Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Found a glitch.. I'll be playing and I'll be up to 300k and boom it just randomly says "game over".. Don't understand this.. I'll be at 45k and i'll be in the middle of "jetting" and it says "Game over".. not sure why?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    I have not played it much.. might be something you are already aware of but i ran into this. I blew into brooklyn and when i landed it said huge cocaine bust. i go into look at the prices... there is not cocaine for sale
    Yep. It seems that some slight changes to the pricing engine caused this. I am going to push ahead with the main functionality and tackle these bugs when I make a smarter price engine.

Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Awesome, love the slider for buying, without having to input numbers with keypad!
    My goal is to allow play with one hand and the keyboard closed. I'm trying to design with that idea in mind for all UI. It is forcing a keypad for the Bank and Loan Shark screens, but I think it will be worth it. It makes playing less like working.

Quote Originally Posted by biggamer3 View Post
    Also why is this not in Homebrew so u can get more feedback?
    Either it go moved or I screwed up. I thought I started it there. But with my workload and the basement flooding, I just might be crazy too. My Pre thinks I am.

Quote Originally Posted by tntsniper View Post
    Found a glitch.. I'll be playing and I'll be up to 300k and boom it just randomly says "game over".. Don't understand this.. I'll be at 45k and i'll be in the middle of "jetting" and it says "Game over".. not sure why?
    Were you at day 60? Currently, it plays for 60 days then ends. The day indicator is in title of the main screen. 54/60 55/60, etc. When you Jet to the 60th day, nothing you do would change the money outcome. The drugs you own change value, but selling them or buying others would not change your net worth. If the drugs are not for sale, I credit the average cost of them (i.e. what you paid.)

Eventually, I'll have longer play options. That will require the Preferences screen to be built and functional.

Since I don't have saving and restoring yet, it made sense to make the game end.
    I'm sure it's in work, but I recommend doing something to ramp up the difficulty once you get more and more money. Once you get to the point where you can buy significant quantities of cocaine, it's pretty easy to make a killing. I made like $60M. I played for the full 60 days and only encountered the police once. Seems like you'd want to make the police more "interested" in you as you have more pockets and or more money.

It would also be cool to run into other drug lords who could steal your money, drugs or guns, or you could steal theirs.

But this game is a lot of fun. It is, um, addicting.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Yep. It seems that some slight changes to the pricing engine caused this. I am going to push ahead with the main functionality and tackle these bugs when I make a smarter price engine.

My goal is to allow play with one hand and the keyboard closed. I'm trying to design with that idea in mind for all UI. It is forcing a keypad for the Bank and Loan Shark screens, but I think it will be worth it. It makes playing less like working.

Either it go moved or I screwed up. I thought I started it there. But with my workload and the basement flooding, I just might be crazy too. My Pre thinks I am.

Were you at day 60? Currently, it plays for 60 days then ends. The day indicator is in title of the main screen. 54/60 55/60, etc. When you Jet to the 60th day, nothing you do would change the money outcome. The drugs you own change value, but selling them or buying others would not change your net worth. If the drugs are not for sale, I credit the average cost of them (i.e. what you paid.)

Eventually, I'll have longer play options. That will require the Preferences screen to be built and functional.

Since I don't have saving and restoring yet, it made sense to make the game end.
    Oh okay that makes sense. I wasn't paying attention. It just ended the game.. But I'll keep an eye on that.. it seems like right when i get excited the game ends haha. Good job though, I appreciate the work!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Love the game!!!!! 3 requests

1) a way to close game and thn open later and continue where u left off.
    2) a badge icon on the main screen for when you fight / run from the po-po and win.
    3) maybe when u fight the po-po and win u get his stuff....gun / nite stick cuffs ect, and either use them or sell them to a pawn shop.......maybe.....
    Other wise really a cool game.....im on it all the time. Better graphics and color intergration, which im sure is on the way!!!!!

Keep it up,
    The Wams
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMS View Post
    Love the game!!!!! 3 requests

1) a way to close game and thn open later and continue where u left off.
    This is in the planned features. Right now, backing into the start screen and leaving open would reduce the app to the smallest memory footprint and keep game state.

2) a badge icon on the main screen for when you fight / run from the po-po and win.
    Would that be there just for that turn, or a count?

I'm planning on "heat" levels for each town. If you run from the police, the heat raises by 1 and it takes two days to drop a heat point. If you fight with the police it raises more. This would be displayed on the location selection for Jet, so you know you might want that location to cool off. I think you are asking for something different here. Please elaborate.

3) maybe when u fight the po-po and win u get his stuff....gun / nite stick cuffs ect, and either use them or sell them to a pawn shop.......maybe.....
    I see fighting as just aggressively running. It doesn't mean you are killing or beating the police. They take cover and you get away. So I don't see this fitting in.

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm sure it's in work, but I recommend doing something to ramp up the difficulty once you get more and more money. Once you get to the point where you can buy significant quantities of cocaine, it's pretty easy to make a killing. I made like $60M. I played for the full 60 days and only encountered the police once. Seems like you'd want to make the police more "interested" in you as you have more pockets and or more money.
    I wonder if I broke something with an update. The chances to meet the police should be roughly 5-10% or 3-6 times per game. I have changed it to 100% to test police for a while and I might have made a mistake getting it back to normal. I'll look into it for the next release. Once I implement heat, it will go up after encounters. I think I'm going to have to suppliment the pure random functions I have for prices and encounters right now, to make sure it isn't biased too far in either direction (too often or too few).

It would also be cool to run into other drug lords who could steal your money, drugs or guns, or you could steal theirs.
    I think I will be adding quite a few more events and encounters like this.

But this game is a lot of fun. It is, um, addicting.
    I get you hooked with a little taste, then...
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Would that be there just for that turn, or a count?

I'm planning on "heat" levels for each town. If you run from the police, the heat raises by 1 and it takes two days to drop a heat point. If you fight with the police it raises more. This would be displayed on the location selection for Jet, so you know you might want that location to cool off. I think you are asking for something different here. Please elaborate

YES, A COUNT FEATURE. AND YES I LOVE THE HEAT IDEA ALSO!!!
    THATS WHY YOUR THE DEVELOPER AND I AM THE PLAYER

wtf sorry about the CAPS.....not intended
    The Wams
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    I understand that this will become a non-issue when loans and whatnot are added but in the current version, if your cash hits 0 and you have 0 drugs, you can't do anything but Jet.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    Pure Simple Fun!
    Thx for the app and cant wait for the Updates!!
    ^^^
    - Visit Loan Shark for Loan or Payment
    - Visit Bank for Deposit or Withdrawl
    - Find random drugs on guy in Subway
    - Save game/Restore game
    - Move Buy and Sell buttons down to eliminate conflict with tapping slider.
    www.MTFX.tv
    -Touchpad owner
    sweet game so far
    this is cool but alot is missing and everything should be on one page like the original not going back and fourth
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    I understand that this will become a non-issue when loans and whatnot are added but in the current version, if your cash hits 0 and you have 0 drugs, you can't do anything but Jet.
    Quote Originally Posted by synplex View Post
    Pure Simple Fun!
    Thx for the app and cant wait for the Updates!!
    ^^^
    - Visit Loan Shark for Loan or Payment
    - Visit Bank for Deposit or Withdrawl
    You both will want to get the latest version. Available now. Your problems will be fixed.

Added Bank and Loan Shark. CSS is kinda crude, but they are functional. Still tried to keep with the playing with Pre closed and with one hand idea. Let me know what you think.

Loan Shark limit is $55k. Should that be on the Loan shark screen or are the error messages enough info?
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vennumm View Post
    this is cool but alot is missing and everything should be on one page like the original not going back and fourth
    I will have a configuration option that will open trade after jump. The one page option just will not work when more options are added. It would be fine for the simple Dope Wars, but this will be more than a simple Dope Wars.
  14.    #34  
    I did a quick update and kept the version number the same. If you got the app before 11:30 PM and you find out that you just keep getting pockets more and more, you have the version where I was increasing the chances instead of decreasing them. Just download it again and all should be well.
    Found another glitch. If you jet and tap too quickly afterward when a pop-up is supposed to happen (i.e. cops show up), the game freezes. It is probably an obscure enough bug that most people will not notice, but I happen to be a software tester by trade so I tend to find those kinds of things.

The screenshot was taken from version 4.0 but I was able to get it to happen on version 4.5 as well.

dope wars bug screenshot
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fireyfuzzball View Post
    found another glitch. If you jet and tap too quickly afterward when a pop-up is supposed to happen (i.e. Cops show up), the game freezes. It is probably an obscure enough bug that most people will not notice, but i happen to be a software tester by trade so i tend to find those kinds of things.

The screenshot was taken from version 4.0 but i was able to get it to happen on version 4.5 as well.

dope wars bug screenshot
    +1
    i had it happen a few times on the first version aswell.
    The Wams
    Also maybe I'm not doing something right but I have never once yet survived a cop when I decided to fight them... even after upgrading to glock and even shotgun.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fireyfuzzball View Post
    Found another glitch. If you jet and tap too quickly afterward when a pop-up is supposed to happen (i.e. cops show up), the game freezes. It is probably an obscure enough bug that most people will not notice, but I happen to be a software tester by trade so I tend to find those kinds of things.

The screenshot was taken from version 4.0 but I was able to get it to happen on version 4.5 as well.
    I've replicated this as well. Haven't played 4.5 but have busts/floods been fixed to be accurate? Pretty much the only incomplete feature that bugs me.

Otherwise, looks great, keep up the good work, your update pace is just how I like it.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    I've replicated this as well. Haven't played 4.5 but have busts/floods been fixed to be accurate? Pretty much the only incomplete feature that bugs me.
    I'll be rewriting the random engine for prices, busts, floods, police, pockets, and guns as my next task. This will address those issues. Currently only 1 bust and 1 flood is allowed, but any should be allowed due to random situations.

I will be storing current prices for each location and the random generation will push prices, but not totally change them (with the exception of busts). Also, your buying and selling will affect prices. Buying a bunch because it is cheap will reduce supply and push up prices at that location. Selling a bunch will increase supply and push down prices.

I'm going to switch back to street level prices for everything (rather than having kilo prices for the big guns.) When you get to a certain level, you will be able to change jobs. Move up in the organization, so to speak.

The re-factoring of code I'm doing with the prices will include capability to be at the different levels. My ideas are street level, wholesaler, smuggler (flying planes, driving boats), drug kingpin. Each will have different events and different price structures. Same basic game play, but more choices the higher you go.

Also adding the idea of health. You won't get immediately killed by Police, 'cause what is the fun in that. But when your health goes to 0, you do die. Also, the Loan Shark giving you reminders will affect your health a little. As will ditching a plane, because you are trying to escape the coast guard.
    Had it freeze up on me just now after jetting. Back gesture would bring me into card view.

Edit: Just so there is no confusion, this was in 0.4.0

Last edited by mrjcarter; 08/07/2009 at 10:39 AM.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast