Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbroadwater78 View Post
    i followed each step to install homebrew, when it came time to connect pre to computer, said device not found. i hit ok and then a window popped up say its trying to connect to device? it wont connect and its been runing all night. i unplugged and it wont go away. i even tried doing the whole setup on another computer. same problem?
    It's hard to guess what went wrong without knowing exactly what you did. I know you "followed each step," but when this happens it's often because a step was inadvertently missed. Exactly what steps did you take? Detailing them one by one will help someone identify the missed step (or eliminate that as a cause).
    Stupid newbie question: When I inevitably update to WebOS 1.2.9 or 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 or whatever numerical update is next on the list, all my Homebrew patches and apps will still be installed, right?
    hey guys,

ive been homebrewing since the early days, but ive recently run into a strange issue. whenever i install package manager service/preware through webOS QI, my phone goes "phone offline." it then regains the connection, only to lose it every once in a while. i also have issues loading my contacts (which are being pulled from gmail).

has anyone seen this before? any help would be appreciated.
    Palm is going to release another update soon I read, so what do I as a complete novice have to uninstall before I do the official update?

I have some tweaks like landscape email, change alert sounds and multi IM hack. I installed the Preware app and some other apps I downloaded thru Preware.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    Palm is going to release another update soon I read, so what do I as a complete novice have to uninstall before I do the official update?

I have some tweaks like landscape email, change alert sounds and multi IM hack. I installed the Preware app and some other apps I downloaded thru Preware.
    That parts simple.....if u have preware or OS web install--just UN-install everything on ur phone before you update it it. Then You'll just have to wait of all the apps and patches to be updated (abt 5-7 days) then you can reinstall them
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moonzilla View Post
    hey guys,

ive been homebrewing since the early days, but ive recently run into a strange issue. whenever i install package manager service/preware through webOS QI, my phone goes "phone offline." it then regains the connection, only to lose it every once in a while. i also have issues loading my contacts (which are being pulled from gmail).

has anyone seen this before? any help would be appreciated.
    Now I notived the same issue when I downloaded the "package" and preware. I just restarted my phone in between the two apps and never had a problem after.
  7. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

I'm a new Pre owner from the UK. I'm also new in this forum (obviously) so I apologise in advance if I'm posting my queries in the wrong thread/forum.

I have two initial queries regarding installation of homebrews on the Pre.

1) How do I install the FileCoaster or Preware app on my O2-UK Pre? I saw a link to download webOS Doctor while reading the tutorial but I can't find any instructions on how to use webOS Doctor specifically to install homebrew apps. So could someone kindly provide the necessary instructions I need to follow?

2) If I install an app like FileCoaster and use it to install other homebrew apps, will it affect the official webOS updates? Because I'd prefer not have to uninstall apps all the time everytime I have to install the official system update. So please tell me all I need to know to keep my Pre safe while being able to enjoy some of the popular homebrew apps available.

Thank you and I look forward to your answers.

Dew
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm a new Pre owner from the UK. I'm also new in this forum (obviously) so I apologise in advance if I'm posting my queries in the wrong thread/forum.

I have two initial queries regarding installation of homebrews on the Pre.

1) How do I install the FileCoaster or Preware app on my O2-UK Pre? I saw a link to download webOS Doctor while reading the tutorial but I can't find any instructions on how to use webOS Doctor specifically to install homebrew apps. So could someone kindly provide the necessary instructions I need to follow?

2) If I install an app like FileCoaster and use it to install other homebrew apps, will it affect the official webOS updates? Because I'd prefer not have to uninstall apps all the time everytime I have to install the official system update. So please tell me all I need to know to keep my Pre safe while being able to enjoy some of the popular homebrew apps available.

Thank you and I look forward to your answers.

Dew

To install Preware: Index of / (Instructions here: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals)

You need not uninstall HB apps in anticipation of a webOS update. Themes and patches should be removed before an update.

By the way, webOS Doctor doesn't install homebrew apps; it returns your phone to factory settings. This is useful if you ever "brick" your Pre and need to start over.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Stupid newbie question: When I inevitably update to WebOS 1.2.9 or 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 or whatever numerical update is next on the list, all my Homebrew patches and apps will still be installed, right?
    No , you need to delete them before allowing the O/S update.Once updated check to see if the apps / patches you had are compatible.
  10. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    To install Preware: Index of / (Instructions here: Application:Preware - WebOS Internals)

You need not uninstall HB apps in anticipation of a webOS update. Themes and patches should be removed before an update.

By the way, webOS Doctor doesn't install homebrew apps; it returns your phone to factory settings. This is useful if you ever "brick" your Pre and need to start over.

Good luck.

Thanks.

I am a bit confused about the involvement of webOS Doctor becuase the How-to tutorial mentions the following-

Note for European / GSM Pre owners: At the present time, your ROM version is well behind the US version, so the instructions below may not work. See the note on step 2.

Note for European users: You will need to use webOS Doctor for your version of the Pre, downloaded manually. More information here.
    I'm assuming webOS Doctor fixes something in an EU Pre model required to use webOS Quick Installer. However, the tutorial or the linked thread about webOS Doctor doesn't really explain what it will do or how to use it.

Since I'm new to the Pre homebrew scene, I'm a bit nervous about messing with software I don't fully understand. So I'd really appreciate if you'd kindly explain what I need to do in regard to webOS Doctor if I'm to follow the homebrew installation tutorial correctly.

Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    I'm assuming webOS Doctor fixes something in an EU Pre model required to use webOS Quick Installer. However, the tutorial or the linked thread about webOS Doctor doesn't really explain what it will do or how to use it.

Since I'm new to the Pre homebrew scene, I'm a bit nervous about messing with software I don't fully understand. So I'd really appreciate if you'd kindly explain what I need to do in regard to webOS Doctor if I'm to follow the homebrew installation tutorial correctly.

Thanks again.
    Follow the tutorial; download webOSDoctor. It needs to be in the same folder with Quick Install. If it's not there, QI will ask you to find it. Don't worry about it otherwise. In the event you "brick" your Pre, it will be there to restore it to factory settings. If you ever have to use WebOS Repair Utility, the program will need webOSDoctor to restore whatever file you're looking to fix. (The Repair Utility has its own thread with more info.)

Here's more info on webOSDoctor: http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...or_sprint.html
    Last edited by cas_esq; 11/05/2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added link to Palm's webOSDoctor webpage
    So I followed all the steps laid out and then I am getting a command to install novacom linux. Whats the next step? where do i find this program?

Many thanks

Ciaran
    Global Posts
    656 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by macker26 View Post
    So I followed all the steps laid out and then I am getting a command to install novacom linux. Whats the next step? where do i find this program?

Many thanks

Ciaran
    You'll find a link in the first post of the WebOS Quick Install thread. Look here: http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-7-beyond.html
  14. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cas_esq View Post
    Follow the tutorial; download webOSDoctor. It needs to be in the same folder with Quick Install. If it's not there, QI will ask you to find it. Don't worry about it otherwise. In the event you "brick" your Pre, it will be there to restore it to factory settings. If you ever have to use WebOS Repair Utility, the program will need webOSDoctor to restore whatever file you're looking to fix. (The Repair Utility has its own thread with more info.)

Here's more info on webOSDoctor: Palm - webOS Doctor for Palm Pre for Sprint

I've finally done it. Thanks a lot for your help.

Preware is a saviour. I wasn't expecting the app catalog to be very robust in its offerings but I was quite disappointment after I seeing apps like 'TubeApp' being advertised on Palm's UK website only to find out it's not even on the app catalog. I have no idea what Palm's strategy is but they really need to do something about the app catalog.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by Dew; 11/07/2009 at 09:17 AM.
  15. Dew
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Ok I don't know why my post needed moderation but this is essentially a double post so I'm editing it and putting it in my previous post.
    Last edited by Dew; 11/07/2009 at 09:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    http://www.precentral.net/how-to-install-homebrew-apps

This article should make anyone feel comfortable with putting Homebrew Apps onto their Pre. Just remember, these apps are at your own risk and PreCentral takes no liability for you borking your phone (no ones done it yet with homebrew).

Any questions feel free to post here with questions and comments!

-Darth
    Is there a way to transfer H.B. Apps from one Pre to another?
    I have one defective Pre that has H.B. apps that aren't available in H.B. section anymore. I am hoping to tranfer them to my new Pre.
    Any Ideas on how to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjams4him View Post
    Is there a way to transfer H.B. Apps from one Pre to another?
    I have one defective Pre that has H.B. apps that aren't available in H.B. section anymore. I am hoping to tranfer them to my new Pre.
    Any Ideas on how to do this?

they may be available in the official catalog, usually graduates of the homebrew who have official catalog versions, are pulled from the homebrew listing.

If the problem is that the official catalog only has a paid version, you may not find a-lot of people willing to help you, as it is basically circumventing the developers way of earning a living, or a little extra pocket change, by copying their hard work. I am not saying or insinuating that you have malicious intent, just stating that you may find help hard to come by because the information could be used in such a manner by the unscrupulous.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I've been using fileCoaster for several months and it has worked perfectly untill yesterday. All I get when I try to load the Homebrew List is a long error message and my Pre locks up for a while (30 seconds). Just trying to figure out if problem is on my end.
    Well I got my Pre over the weekend and just got filecoaster installed to me phone without a problem but when I choose Homebrew list I get a hug e error message that starts with failed while parsing,xml not found.............

What do I need to do to fix this?
    I'm getting that as well. Never had it before. I had to reset my phone, so I had to reinstall. It WAS working before the reset. Now I get a bunch of coding from the parsing error when I try to load the app list.
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast