Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When I travel I'm always looking for a place to work before or after meetings. That place needs good, fresh coffee and fast wireless Internet access. A little food and some good music doesn't hurt either. Starbucks coffee shops are usually perfect for my needs so I wanted a one-click solution to finding the nearest Starbucks location.

This app takes advantage of the GPS in your Pre to get your current location and then display a map with the nearest Starbucks coffee shops.

(It's probably also the fastest way to get your latitude, longitude, altitude and location on a Google map.)

Download from here: Get Starbucks

You can specify a distance using a mileage slider: in a big city you want to specify 1-2 miles. In more remote areas you can search up to 20 miles (my personal limit for coffee, but I'm open to suggestions). The map will zoom to the appropriate scale for your search.

We currently use Google Maps to find the Starbucks locations. Unfortunately, their information seems to be a little out-of-date in the areas we have tested. We are trying to get a better database and hope to get an updated version out soon. But in the meantime, we want to get some feedback on the user interface, and your ideas for other types of locations we might add to the maps (are there other national chains we should add).

Change Log:

Ver. 0.3.1

• Updated distance slider graphic to make current setting more visible when finger is on the slider
    • Added "Horizontal Accuracy" information on main page below lat/long/altitude. If you are having trouble getting maps, or your place on the map is wrong please let me know the your real location and the horizontal accuracy number. You can easily report problems using the Contact page, from the app menu on the top left of the screen.
    • Improved GPS error reporting.
    • Increased time to get GPS fix to see if that improves accuracy.

Ver. 0.3.0

• First upload into Homebrew catalog.
    Last edited by redhat; 08/12/2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Uploaded new version, add info to change log
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Doesn't the Where app already do this?

Also, the link doesn't work.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Can't find it, link broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Doesn't the Where app already do this?

Also, the link doesn't work.
    Yes where does do this but the list isnt complete i.e. no kroger starbucks listed ect...

This as the OP stated is a ONE CLick solution. Not opening where then waiting and confirming you are still at the same address then clicking the starbucks link. Just open and go...

Thanks OP I am a java head
    SCK Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by redhat View Post
    When I travel I'm always looking for a place to work before or after meetings. That place needs good, fresh coffee and fast wireless Internet access. A little food and some good music doesn't hurt. Starbucks coffee shops are usually perfect for my needs so I wanted a one-click solution to finding the nearest Starbucks location.

This app takes advantage of the GPS in your Pre to get your current location and then display a map with the nearest Starbucks coffee shops.

You can specify a distance using a mileage slider: in a big city you want to specify 1-2 miles. In more remote areas you can search up to 20 miles (my personal limit for coffee, but I'm open to suggestions). The map will zoom to the appropriate scale for your search.

We currently use Google Maps to find the Starbucks locations. Unfortunately, their information seems to be a little out-of-date in the areas we have tested. We are trying to get a better database and hope to get an updated version out soon. But in the meantime, we want to get some feedback on the user interface, and your ideas for other types of locations we might add to the maps (are there other national chains we should add).

Download from Homebrew catalog: Get Starbucks
    Need a Dunkin Dounuts also.
    This is pretty good--it was more accurate than Where for my nearest Starbucks.

Couple comments:
    Would be cool to have a dark brown motif.

Also, I highly recommend putting the selected range above the slider. For small ranges, I can't see the range I'm selecting because it's obscured by my finger.
  7.    #8  
    Thanks for publishing this so quickly Dieter. This is my first app for any kind of phone so go easy on me guys. I was thrilled just to see it working!

jbg7474, I wasn't sure about the slider either. I wanted to experiment with different user interface elements and this seemed like a good way to visualize the distance input. You suggestion is good though. I'll fix that in the next release.

alvin319, as a kid from New Jersey I would love to have some Dunkin' Donuts every now and then! But, they're not nationwide (none in Utah as fast as I know) and they don't have WiFi do they? I was really going for places that I could drink coffee and work so Starbucks was the most obvious choice.

I don't like depending on Google for the location information. It was convenient as a first step, but in my area at least they list several locations that don't exist. So I'm trying to come up with my own database to make it really accurate.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I have an idea. I normally keep my GPS off to conserve battery life. When I launch sprint nav, first it asks to allow location services, the it say "your gps is off. Would you like to turn it on?" and lets you pick yes or exit. This is alot more convinent than going back to the settings to turn it on. As far as I know, this is the only app that checks the gps status for you. Please try to implement this query into your starbucks app.
    My Where app is showing the Kroger locations as well as Super Target and Randall's locations.
    would it be possible when finding that location in the app, searching its menu, seeing if it has wifi, prices wtc. That would make it easier to decide which starbucks to go to if there's many around you, oreven just to decide what you want when you get there.
  11.    #12  
    rexalbel, yes I'm trying to get my own database for locations, and information about them. In particular, I'd like to get the store hours.

cwgtex, that's a good idea. I keep my Bluetooth and GPS on all the time and have not noticed a problem with battery life. But I know others leave everything off. I'll see if I can figure out how to turn GPS on/off with my app.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redhat View Post
    Thanks for publishing this so quickly Dieter. This is my first app for any kind of phone so go easy on me guys. I was thrilled just to see it working!

jbg7474, I wasn't sure about the slider either. I wanted to experiment with different user interface elements and this seemed like a good way to visualize the distance input. You suggestion is good though. I'll fix that in the next release.

alvin319, as a kid from New Jersey I would love to have some Dunkin' Donuts every now and then! But, they're not nationwide (none in Utah as fast as I know) and they don't have WiFi do they? I was really going for places that I could drink coffee and work so Starbucks was the most obvious choice.

I don't like depending on Google for the location information. It was convenient as a first step, but in my area at least they list several locations that don't exist. So I'm trying to come up with my own database to make it really accurate.
    While I appreciate the effort, the app is redundant.... first of all.. the app is already in the Where App. Second, why make one for starbucks, when the wifi in starbucks is not free.. you have to pay for it, and it is done through tmobile i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTracte View Post
    While I appreciate the effort, the app is redundant.... first of all.. the app is already in the Where App. Second, why make one for starbucks, when the wifi in starbucks is not free.. you have to pay for it, and it is done through tmobile i think.
    WiFi at Starbucks is free (for 2 hours a day) if you register your Starbucks card. AT&T provides the WiFi -- AT&T allows free access in Starbucks if you have an AT&T DSL account at home.
    lately when i am trying to install apps on my pre I get an install error. what causes this?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacdragon View Post
    lately when i am trying to install apps on my pre I get an install error. what causes this?
    Most likely you hit the limit for non-Palm apps.. it seems to be a variable number.. different people get different results.. something between 40 and 60 apps installed and 'no-mo'.. delete something and see if it works.
    how can i change that to unlimited
    how do i delete apps from pre and or change the limit of non palm aps
  18.    #19  
    New version 0.3.1 posted. Better error handling. Minor visual improvements.

Also, I now display the "Horizontal Accuracy" as reported by the Pre's location function. If you are getting bad maps (your location doesn't look right) let me know where you really are at the time, geographically as well as whether you are indoors, outdoors, basement, tunnel, etc. and include that Horizontal Accuracy number.

You can easily send error reports and suggestions directly from the app. Click the app menu (top left of screen) and select Contact. The button will open an e-mail message containing the current version number. Add a description of your problem/suggestion.
    cool...that seems to be a very nice app :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast