Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 114
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecream View Post
    So it always defaults to 5s everytime you launch the app? But changing the update interval does work right while the app is running, right?

    Yeah I think I know what the issue is, I added the param but didn't add it to the cookie.
    Yes it does appear to be updating my location properly at the defined interval. It just does not change the setting when I close/reopen the app.
  2. #82  
    Ok this should do the trick with not saving the update interval on app launch/close.
    Attached Files Attached Files
  3. elryon's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecream View Post
    This app definitely doesn't continue to update once you close the card. I am curious to see how they do background processes on the Pre. I'd have to guess its a cron job. Will take a look at cell stalker.
    I just recently set up a cron that does the job that the app did. It gets the gps data (currently set to 30 minutes to test battery life), and sends it to a modified version of the php files from the app. The site now updates at the set intervals (or as close as possible). I even included additional data such as accuracy and battery percentage... working great so far, will see how the battery life does after today.
    Avatar on Left Patch
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

    Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

    Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
  4. ssrjazz's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by Etgen View Post
    ssrjazz, is it generating google-cookie.txt and do you have the latitude widget on your igoogle page?
    Nope... no google-cookie.txt
  5. Etgen's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #85  
    Here are my php files to update latitude.

    Make sure you have the latitude widget on you iGoogle homepage.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Etgen; 09/25/2009 at 08:29 AM.
  6. #86  
    Should longitude be updating the server even when the screen is off and the phone is not charging? I have noticed that it says it is updating the location on the Longitude card, but it does not appear to be sending this information to the web server unless I have the phone active at the time.
  7. #87  
    Yup it should be updating even if the screen is off, the phone is not charging, or the card is not the active card. However, I noticed that if I get a call while I have tracking on, the logging will stop even after I hang up the call. The card still updates the "Last Updated" and continues to try sending updates, but my server doesn't get it. Not sure why sprint's network doesn't allow data and voice at the same time. But it seems that once interrupted, you need to close the Longitude and reopen it to continue sending updates.
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecream View Post
    Yup it should be updating even if the screen is off, the phone is not charging, or the card is not the active card. However, I noticed that if I get a call while I have tracking on, the logging will stop even after I hang up the call. The card still updates the "Last Updated" and continues to try sending updates, but my server doesn't get it. Not sure why sprint's network doesn't allow data and voice at the same time. But it seems that once interrupted, you need to close the Longitude and reopen it to continue sending updates.
    Maybe that's what I'm experiencing. I make/receive calls all day long so that could be what's interrupting the upload to the web. Is there anyway to make it still update after a call ends? Seems strange that it would just quit trying to send the data even once a data connection has been re-established. It makes the app kind of worthless if I need to keep relaunching it after every single call.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Etgen View Post
    Here are my php files to update latitude.
    Hey Etgen, I couldn't get your php files to update latitude.

    These are the files I have on my server:

    index.html (d0lph1nK1ng's file with my google maps api key)
    date.jsjsjs ($d0lph1nK1ng$'$s$ $unmodified$)
    location.dat (d0lph1nK1ng's set to 777)

    saveLocation.php (Etgen's with my username and password inserted at $username = $_GET['dietfluffy']; $password = $_GET['mypassword']
    class.google.php (Etgen's unmodified)
    google-cookie.txt (generated)

    When I check latitude, it says "Current location unavailable." Am I missing something?
  10. Etgen's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by dietfluffy View Post
    Hey Etgen, I couldn't get your php files to update latitude.

    These are the files I have on my server:

    index.html (d0lph1nK1ng's file with my google maps api key)
    date.jsjsjs ($d0lph1nK1ng$'$s$ $unmodified$)
    location.dat (d0lph1nK1ng's set to 777)

    saveLocation.php (Etgen's with my username and password inserted at $username = $_GET['dietfluffy']; $password = $_GET['mypassword']
    class.google.php (Etgen's unmodified)
    google-cookie.txt (generated)

    When I check latitude, it says "Current location unavailable." Am I missing something?
    You need to replace the entire $_GET['username'] and $_GET['password'] with your username and password respectively.

    Like:
    Code:
    $username = 'Etgen';
    $password = '12345';
    Hope this helps.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    Maybe that's what I'm experiencing. I make/receive calls all day long so that could be what's interrupting the upload to the web. Is there anyway to make it still update after a call ends? Seems strange that it would just quit trying to send the data even once a data connection has been re-established. It makes the app kind of worthless if I need to keep relaunching it after every single call.
    Hello all, I've been experimenting with different refresh intervals, and I noticed odd inconsistent behavior. It is possibly network connection issues on my side, I'm not sure. It seems that if I set the refresh interval for anything over 30s-1 mins, the app doesn't seem to send updates to my sever once the screen goes off. I wonder if the device goes into a "sleep" state where it turns off the data connection. I'm looking into the nodoze app and see if maybe that might alleviate this issue.

    If I set the update interval to 5 or 10s, they are far more consistent, 15s gets a littly flaky. At 10s intervals, I measured the updates I get on my webserver and they come in realistically at a rate of 17s. I know that the latency on the 3G network is poor, but this looks more like dropped packets/requests rather than slow latency.

    Let me know if you have noticed the same issues.

    I'm thinking that a cron job might be a better way of doing this; can't be sure until I experiment, but I haven't figured out how to create cronjobs from apps yet.
  12. Etgen's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #92  
    I asked about this and got this suggestion:

    Quote Originally Posted by djpushplay View Post
    You can use the serviceRequest with 'palm://com.palm.power/timeout' to wake up your app. I haven't tried it but I think it should work even when the phone is asleep.
  13. elryon's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by orangecream View Post
    I'm thinking that a cron job might be a better way of doing this; can't be sure until I experiment, but I haven't figured out how to create cronjobs from apps yet.
    I know that the cron job I set up is working pretty good and does update regularly. I have it set to 15min and watched battery life yesterday... there was a noticable impact but small... still had about 60% around 6pm after taking it off charger around 8am. The only problem is the fix during the day is at best accuracy of over 1000... or nearest tower I think. It doesnt always get updated at 15min though.. still has latency or something. I'm going to try and experiment with a different call to the gps location and maybe have it fix twice per script run for a better fix.
    Not sure how to 'create' cronjobs from an app. you would need the ability to create a file in the system folders. If you can do that it should be pretty easy.
    Avatar on Left Patch
    Call Rejecter Patch
    Make your messanger look like the iphone's
    SMS tone per Contact
    No Alert During call

    Thanks are always appreciated or for a really big Thanks you can always:
    (it can go a long way to convince my fiancee that this is worth my time)

    Please feel free to PM for more direct assistance.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Etgen View Post
    You need to replace the entire $_GET['username'] and $_GET['password'] with your username and password respectively.

    Like:
    Code:
    $username = 'Etgen';
    $password = '12345';
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks Etgen, that did the trick.

    Anyone notice that the locations generated by the app can be pretty inaccurate at times? This is strange to me because the location in the Google Maps App is always correct, but sometimes Longitude or Latitude will show me up to a mile away from where I am actually located. This is the case even when the Google Maps App on the phone shows me in the correct location and longitude/latitude says that it had updated a minute before.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by dietfluffy View Post
    Thanks Etgen, that did the trick.

    Anyone notice that the locations generated by the app can be pretty inaccurate at times? This is strange to me because the location in the Google Maps App is always correct, but sometimes Longitude or Latitude will show me up to a mile away from where I am actually located. This is the case even when the Google Maps App on the phone shows me in the correct location and longitude/latitude says that it had updated a minute before.
    Yup. I noticed that if I set the update interval to 1 min or greater, the accuracy goes all over the place. I.e. I'm off by 2-3 blocks. But if I set it to say 10s, the points are much more accurate. I wonder if if when you're not consistently pinging the GPS, it falls back to cell tower triangulation/approximation.
  16. #96  
    I have everything set up and I've set saveLocation.php to 777. The map just shows my general location with no marker. My URLs and everything look good. Any ideas?
  17. #97  
    nvm, I got it... now I just want to make sure it updates. I'm assuming it updates when you leave the blue ring? It still says it's fetching data even though i've closed Longitude.
  18. #98  
    Yea sure enough it works, it just won't stop working. My phone is cooonstantly pushing EVDO... definitely not a fan of always having my location broadcasted. It updates even when the card is closed.
    Last edited by m8rx007; 10/04/2009 at 12:30 PM.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by m8rx007 View Post
    Yea sure enough it works, it just won't stop working. My phone is cooonstantly pushing EVDO... definitely not a fan of always having my location broadcasted. It updates even when the card is closed.
    Odd, that really shouldn't happen. The app in no way is able to run in the background. Check your apache logs and see the saveLocation.php is being fetched constantly by the same source.
  20. #100  
    I actually used the lighttpd method as opposed to Apache... I'm assuming the process is the same though
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions