Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
    I don't have the add contact on the main screen. Not a problem because I can just tap on the open square. However, when I add a contact from my pre contact list, I don't see the picture or any contact information. Please help.
  2.    #362  
    Quote Originally Posted by david wright 75243 View Post
    I don't have the add contact on the main screen. Not a problem because I can just tap on the open square. However, when I add a contact from my pre contact list, I don't see the picture or any contact information. Please help.
    Check to make sure your WebOS version is 1.1. In the past people have had issues like yours with an earlier version.

uptempo777
  3.    #363  
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa View Post
    Maybe I missed this, but how do I email one of my quick contacts?
    I haven't put in any way to email any of your quick contacts. That may come in a future version but for now, you can access your email from the Mail button on the main contacts screen.

uptempo777
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Best app in the catalog. I would like to second my earlier seconding of the toggle suggestion to turn on one-touch sms/emailing. I think it could work with the current layout quite well. It could work very simply like this:

1) The first time you touch a communication icon at the bottom, it toggles your quick-contact one touch "dialing" to that form of communication. IE: to send a text, open quick contacts, touch the sms icon, then touch the picture of the contact you wish to text.

2) When toggled to a certain option, touching that same communication icon launches that app -- what those icons currently do. IE: To launch the text message app, open quick contacts, touch the sms icon, touch the sms icon again.

Simple. The phone is currently the default, so the first touch of the phone icon in the open quick contacts would still launch the phone app. But if you toggle to, say, email, to launch the phone app, you tap the phone icon twice (once to toggle the quick contact one-touch dialing to phone, the second time to launch the app). Perhaps even the default could be an option, though I think leaving it as the phone is fine.

For most people, the ones they call most often are also the ones they text or email most often, so being able to one-(or two, I suppose, counting the toggle)-touch communicate by various methods would be great.

Thanks again for the great app.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I like Davidtoby's idea... my thought was very much the same:

To quick dial a person, touch phone then person to dial. To quick SMS a person, touch SMS then person to SMS (etc for email and opening the contacts).

To open the Phone (or SMS, Email or Contact) application touch AND HOLD the application to launch it.

This would allow us to have an email, SMS and phone set up as quick connections within the system for each of those on the listing. This would be VERY handy...

EDIT:
    By the way, this is a FANTASTIC app that is the way the Pre SHOULD have worked from the beginning. As soon as I can free up some $$$, I'm donating to say thanks for your hard work.
    Last edited by FragU; 08/25/2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Forgot the thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by FragU View Post
    I like Davidtoby's idea... my thought was very much the same:

To quick dial a person, touch phone then person to dial. To quick SMS a person, touch SMS then person to SMS (etc for email and opening the contacts).

To open the Phone (or SMS, Email or Contact) application touch AND HOLD the application to launch it.

This would allow us to have an email, SMS and phone set up as quick connections within the system for each of those on the listing. This would be VERY handy...

EDIT:
    By the way, this is a FANTASTIC app that is the way the Pre SHOULD have worked from the beginning. As soon as I can free up some $$$, I'm donating to say thanks for your hard work.

But that would take the app in a direction that would go against it's main purpose, one-step dialing? It's nice to have additional functionality but the trick is to maintain the authors original idea. I do understand your point though. Maybe a toggle switch to turn on that type of functionality but I don't think it would be the best of ideas to have it on by default. Just my 2c.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  7.    #367  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtoby View Post
    Best app in the catalog. I would like to second my earlier seconding of the toggle suggestion to turn on one-touch sms/emailing. I think it could work with the current layout quite well. It could work very simply like this:

1) The first time you touch a communication icon at the bottom, it toggles your quick-contact one touch "dialing" to that form of communication. IE: to send a text, open quick contacts, touch the sms icon, then touch the picture of the contact you wish to text.

2) When toggled to a certain option, touching that same communication icon launches that app -- what those icons currently do. IE: To launch the text message app, open quick contacts, touch the sms icon, touch the sms icon again.

Simple. The phone is currently the default, so the first touch of the phone icon in the open quick contacts would still launch the phone app. But if you toggle to, say, email, to launch the phone app, you tap the phone icon twice (once to toggle the quick contact one-touch dialing to phone, the second time to launch the app). Perhaps even the default could be an option, though I think leaving it as the phone is fine.

For most people, the ones they call most often are also the ones they text or email most often, so being able to one-(or two, I suppose, counting the toggle)-touch communicate by various methods would be great.

Thanks again for the great app.
    I like the idea but as Achill3s said, it does functionally change those buttons. I'll have to experiment to see what it would feel/look like. Most likely it'll be a change in Preferences if I were to set that up.

My primary focus is to keep usage a no-brainer. My worry is that people would not realize easily what's going on and think that something's not working correctly.

Keep the ideas coming. You just may see it in the next version!

uptempo777
    Last edited by uptempo777; 08/25/2009 at 11:01 AM.
    Quick Dial = tap
    SMS = hold down button

If you need to e-mail then use the e-mail program. I think that if you have to e-mail someone that is not considered a "quick" task as is SMS/dial. I don't see the point of having an e-mail icon in this app if it does not bring up that person's e-mail address. In fact, that is one extra button push compared to having e-mail in your quick launch bar. Instead replace the e-mail button within Quick Contacts with a edit quick dial numbers button. (hopefully that makes sense)

Just keep it simple. It is already a great app.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    uptempo777 - I understand the hope for a quick launch (one-touch dialing) from the original intent of the software - but now that it includes launch icons for the contact listing, SMS, email and phone dial pad it has morphed into SO much more. This one application has basically taken the place of three in my primary icons, and would be THE application for all things messaging.

For instance, after upgrading today all my "preferred numbers" had been wiped out. I can set them back up again, but then I can't get to the SMS functionality. From what I can tell, if I have a "preferred number" stored I'm stuck. This is what led me to the "select what then who" method. Even though it's two taps, it doesn't have to load an additional screen first (like if you selected the person, waited for that screen, then selected the number or SMS).

Skidmark's idea may work in that case - tap to dial, hold to SMS. This would get around my issue as well (aka: good idea).

To me, it makes sense to select what you want to do, and then select the person. Then again, I am easily the dumbest guy I know.

Thanks for listening to us - together we can crowdsource the one of the first "GOTTA HAVE applications for the WebOS!
  10.    #370  
    Quote Originally Posted by FragU View Post
    uptempo777 - I understand the hope for a quick launch (one-touch dialing) from the original intent of the software - but now that it includes launch icons for the contact listing, SMS, email and phone dial pad it has morphed into SO much more. This one application has basically taken the place of three in my primary icons, and would be THE application for all things messaging.

For instance, after upgrading today all my "preferred numbers" had been wiped out. I can set them back up again, but then I can't get to the SMS functionality. From what I can tell, if I have a "preferred number" stored I'm stuck. This is what led me to the "select what then who" method. Even though it's two taps, it doesn't have to load an additional screen first (like if you selected the person, waited for that screen, then selected the number or SMS).

Skidmark's idea may work in that case - tap to dial, hold to SMS. This would get around my issue as well (aka: good idea).

To me, it makes sense to select what you want to do, and then select the person. Then again, I am easily the dumbest guy I know.

Thanks for listening to us - together we can crowdsource the one of the first "GOTTA HAVE applications for the WebOS!
    Thanks FragU. Your ideas do help a lot.

In terms of being stuck when you store a preferred number, you aren't. To get to the contact's detail, just press and hold on the image to bring you into their detail page. Alternatively, you can turn off Preferred Dialing in the Preferences menu.

uptempo777
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Just a minor suggestion. When you are on a contacts page within quick contacts can you make the contacts button send you to that person's contact page instead of the main window. It just makes more sense, at least to me it does.

Also since you have the email button on the main page could you put that on an individual contact's page as well and have it create an email to that person?

I think it's still in the spirit of Quick Contacts b/c you would be able to call/sms/email/edit info for your most used contacts quickly.
  12.    #372  
    Quote Originally Posted by jnk5y View Post
    Just a minor suggestion. When you are on a contacts page within quick contacts can you make the contacts button send you to that person's contact page instead of the main window. It just makes more sense, at least to me it does.

Also since you have the email button on the main page could you put that on an individual contact's page as well and have it create an email to that person?

I think it's still in the spirit of Quick Contacts b/c you would be able to call/sms/email/edit info for your most used contacts quickly.
    Actually you beat me to it. In the next version, the Contacts button in the detail page will take you to the Contact Detail for that person - just as you said. In the same spirit, the Dialer button will dial the preferred number of that contact.

I'll likely add e-mail to the contact as well just to round it out.

Thanks,
    uptempo777
    Super great app!
    The only problem I am having is the pictures associated with the contacts are not showing up on my Quick Contacts screen. Am I missing something? Do I need to do anything other than associate a picture with a contact in my Contacts list.

Again, great work... Most used app on my Pre by far!
  14.    #374  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonschierling2 View Post
    Super great app!
    The only problem I am having is the pictures associated with the contacts are not showing up on my Quick Contacts screen. Am I missing something? Do I need to do anything other than associate a picture with a contact in my Contacts list.

Do you have the latest version of the WebOS v1.1? Check the Updates icon in the Launcher to make sure.

uptempo777
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonschierling2 View Post
    Super great app!

Never mind... Figured it out. I resynced the contact and the picture appeared. Next time I'll read thru everyone's posts before I ask simple questions...
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    Any thoughts on being able to rank phone numbers so Quick Contacts can easily let me dial based on that - or maybe a quick way to select an alternative number if I know I don't want to dial the preferred number? Though I want to keep the 'press the contact' and dial the preferred number feature - as that is the BEST feature...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Any feedback on these guys???

or or or or or or
  18.    #378  
    Quote Originally Posted by sdmeier View Post
    Any feedback on these guys???

or or or or or or
    Hey sdmeier, I've been asking people around to see what they think so I'll let you know. Anyone else have any votes on what they like or to keep what is there?

uptempo777
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I welcome any ideas. My feelings will not be hurt in anyway. Tell me what you like, don't like, what might look better. whatever. Just happy to help.

Steve
  20.    #380  
    For comparison's sake, here's what the icon is now:

(Added the silver disc in the background to be more consistent with the Palm icons)