but I'll have to look deeper into it to make sure that's all they're doing in there.
  14.    #534  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmeier View Post
    uptempo777,

    Did you catch the last part of my post?

    Bug???
    cosmetic bug... On all of the contacts except for the first one... the formatting of the numbers is incorrect. Example, it looks like the 5558881212 But the first one is formatted correctly, Example: (555) 888-1212
    Yeah Palm just formats it a certain way which I haven't implemented yet. I'll see if I can do what they are doing and put that into Quick Contacts as well.

    Thanks,
    uptempo777
  15. #535  
    i wish i could have a 12 picture page on this amazing app...
  16. rjtaylor's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #536  
    just donated
  17. #537  
    Quote Originally Posted by uptempo777 View Post
    Yeah Palm just formats it a certain way which I haven't implemented yet. I'll see if I can do what they are doing and put that into Quick Contacts as well.

    Thanks,
    uptempo777
    What I've found is that all my contacts that have a Google profile as their default listing (and don't have a Palm profile), the phone numbers are rendered correctly (xxx)xxx-xxxx. The ones (from earlier days of having my Pre) with numbers that have a default account listing as the Palm profile (no Google Profile), the phone numbers are rendered xxxxxxxxxx.

    *Edit: So much for that, just added one that only has a Google profile, no Palm Profile and the number rendering is xxxxxxxxxx.
    Last edited by Achill3s; 09/06/2009 at 02:25 AM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  18. #538  
    for some reason on one of my contacts when I text it sends a text to the other number on the list. ie. I select the contacts cell to send SMS. The msg goes to the contacts home number? Weird. Any ideas?
  19. #539  
    Quote Originally Posted by uptempo777 View Post
    Thanks!

    Yeah I saw that in there too. From what I saw Photo Dialer is pretty basic and only dials out.

    Quick Contacts is submitted for Palm's review so you'll be the first to know when it's in the App Catalog.
    Your Program IS SO MUCH better. More features, elegant, etc. Hope you get approval soon. I know your updates will answer many of the users needs.

    Edit: I did notice today when texting a contact in quick contacts that when it opened my pre messenger it said "unknown" in the contact title and would not send. So far is only doing that to one contact.

    I am not sure if I understand what people mean when they want their preferred number to load a detail page. Do they mean the contacts page? I don't want additional apps opening, it seems counter productive unless given a choice in options to choose this feature.
    Last edited by pjjohn73; 09/06/2009 at 09:02 PM.
  20.    #540  
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    Your Program IS SO MUCH better. More features, elegant, etc. Hope you get approval soon. I know your updates will answer many of the users needs.

    Edit: I did notice today when texting a contact in quick contacts that when it opened my pre messenger it said "unknown" in the contact title and would not send. So far is only doing that to one contact.

    I am not sure if I understand what people mean when they want their preferred number to load a detail page. Do they mean the contacts page? I don't want additional apps opening, it seems counter productive unless given a choice in options to choose this feature.
    Thanks, hope it does too

    If it's texting to unknown, just Replace/Resync it and it should fix that.

    What people are referring to is that right now, when you have a preferred number and tap on a photo, it'll open up the dialer but currently when you switch back to Quick Contacts, it stays on the photo grid. They're saying that it would be more convenient for it to be on the contact detail page instead of on the photo grid. So if they wanted to dial one of their other numbers immediately, it would be easier.

    uptempo777

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions