Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    love it
    What we really need is to be able to drag the block left and right instead of flick it once. Otherwise the touch control is acceptable though not perfect.

Also, Tetris does not have that wide of a playing area. Way too many columns.
    Yeah, i was gonna say, the playing field is too wide. I suggest moving the score info as well as the "next piece" icon to the side. This would make the field skinnier and taller, and it'll be a better tetris game for it...

also it might be nice to add a "silhouette" feature that shows the user where the block will land. either that or incorporate a grid into the background so it'll be easier to trace trajectory.

I also think it would be neat to be able to have 1:1 control over the horizontal movement of the blocks using the touch screen. the current setup is too slow...

i think you have a great concept, keep up the good work...
    Well,

This game is good but you copied some items from one of my previous releases of Blockdrop and added your own modifications. You even copied the gradient graphic I did for the blocks in one of my previous versions of BlockDrop and turned it around.

I'm working over a month on this game and its not fair what you have done.

At least you should have asked for permission to Cezary or myself, I have no problem sharing what I do.

Dan
    Love the initial release. Keep up the good work.
    Elchileno... Seriously, you got your version and he has his FREE version. The only thing that's not fair is that you are in essence selling a *beta* app. Grow up, and back up your claims instead of posting crap in here. Not to mention the fact that you linked to YOUR app 2 times in your post... You really stuck a nerve with me tonight. Mods do me a favor and delete his post followed by mine.

But onto the app, good deal. Is nice but as with any beta app needs some update loves which seem to be coming. Basically as others have said needs to be narrower, sounds would be cool (already mentioned),dragging peices would be huge! But otherwise no complaints and cheers on a great app.
    Last edited by davenukem; 08/09/2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elchileno View Post
    Well,

This game is good but you copied some items from one of my previous releases of Blockdrop and added your own modifications. You even copied the gradient graphic I did for the blocks in one of my previous versions of BlockDrop and turned it around.

At least you should have asked for permission to Cezary or myself, I have no problem sharing what I do.

Dan
    Once a sellout, always a sellout
    Nokia 5100 - At&t - Nokia 6310i - At&t - LG Vx3200 - Verizon - Motorola E815 - Verizon - Motorola Razor - Verizon - iPhone-At&t - Pre - Sprint - HTC Evo - Sprint - Samsung Epic - Sprint - Blackberry Curve - Sprint - Evo3D - Sprint - Touchpad - HP
    How I roll since 1999!
    You guys are being really unfair to the developer of BlockDrop. What he charges for his app, and I agree a forced donation is a price and not a donation at all, is completely irrelevant to whether or not someone has a right to copy his work. Shame on the developer for thieving work that's not his, even if it's stolen from a sellout.
    locoforloco send me a PM with what you need and I'll hook you up with some badass graphics for this game. I'm more than happy to help. I'm the author of this app so you can get an idea of what I can do.

I'll make the game look cool and it will get rid of this whining about a bunch of pixels.

Seriously, person A who based a game on someone elses code whining about person B doing the same thing is too ridiculous to even talk about.

Nice job so far locoforloco! Glad to see a free Tetris game evolve!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Also, from the JSJSJS $Tetris$ $page$:

JsJsJs $Tetris$ $is$ $an$ $open$ $source$ $project$, $source$ $codes$ $are$ $available$ $for$ $download$. $You$ $can$ $put$ $tetris$ $on$ $your$ $own$ $web$ $site$, $you$ $can$ $change$ $the$ $look$ $of$ $the$ $game$ $and$ $even$ $modify$ $the$ $game$ $mechanics$, $it$ $is$ $easy$ $because$ $the$ $game$ $is$ $written$ $in$ $Javascript$ $which$ $is$ $the$ $most$ $popular$ $programming$ $language$ $for$ $the$ $web$.
    So apparently no permission is needed. This is 'fair game'. We can have 10 Tetris games for the Pre based on this game core.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcettison View Post
    You guys are being really unfair to the developer of BlockDrop. What he charges for his app, and I agree a forced donation is a price and not a donation at all, is completely irrelevant to whether or not someone has a right to copy his work. Shame on the developer for thieving work that's not his, even if it's stolen from a sellout.
    Thieving? use your words properly, Tetris source code is widely available over the internet under fair use.

for example JSJSJS $Tetris$
    JsTetris | freshmeat.net

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Also, from the JSJSJS $Tetris$ $page$:

So apparently no permission is needed. This is 'fair game'. We can have 10 Tetris games for the Pre based on this game core.

Exactly,
    Fair use is Fair use, no exceptions.
    You want closed source?
    Not only pick a different game to clone but pick a different platform.

We reward early developers with donatations, and elchileno's donations are WELL DESERVED. BlockDrop looks and feels fantastic.

However, elchileno must not call thievery for something like this. Fair use is fair use.

Trust me, this is why i don't dive into development anymore after college, the disappointment of seeing someone doing the same thing is enormous

please don't take me for some kind of hateful person,
    BlockDrop(was pretris) is seriously an amazing presentatio, and should be heavily rewarded. My key point here is, BlocknRoll should not be considered thievery!!!
    Trust me, there is room for both applications on our 7GB of available space on the Pre
    Last edited by Glod; 08/10/2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: extra information
    whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Thanks for the game! I enjoyed trying/playing it. Don't wanna be forced to "donate" for a game I play maybe once a month.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elchileno View Post
    Well,

Dan
    If you have no problem sharing what you do then your app would be FREE. Even Microsoft does free betas!

Thanks for the app locoforloco!! I look forward to more updates!
    Keeeeeewwwwwwllllllll!!!!

Love it! Keep up the great work!
  15.    #35  
    Hey all,

Sorry for the delay - it's been a rough week at work and at home, and so I just got around to getting back to working on BlocknRoll yesterday and today.

The new version is now posted to the Homebrew app gallery.
    I've updated the first post in the thread to list out the changes and additions for this version.

Please note - the drag block left/right feature is implemented, but it's a bit twitchy in the current version. I'm looking into it, and plan on making it work more smoothly in the next version.

Of course, plenty more additions and change are on the way.

Thanks very much for the words of support, and please keep the feedback and suggestions for improvement coming.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I actually prefer the dragging to all other control methods. it seems like you could make dragging work better by accepting dragging input anywhere on the screen. to do this tho youd have to get rid of the flick gestures. I think the best option would be to make an option for either flick OR drag. also, allow the player to drag the block down.

all in all, great app. cant wait to see this progress.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    It's much better than Pretris or BlockDrop, which doesn't seem to get faster when you get to a higher level. That's just boring when you're used to the real thing. Plus the lag in BlockDrop is a deal breaker.

I just wish the keys were a little closer together in BlocknRoll and there was a key for speeding up the going down, without blasting it to the ground with one press.

Keep up the good work!
    I think at the end of the day we cannot blame developers for asking for donations to help them out.. After all it was certain people on this this site (not complaining about it, as i have donated for blockdrop) that encouraged these developers to include donation links.
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    The responsiveness of BlockNRoll is tons better than BlockDrop. It registers every swipe I make perfectly while I find myself flicking the screen with nothing happening a lot in BlockDrop.

Also: I'm in touch with locoforloco and will be joining his efforts to make this game look incredible visually.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodleydog View Post
    I'm just excited for a game that utilizes the accelerometer!!!
    +1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12