Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so, here's the last launcher-type app that I was working on. Was working on this in conjunction with GoogyOS & WindyLive. This time this app is based off of an iPhone app that I never really got much work accomplished on for some reason. My inspiration for the WebOS version was to create a version of the Yahoo! Go! app, available for other phones, for the Palm PrPrPr&#$275$; . . .

Yahoo! Go. The best Internet experience for your phone. Period.

So, I downloaded a .jar version of that app for the Nokia E17 (yay for switching the user agent in Safari) & found the urls that the app displays. They are slightly different than the normal ones used with Fallback Widget and contain some that you normally can't navigate to from that site. I've included all of the Yahoo-produced pages/gadgets/widgets things that I've found via the urls (there are tons of 3rd party ones on the gallery page: http://new.m.yahoo.com/w/gallery . Some widgets/gadgets were duplicates of the normally viewed yahoo pages so, they were not included. And there were some that wouldn't load unless you were running the actual Yahoo! Go! app.

so, without further adu, I present:

YahooyOS Version 1.0.9 - 8/10/09

1.0.9 is now live!

Initial features:
    *Support for almost all Yahoo mobile web apps
    *Added support for Social Pulse
    *Added a donate link to the menu. Trying it out for now. Opinions/ideas of it are welcome
    *Switched urls for Flickr & Buzz. Thanks to girlie_mac on the precentral.net forums for the suggestion.
    *Fixed a bug in the sources.json file that I somehow seemed to miss

A couple of things to fix though:
    *Need to center icon titles

Future things I'm going to add:
    *help menu with topics to choose from

Very future things to add:
    *Move bookmarks around?
    *Move/reorder icons/buttons around
    *Add glossy look to the icons/backgrounds, move icons around, custom backgrounds

Feel free to post comments/ suggestions here or PM me.

Download the latest version (1.0.9) in the Homebrew section

Like the software that I'm developing? Feel free to donate

Attached Images Attached Images
    When will it be available to download?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Niris777 View Post
    When will it be available to download?
    As soon as a mod reviews it. Shouldn't be too long, I hope
    Ok! Will be waiting to try it out
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Niris777 View Post
    Ok! Will be waiting to try it out
    Awesome I'll post a message when the homebrew page goes live
    Cool thanks!
    published!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    published!
    Thanks! wOoT! The homebrew page is live!
    Don't you think the name is too close to actual yahoo

But another app I can use and delete the yahoo launcher I got.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Don't you think the name is too close to actual yahoo

But another app I can use and delete the yahoo launcher I got.
    Eh, a little. I tried thinking of a different name but couldn't come up with anything. Any name suggestions are welcome. Awesome that people are already finding this app useful
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Great app! I use a number of Yahoo! services, so this is very convenient. I wish it had a button for fantasy baseball instead of cricket, but you can't have it all, I guess!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cderekg72 View Post
    Great app! I use a number of Yahoo! services, so this is very convenient. I wish it had a button for fantasy baseball instead of cricket, but you can't have it all, I guess!
    Thanks! I'm just glad that people are finding my apps useful. I'll try & see if I missed the fantasy baseball url. And if I did, I'll put it in the next version

edit: Just did a quick check & didn't find any fantasy baseball urls on yahoo's mobile site thing. Sorry
    Great app. I dont know if its just me but scaling of browser on Pre is going nutts. All mobile sites that worked a day ago now wont fit screen on Pre. anyone with same issue? Help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan View Post
    Great app. I dont know if its just me but scaling of browser on Pre is going nutts. All mobile sites that worked a day ago now wont fit screen on Pre. anyone with same issue? Help
    Happens to me, too. Never happened before update 1.1

Makes me wish there was an auto scaling button like Netfront and Opera mobile.

eisnerguy1:
    Thanks for all the launcher apps, they were really nice. I wonder if it's a good idea to bundle all 3 into one app, and you swipe left to switch between big G, Y! and Win Live, just as on the stock launcher.

I do think it would look much better if you remove the gray box around each icon, and put the titles right bellow the icons, then if you implement custom wallpapers, it would look even nicer then the webOS launcher
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    Happens to me, too. Never happened before update 1.1

Makes me wish there was an auto scaling button like Netfront and Opera mobile.

eisnerguy1:
    Thanks for all the launcher apps, they were really nice. I wonder if it's a good idea to bundle all 3 into one app, and you swipe left to switch between big G, Y! and Win Live, just as on the stock launcher.

I do think it would look much better if you remove the gray box around each icon, and put the titles right bellow the icons, then if you implement custom wallpapers, it would look even nicer then the webOS launcher
    I'm having the same scaling issue with the emulator (thought it was just me). Kinda weird that that's happening considering the WebOS browser is based off of Safari & the iPhone's MobileSafari has no problem scaling the sites properly. Probably just a WebOS 1.1 issue.

I'm actually considering & trying to figure out how to bundle all 3 into one launcher. Custom wallpapers & fixing up the icons are on my list of things to do. Need to study up/ gain more experience with WebOS though. Gonna try & get that O'Reilly WebOS development book soon. Thanks for thinking that it would look better than the WebOS launcher

Oh & I'm adding 2 more sites, that I missed, to the next version (1.0.3): Eurosport Football & Find-A-Movie
    (Those, plus the ones already in my app, should be all of the yahoo-built/developed mobile sites/widgets things that you can add in the "Yahoo! Go!" mobile app, version 3.0.47)

Should have the update out sometime later today
  16.    #16  
    wOot! my 100th post! Uploaded a new version (1.0.3). Should be on the homebrew page soon. Waiting for a mod to review it. Added support for Eurosport Football and Find-A-Movie. Set up a paypal donate thing for those who want to donate
  17.    #17  
    I'll post when the new version is live in the homebrew section. Hopefully it'll be reviewed today.
  18.    #18  
    Did another small update in the meantime (1.0.6). Added support for one more site that I missed, Social Pulse & added a donate link to the menu. Trying it out for now. Not too sure if it's too intrusive to put that there. Opinions/views on the subject are welcome. Will post again when the new version (1.0.6) is live.
    Oooo, it's cool to see this app, especially because I used to be the one who was in charge of the Yahoo! Mobile web front-end!
    That viewport issue is likely to be on Yahoo!'s fault. They may have messed up with their device DB. (user-agent detection may be wrong or something. I'll ask somebody who still work there.)

And yeah, I'd suggest you should use m.flickr.com for Flickr, as Flickr team has done a better mobile web app!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast