Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsongrantr View Post
    preware looks nice, I'd love to give it a shot.... when it's available....

next question... when is it available? lol

seriously though, scope/estimate? days, weeks or months you think?
    Rick is hoping to recruit developers at PreDevCamp.

We've got an initial version of ipkgservice written, but not tested.

I'd say it will be weeks - we're in no hurry.

This will be the only on-device app that can do the serious hard-core homebrew installs that need root access. For that, you need to handle security very carefully, so you don't want to rush development.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/09/2009 at 11:32 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    So this was a lot of work for little old me:

[url]

[url]

Bugs? Tell us

More improvements on the way!
    Thanks for this! Shouldn't my forums.precentral.net login work here? For me it does not.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    can you see how many downloads their have been of our apps with this new setup? You could see this before in the forum posts... Thanks!
    I did not know if I should post this here or in the filecoaster forum.

I don't know if it is a bug, link was down etc.. or just a Pre brain fart but... for the first time today (never had a problem before) it would not load the apps it just said loading application list. I tried a few minutes later with same message closed filecoaster and same thing. Pre web browser worked ok so I know had signal reception. It would not work until I rebooted the Pre. Now works great again.
    thanks app works great.is it any way to make a copy an past app
    I would love to see a flickr app.. is this possible
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel925fm View Post
    Great Idea but I don't see one of the best apps out there at this point. PreLoad...
    PreLoad is not a very good app.. Yet... I wouldn't come on here and brag about your own app. You could very well copy and upload these apps to your directory if you wanted to. PreLoad has the potential to be great, but PreCentral is obviously the authority and central community for Palm Pre Homebrew. If you want PreLoad to gain significance, it would be wise for you to elect to align yourself with PreCentral Operators and see if they are interested in joining ventures, but right now it just doesn't make sense to have multiple Homebrew sources. Filecoaster and PreCentral are just dominating this Homebrew community with class, elegance and professionalism. The world just isn't ready for a PreLoad

Great job to all developers, especially Webosdeveloper with Active Home Screen; that is a really nice app! Keep Brewing all ye Homebrew Underground!
    Quote Originally Posted by efaucett View Post
    PreLoad is not a very good app.. Yet... I wouldn't come on here and brag about your own app. You could very well copy and upload these apps to your directory if you wanted to. PreLoad has the potential to be great, but PreCentral is obviously the authority and central community for Palm Pre Homebrew. If you want PreLoad to gain significance, it would be wise for you to elect to align yourself with PreCentral Operators and see if they are interested in joining ventures, but right now it just doesn't make sense to have multiple Homebrew sources. Filecoaster and PreCentral are just dominating this Homebrew community with class, elegance and professionalism. The world just isn't ready for a PreLoad
    Irrespective of the relative features and useability of various installer apps and repository sites (which I won't comment on, as it's all subjective opinion anyway, so there is no right answer for everyone), I don't think a monoculture serves the community well.

I want to see a multiplicity of good app sites and installers, all of which use common interoperable standards so that users can get *any* app using *any* installer from *any* site, and so that app authors only need to submit to *one* site (of their choice, not the one that just happens to be most popular with users at that point in time) to get their app in front of *all* users without any impediments.

That's the only way to stop this negativity and concentrate on the real task of making great apps for the Pre and getting them in the hands of as many users as possible.

You need to ask the question of anyone who does not subscribe to this view: "Who are you really working for? The users and developers, or the popularity of your own site?"

Note that both PreCentral.net and PimpMyPre.com have agreed to make their respective app catalogs available to everyone using the standard ipkg feed format, so they both subscribe to this view of doing what's best for the users and developers. Preware.org has always used this standard ipkg feed format.

I'm now waiting to see which of the installer apps will support the open ipkg feed format, and which will use a proprietary feed format that will tie users of that installer app to a particular repository, thereby reducing the choice of apps that the user will have when using that installer.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/09/2009 at 10:17 PM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Great idea and it looks great.
    mike
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    So this was a lot of work for little old me:

Bugs? Tell us

More improvements on the way!
    Dieter,

Not sure why, but I can not get these to sort in release date order on my phone. Any chance to have the default as newest first?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if you already answered this and I missed it somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    Dieter,

Not sure why, but I can not get these to sort in release date order on my phone. Any chance to have the default as newest first?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if you already answered this and I missed it somewhere.
    I think its been mentioned a few times, but I agree that it would be really awesome. Its frustrating to scroll through the whole list every time, but its still better than having to plug in my phone to install an app!
    ready to give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    Dieter,

If not, could you set it up so when you click on the Date link it sorts by most recent first instead of oldest first? As of now you must click 2 times to get it in the useful order.
    Laissez Faire
    Someone really needs to develope a memory allocation app or else the Homebrew front is going to come crashing to a halt. If individuals can only get a few apps on befreo they run into memory issues, every developer is going to suffer.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    I like the old style list, I don't know why..
    thx.i like it
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Dieter...may be problem with catalog updating. I posted 1.03 of tipcalc an hour ago and its showing as updating Sunday
    Last edited by adma84; 08/14/2009 at 04:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    nevermind, I think I was updating incorrectly. My apologies...
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Just a thought. Wouldn't it be nice to add the amount of apps available in the top precentral menu. So we can quickly see if there are new ones added?

Like this:
    accessory store homebrew apps (131) forums
    ditching preload and downloading filecoster
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast