View Poll Results: Would you like to see info from Last.fm, Not play control but info and/or suggestions

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would Love that!

7 15.91%
  • No, Sounds useless

7 15.91%
  • Whats Last.FM

20 45.45%
  • Songs cool but probably wouldnt use it

10 22.73%
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    I should have been more clear - I accidentally hit the connect button without entering an IP address at all, so now there isn't any ip address to click on. I was surprised that when I uninstalled the program and reinstalled, it still had the connect button without the space for IP. Am I just hosed?

Thanks again!
    Jess

Quote Originally Posted by tonyparisi View Post
    Just click the ip address and it becomes editable again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    ok, call me stupid...
    but what advantage is there to controlling your media player from your Pre?

AND......

do you need to plug the pre into the computer with the USB cable if you don't use WiFi?

Sorry for the dumb questions......lol
    I for one have my media PC hooked up to a projector, and often when I'm listening to music I turn it off to save bulb life. But then I loose most control of the music
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jessbecker View Post
    I should have been more clear - I accidentally hit the connect button without entering an IP address at all, so now there isn't any ip address to click on. I was surprised that when I uninstalled the program and reinstalled, it still had the connect button without the space for IP. Am I just hosed?

Thanks again!
    Jess
    I had the same problem. The only way I could get that field back was to do a partial erase.

It will erase all of the installed home brewed apps, and text messages received. You will have to re-sync your contacts (and re group them). It will keep apps installed from palm's app store. (it sets your ringer, back light, and wallpaper back to default also).

But for me it was well worth it because this is one of the most useful apps I have installed. Works like a dream on XP. Vista on the other hand is proving to be more difficult, it keep getting errors messages.

Anyone have any tips to make this run on vista?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    i'm having a difficult time getting it to work. I also set to allow port 63342 and disabled windows firewall. The app is running on the phone and the window is running in Vista x64. Perhaps a go-by or FAQ for setup?
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WesDavis View Post
    iTunes supports a network device to control it without any extra applications. It would be great to have it set up like that. iPhones, iPod touches and G1's can currently use it. For the G1 there is an app called gMote.
    gMote also requires you to download and install a Server program on the computer you wish to control.

Heck, even the iPod/iPhone "Remote" program requires you to configure your computer's copy of iTunes to work (you have to share your iTunes library, connect the device and then enter a 4 digit code).
    i dont know if i am doing something completely wrong but i need some help. i'm running windows vista and when i try opening the media controller server i get this error.

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately
    Cannot access a disposed object.
    Object name: 'System.Net.HttpListener'.

any help would be great thanks.
  7.    #67  
    I will get a bug fix out tonight to fix the blank connection string problem sorry about that
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I wasn't able to get the it to work at first even though I typed the IP address from the desktop app into my Pre but I found that it was user error.

I used these instructions from the Microsoft website. I typed in my own comments that are specific for setting it for Media Remote. This article describes how to manually open ports in Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) in Windows XP:

Programs may require ports to be manually opened so that the programs work correctly when ICF is in use either on the local computer or on the gateway computer. You may have to manually open a port if there is a service that is running on a computer that has ICF enabled that you want to make available to users on the Internet.

Note The actual port settings vary from program to program.

To manually open a port, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click My Network Places.
    2. Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections. (Or, right-click My Network Places on the desktop, and then click Properties.)
    3. Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings.

Note If the Settings button is unavailable, ICF is not enabled on this connection, and you do not have to open any ports (because they are all already open).
    5. Click Add to open a new port.
    6. In the Description box, type a friendly name. For example, type Media Remote.
    7. In the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network box, type 127.0.0.1 for example. (Type in the the IP address that the desktop app gives you -- the one you manually type into the Pre app)
    8. In the External port and Internal port boxes, type the port number. Generally, this number is the same. (For Media Remote type in 63342 in both fields)
    9. Click either TCP or UDP, and then click OK. (I clicked TCP)
    This made it work for me! The app is pretty cool. I'm suprised with the 0 time delay between hitting skip on the Pre and having the computer skip. It's pretty cool. The album art on mine shows up SUPER pixelly... like old GIF or something. (see screenshot below) Although I think most of the album art might actually be GIF?! Also, when your phone goes into sleep/locked mode and you turn it back on and unlock it... it takes a second for it to reconnect with your computer and accept your button presses.

I too don't really know that I'd use this all that much just yet, but maybe for someone that uses their computer as their main stereo source it would be nice because you could be in the other room or on the couch/bed and flip through songs. I'd like to see the Pre app show your library or playlist so you can skip around instead of just hitting next but I don't know if that's possible. Either way this is a great start! I will definitely keep my eye on it!

Hopefully these instructions help you!! You may have a different problem... but I would give this a try. It worked for me!

Palm Pre Wallpapers
    Free backgrounds for your Palm Pre!
    Pick from hundreds of beautiful and artistic pictures to show off your new Pre!

Follow me on Twitter: @joshh347
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    fun little suggestion nobody has mentioned - minimize to tray
    I'd be more than happy to test on xbmc, and I'd like to throw in a +1 for vlc control if possible pm me if you want me to test
    Along with jjfader, I am unable to operate the program because of a .NET framework error. If continued anyways, it will still open the program. Once you click start, it will give the same error. I cannot get it to work despite forwarding all my ports. I am running Win 7 32-bit Ultimate with Kaspersky Security.

Mind fixing this? I wouldn't mind being a beta tester for Win 7.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Abyssul; 08/04/2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjfader View Post
    i dont know if i am doing something completely wrong but i need some help. i'm running windows vista and when i try opening the media controller server i get this error.

Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately
    Cannot access a disposed object.
    Object name: 'System.Net.HttpListener'.

any help would be great thanks.
    Have same issues here with Vista 64bit
    Did anyone get it to work on Vista 64, any version? If so what did you do? Help please. A step by step maybe.
    i was wondering if the new version of the media remote was supposed to fix the problem i and some other users are having. i'm still getting the same error with the v2b. just wanted to let you know. could this possibly be user error? if so could someone tell me what i should do?
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    I would love to see remote control of Pandora. You may think "just use pandora on the phone" but I have a specific reason. I have a pc setup in my living room entertainment center that is piped throughout the house. I usually play pandora from it and having remote control for it would save me from having to leave my comfortable chair in one room to change a channel or skip a song. Or, what might be an even better app would be one that uses remote desktop. I had an app for my old treo that you could remote into a pc and control the entire computer.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Have same issues here with Vista 64bit
    Did anyone get it to work on Vista 64, any version? If so what did you do? Help please. A step by step maybe.
    Lets start talking issues now sorry I wanted to get everything up there before I started diving into issues. Can you tell me what versions of the .net framework you have installed. (goto C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework, What directories are listed there?) Also does the error have any details that you can view, if so what are they?
    will post computer info on your request when I get home tonight
    Sorry to be a buzzkill, but the new version doesn't fix this bug. There is more room above the "connect" button now, but still no space to change the IP. Thanks again for your work on this!
    Jess

Quote Originally Posted by tonyparisi View Post
    I will get a bug fix out tonight to fix the blank connection string problem sorry about that
    I'm adding my vote for SqueezeCenter. Life would be just peachy if i could control this via my phone.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by jessbecker View Post
    Sorry to be a buzzkill, but the new version doesn't fix this bug. There is more room above the "connect" button now, but still no space to change the IP. Thanks again for your work on this!
    Jess
    Does it let you hit connect? It should give a error message if the connection string is blank can you attach a screen shot?
    I can't run the exe file either.
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast