View Poll Results: Which icon should be included in the next update?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15 26.79%
  • 1 1.79%
  • 5 8.93%
  • 34 60.71%
  • None of the above -- I'll make and email you a new icon right away

1 1.79%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    This is an update to BrickBreaker. It is a complete rewrite. Thank you to my beta testers.

if you want me to continue developing BreakOut, give me a good rating:-)
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/breakout

----------------------------------

Change Log
    • added a "bouncing ball" to the main menu -- looks cool
    • added "Fart" skin
    • slight improvement in collision detection performance

• performance increase -- less lag and annoying pauses
    • better collision detection
    • moved score, level, and lives beneath paddle
    • moved paddle up
    • entire paddle MUST stay on screen
    • free play mode completed -- shows progress
    • many, many more little fixes
    • expect another update soon

• BreakOut .1.5 fixes carreer mode bug that didnt allow progress.

Bulletin:
    • Please submit levels to kmax12@gmail.com. Read below how to make levels
    • If you have graphic skill you can make skins. Read more below
    • I need a new name because I am pretty sure BreakOut is trademarked

Levels:
    A level has two parts

Part 1 - a file that gives basic info (columns, rows, total bricks)
    Part 2 - give number of hits required to break that brick

example for level 1:
    Part 1:
    [5,3,15] (3 columns, 3 row, 15 bricks to clear)

Part 2:
    [1,1,1,1,1,
    1,1,1,1,1] (all bricks require one hit to break

example for level 3:
    Part 1:
    [5,4,20] (5 columns, 4 rows, 20 bricks to breaks)

Part 2:
    [2,2,2,2,2,
    1,1,1,1,1], (some brick require 2 hits)

Notes:
    1. Make the number of columns should divide 320 nicely (4,5,8,10 columns). this is the horizontal number of pixels on the pres screen.
    2. -1 will make a brick that can't be broken
    3. you can have "0"s for number of hits needed to break. Just make sure not to count them in Part 1.
    4. Make no more then 9 rows

skins:
    Graphics wise I need icon, bricks, and backgrounds. For bricks make them 80 px wide and 40px tall. For each 'brick set' I need 5 bricks: 4 colors that will be cycled through and 1 unbreakable brick (normally grey or silver). Also for brick it is important that they have border so you can distinguisg between bricks. lastly, a background to go with the bricks.I don't need any particular style.

Breakout is a very simple game to play

To start flick the ball upwards. Then grab on to the paddle and keep the ball from fall down. If it does, you lose a life. The goal of the game is to progress
    through all the levels.

This game supports skins

Once you beat all the levels you can reset your career and play them again. In the future we hope to have a working free play mode that let's you play any level.

Also, in the future more levels and skinds will be added. You can help out with making levels/skins by contacting me at kmax12@gmail.com
    TIPS: if you start with your finger on the screen you can slide it down into the gesture area
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kmax12; 08/16/2009 at 12:50 AM.
    is it available yet?
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taniabonita53 View Post
    is it available yet?
    it is in the app galley waiting for mod approval...
    looks good can't wait to test it out
    ah, ok. thank you so much i love games like this. i think of my atari days lol.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I can't wait to check it out! This looks really nice and polished.
    Pretty cool game, however when I finished a level the game did not recognize the fact that there were no more bricks to break. Also I notice that the game keeps going in card view, maybe have it so that it pauses when in card view. Other than that great job!
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    the update is super cool. thanks for making this.
    i did prefer the paddle to be 'above' the finger movement area though. (like it was in version 0.0.1) you probably asked your beta testers their preference, but it makes it easier to play and enjoy if you can see the paddle.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    Pretty cool game, however when I finished a level the game did not recognize the fact that there were no more bricks to break. Also I notice that the game keeps going in card view, maybe have it so that it pauses when in card view. Other than that great job!
    i noticed that also. when the level is clear, the ball keeps on bouncing.
    also, when your lifes are gone, neither the main menu nor new game button work.
    Keyboard controls for the paddle would be nice. You can still keep the finger option.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Also noticed that the ball freezes usually when going up and at an angle.it will freeze for about a second.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I'm having the same issue as others after beating the first level. It also gives an error message at the top of option 2 unknown.

I too liked the touch pad below the bar since my finger hides it while playing.

The game play is very smooth, but I did experience some lag. The good thing is that the ball stayed in the spot at resume, so it really isn't a big issue.

As for the layout, i'd rather not have the level and score on the game board as it is distracting. Moving both this and the touch pad will make for a smaller playing screen, but I feel will still make for better game play.

Good update though! Its much cleaner and more defined that the last version.
    I still see the FPS on screen. I agree move the score. I still hate the missed ball sound ii
    I notice that the ball is able to hit blocks above other blocks going through them, like a blue one. So the detection needs work.

When you are ready to get to the point of adding play features, let me know. I have all kinds of crazy ideas about different ball types, paddle stuff etc....
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    I like the bounce action of the ball, have encountered the ball going through blocks and preventing the level from being completed. Nice presentation overall.
    Any chance for volume rocker controls?

Also, the game is awesome, but I hate how the information is displayed in such a horrendous font and spaced out so far from each other.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Yep same happened for me! I had to lose the game :-(.

Also i recommend making a 'Gesture' area so that you are not blocking the screen moving your finger across to move the paddle, when you can't see the full screen I seem to FAIL when playing.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderCup View Post
    Also, the game is awesome, but I hate how the information is displayed in such a horrendous font and spaced out so far from each other.
    that type of comment is why i hate dev work. people will say some really meaningless things. there should be a forum rule that dis-allows this.

these devs are working for free for the enjoyment of it. it becomes '0' fun when people complain about things like 'fonts'.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    I think this is a very good start.. Good job. As for improvements, and i'm sure you may already be considering these, here is a small list: move score and level to top left and/ or right corner as it can be distracting, and take ideas from the blockbreaker delux game by adding sounds and power ups.. Keep up the good work
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    when the level is clear, the ball keeps on bouncing.
    also, when your lifes are gone, neither the main menu nor new game button work.
    i have the same problem.

otherwise, great work.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    which level? I havent played all the levels myself so it is very likely I mad a mistake. Also I am looking into a fix for not being able to get past level 1 in career mode.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast