Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    BlocknRoll is Tetris with a WebOS twist.

The falling block can be controlled not just with the keyboard, but also with dragging or flicking gestures on the touchscreen or tilting the device.

Find the App in the Homebrew Gallery: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/blocknroll

Version 0.0.2 changes:

1) Added support for block dragging (although it's not 100% correct yet - updates to follow).
    2) Added grid/guide lines
    3) Narrowed the playing area
    4) Moved the score and next-piece items to the side
    5) Added prompting for a name for new highscores
    6) Thickened the outline of the playing area and made background graphic darker
    7) Replaced block transparency gradient image
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by locoforloco; 08/16/2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: New version posted
    I don't see it in the homebrew gallery!

Is it too soon to appear there?
  3.    #3  
    It should be up there soon - I submitted it for review to the moderator just after I started this thread.

There's a bit of a chicken and egg problem with the current app submission process... you must have a forum thread started about the app before you can submit it for review for inclusion in the new app gallery. The moderators are pretty responsive though, so it shouldn't be too long before the app is up there.
    Last edited by locoforloco; 08/08/2009 at 05:26 PM.
    I'm just excited for a game that utilizes the accelerometer!!!
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I do not see it in the File coaster??
    Quote Originally Posted by woodleydog View Post
    I'm just excited for a game that utilizes the accelerometer!!!
    +1
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by acculver View Post
    I do not see it in the File coaster??
    That's because it hasn't been included in the Homebrew app gallery yet (see above post).
    When the Precentral moderator for the Homebrew app gallery reviews the app submission and publishes the post, it should be available through filecoaster.
    Last edited by locoforloco; 08/08/2009 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added quote of above post
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    finally a tetris that isn't a "beta donation" forever *cough *cough
    Nokia 5100 - At&t - Nokia 6310i - At&t - LG Vx3200 - Verizon - Motorola E815 - Verizon - Motorola Razor - Verizon - iPhone-At&t - Pre - Sprint - HTC Evo - Sprint - Samsung Epic - Sprint - Blackberry Curve - Sprint - Evo3D - Sprint - Touchpad - HP
    How I roll since 1999!
    It's been approved for the Gallery and is available.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    It's been approved for the Gallery and is available.
    Thanks - that was pretty fast!

I've just updated the link on the original post above to point directly to the app in the gallery.
    Precentral rules!
    this could be a kool app. i will give it a try. thanx
  12. yoe
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    As a HUGE tetris fan (for the past 20 years), I'm very appreciative when people program tetris (especially for the Pre) but the touch screen in this version isn't very practical, check out the official Tetris for the iPhone, they definitely got it right. Also, the borders of the screen aren't clear on your version, and I wish the game had sound effects.. also how do I enter my name in the highscore?
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    I think It might take a while to get a hang of the controls, but nice work. It just needs some annoying music so we can complain about it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoe View Post
    As a HUGE tetris fan (for the past 20 years), I'm very appreciative when people program tetris (especially for the Pre) but the touch screen in this version isn't very practical, check out the official Tetris for the iPhone, they definitely got it right. Also, the borders of the screen aren't clear on your version, and I wish the game had sound effects.. also how do I enter my name in the highscore?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll definitely check out the official iPhone version to get a sense for what you're looking for for the touch control aspect.

I can easily increase the border visibility, and will do so for the next release.

As far as sound goes, I did have the initial version of audio support in the code, but removed it before I posted the current version, because I haven't implemented an options page yet which would allow it to be turned off. And, I'm still waiting on a friend of mine to produce the full set of sound effects and theme music. Rest assured, it'll find it's way back in there... probably not in the next few versions, but eventually.

Entering your name for a highscore is coming in the next release.
    Last edited by locoforloco; 08/08/2009 at 07:14 PM.
    Definitely a keeper...

For me as a "one handed person" I would love to see the swipe left or right a faster responce time or even a hold,move, release feature if possible (for left or right movements only) not the up and down movements. I have not played it long enough yet but I assume it will get faster as you go along, so like I said a faster left, right movement would be great. I would also like "force block to fall to bottom" to be fast at the start then slow back up twords the bottom half of the fall that way you have time to change columns if needed. One last thing is "cheating" guide line's in between the columns would also be great to help eye where the block will fall.

But as it is this is a Great APP and will always be on my pre...

Great work..
    Last edited by michaelrj; 08/08/2009 at 07:54 PM.
    Yay!! LOVE IT... excited to see some updates coming up! Whoop Whoop BLOCKnROLL
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    Definitely a keeper...

For me as a "one handed person" I would love to see the swipe left or right a faster responce time or even a hold,move, release feature if possible (for left or right movements only) not the up and down movements. I have not played it long enough yet but I assume it will get faster as you go along, so like I said a faster left, right movement would be great. I would also like "force block to fall to bottom" to be fast at the start then slow back up twords the bottom half of the fall that way you have time to change columns if needed. One last thing is "cheating" guide line's in between the columns would also be great to help eye where the block will fall.

But as it is this is a Great APP and will always be on my pre...

Great work..
    Thanks for the feedback - all excellent suggestions.
    These were already on my to-do list, so expect to see them included over the next few releases.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Nice app! It's an addicting game for sure. Great work.
    Very cool, especially the accelerometer control.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Wow this is indeed an awesome twist. Thanks for bring Tetris to my Pre.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast