View Poll Results: Would you like to see info from Last.fm, Not play control but info and/or suggestions

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would Love that!

7 15.91%
  • No, Sounds useless

7 15.91%
  • Whats Last.FM

20 45.45%
  • Songs cool but probably wouldnt use it

10 22.73%
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1.    #281  
    Is it able to control media player?

One more note prior to starting the pc app you should have windows media player open.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyparisi View Post
    Is it able to control media player?

One more note prior to starting the pc app you should have windows media player open.
    Not sure if this was directed to me but I just closed everything

then
    1) ran media controller clicked the IP>Start>>minimize
    2)ran media player
    3) ran media remote>entered same IP>connect
    4.)no album info/art just the transport function which cant be clicked only the volume slider works..
  3.    #283  
    Quote Originally Posted by chichi View Post
    Not sure if this was directed to me but I just closed everything

then
    1) ran media controller clicked the IP>Start>>minimize
    2)ran media player
    4.)no album info/art just the transport function which cant be clicked only the volume slider works..
    Steps Should be:

1) ran media player
    2) ran media controller clicked the IP>Start>>minimize
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    i'll try it again and if it doesn't work I will start from the drawing board, I don't want to keep posting for help in this thread..
  5.    #285  
    So My Experiment is Shareware unfortunately failed... Starting soon (version 4 of server) and expect with the next version a $9.99 Donation/purchase will be required to get the server application. The beta on the current versions will expire on 9/1/09 so to insure uninterrupted use of the application make your donations now so you can get the non-beta version of the server.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    If this app could stream to the Pre as well, I'd be in! Oh, to stream to my Pre from my DNS-323, so I could play music on the home stereo!
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Any chance we'll see this running with foobar2000? Foobar is such a fast, simple, and open media player that I'd guess that it would among the easiest to develop for (though as a non-programmer, I am just guessing...).
  8.    #288  
    Quote Originally Posted by hopfrog View Post
    Any chance we'll see this running with foobar2000? Foobar is such a fast, simple, and open media player that I'd guess that it would among the easiest to develop for (though as a non-programmer, I am just guessing...).
    I would like to make the server work with many applications, Currently the server is in C# which would require a C#,VBVBVB $or$ $http$ $protocal$ $api$, $I$ $have$ $not$ $found$ $one$ $not$ $to$ $say$ $it$ $doesnt$ $have$ $one$. $If$ $you$ $see$ $one$ $in$ $either$ $of$ $those$ $languages$ $post$ $the$ $link$ $to$ $the$ $api$ $and$ $we$ $probably$ $can$ $get$ $it$ $implemented$ $within$ $a$ $weeks$ $time$.

We also hope to at one point implement a java version of the server so it can run off of windows for some media players.
    Last edited by tonyparisi; 08/14/2009 at 01:57 PM.
    Seems like alot of people don't know what Last.FM is.....any chance this app could work with Pandora????
    So My Experiment is Shareware unfortunately failed... Starting soon (version 4 of server) and expect with the next version a $9.99 Donation/purchase will be required to get the server application. The beta on the current versions will expire on 9/1/09 so to insure uninterrupted use of the application make your donations now so you can get the non-beta version of the server.
    I hope the next version of the server is more stable and reliable. Because I wouldn't be willing to pay for the current version of the server. I've gotten the app to work; however many times it just doesn't work properly. The length of this thread is a good indicator of how "beta" the server is currently.

I know it's the server having the problem (vs. the Pre app) because a web browser pointing to the port number produces the same results string indicating that no track is playing when it is playing.

Also, it would be nice if you're charging for the server to provide easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions on how to set it up. Potential customers are probably not inclined to parse through this huge thread to figure out how to run the server and app. Unless I'm missing it, I don't see any step-by-step instructions on your Homebrew app page or your web site.

I hope you work out the issues because this type of app would be useful since I sometimes connect my laptop to my TV to view videos. It would be nice to be able to control them remotely.
    I appreciate the app and do intend to donate but am I wrong in thinking $10 is a little high a price? I figured you'd charge for it eventually because it is worth paying for but I expected something between 4.99 and 6.99.
  12.    #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketace150 View Post
    I appreciate the app and do intend to donate but am I wrong in thinking $10 is a little high a price? I figured you'd charge for it eventually because it is worth paying for but I expected something between 4.99 and 6.99.
    Thank you for the input we are throwing around a price currently, 9.99 is the current thought only because we currently have got donations for $3-$15 for the application and conversions early people suggested $10. If you feel that it is too steep please let us know and we will take that into consideration as we launch the new site in the next weeks.
  13.    #293  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I hope the next version of the server is more stable and reliable. Because I wouldn't be willing to pay for the current version of the server. I've gotten the app to work; however many times it just doesn't work properly. The length of this thread is a good indicator of how "beta" the server is currently.

I know it's the server having the problem (vs. the Pre app) because a web browser pointing to the port number produces the same results string indicating that no track is playing when it is playing.

Also, it would be nice if you're charging for the server to provide easy-to-follow, step-by-step instructions on how to set it up. Potential customers are probably not inclined to parse through this huge thread to figure out how to run the server and app. Unless I'm missing it, I don't see any step-by-step instructions on your Homebrew app page or your web site.

I hope you work out the issues because this type of app would be useful since I sometimes connect my laptop to my TV to view videos. It would be nice to be able to control them remotely.
    I appreciate the feedback if you read the thread most is about individual issue on their pcs getting it install which would be supported on a one-on-one basis not in a community forum as this is. The main issue I recall that has resulted in needing a code fix to the server was with the 3.0 version and windows xp. Most version iterations have been to add more media players or features to the server.

If you are having issues with it stating not playing when it is I am guessing that you are running Windows Media Player and not starting WMP before clicking start or restarting WMP after the server is running. That is an issue with WMP's api, and the next version of the server warns people running WMP to insure it is started prior to clicking start.

If it is a different issue please let me know as I am unaware of any issue as I use this most days.
    If you are having issues with it stating not playing when it is I am guessing that you are running Windows Media Player and not starting WMP before clicking start or restarting WMP after the server is running. That is an issue with WMP's api, and the next version of the server warns people running WMP to insure it is started prior to clicking start.

If it is a different issue please let me know as I am unaware of any issue as I use this most days.
    I'm aware of the required execution order. It still sometimes doesn't connect properly even when you start them in the correct order and run both WMP and the server in admin mode. Also, once I do get connected, there is sometimes a noticeable lag when clicking play/pause on the Pre.

If you don't want to offer the server for free, then what I would do is run a closed (invite-only) Beta program for the next version. Recruit people with several different system configurations and test it thoroughly. Once it's proven to be stable, then release it publicly as a paid application. That way your paying customers are not being used as beta testers which they may not appreciate.

A perfect example of this is PlayOn, which is a server application that allows you to stream media files, Netflix instant videos, YouTube, and Hulu to the Xbox 360. While they were in beta, they offered their software for free. During the beta program, they offered a discounted price ($30) to the beta testers. The final price is now $40. They are still updating the software with updates and bug fixes, but the software is much more stable than it was in beta, so it warrants the price.
    I am running Windows Vista with Windows Media Player. I've done the starting sequence. When I connect to the IP with my pre it connects but none of the controls work and it doesn't display any information about what is playing or what is next on the playlist.

I really like this idea of an app. I think $5 is more of a reasonable price if it was more stable and would actually work on my computer.
  16.    #296  
    Quote Originally Posted by jccello1 View Post
    I am running Windows Vista with Windows Media Player. I've done the starting sequence. When I connect to the IP with my pre it connects but none of the controls work and it doesn't display any information about what is playing or what is next on the playlist.

I really like this idea of an app. I think $5 is more of a reasonable price if it was more stable and would actually work on my computer.
    I think this is a setup issue on your pc if you are not able to control anything. First do you have version 0.7.0 of the pre application and the latest version of the server? If you do send me a private message and we can work out the issues you are having.
  17.    #297  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'm aware of the required execution order. It still sometimes doesn't connect properly even when you start them in the correct order and run both WMP and the server in admin mode. Also, once I do get connected, there is sometimes a noticeable lag when clicking play/pause on the Pre.

If you don't want to offer the server for free, then what I would do is run a closed (invite-only) Beta program for the next version. Recruit people with several different system configurations and test it thoroughly. Once it's proven to be stable, then release it publicly as a paid application. That way your paying customers are not being used as beta testers which they may not appreciate.

A perfect example of this is PlayOn, which is a server application that allows you to stream media files, Netflix instant videos, YouTube, and Hulu to the Xbox 360. While they were in beta, they offered their software for free. During the beta program, they offered a discounted price ($30) to the beta testers. The final price is now $40. They are still updating the software with updates and bug fixes, but the software is much more stable than it was in beta, so it warrants the price.
    If you are experiencing lag unfortunately that is due to the network. Are you on a closed router's wifi or are you going through the 3g and port forwarding through your router. I think the same issue that is causing you lag may be the same that is giving you intermittent control issues or not playing statuses. If you are experiencing these issue please send me a private message and we can work them out as you are the first to report these types of issues. Everyone that I have work with once they get the server up and running i just keep getting praise on how well it is working for them.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Steps Should be:

1) ran media player
    2) ran media controller clicked the IP>Start>>minimize
    Ok I did this as instructed, but when I enter the IP address info onto media remote on the pre (which was already populated on the controller) I get the following error: "Unable to Connect Check Connection URL"
  19.    #299  
    Quote Originally Posted by chichi View Post
    Ok I did this as instructed, but when I enter the IP address info onto media remote on the pre (which was already populated on the controller) I get the following error: "Unable to Connect Check Connection URL"
    Okay, I am guessing that you are having a firewall issues. As one person has noted trouble shooting in the forum is confusing to many people and making them think there is an issue with the actual application. Please send me a rivate message and we can go over your issues.
    I just read all 15 pages of posts and still can't get it to work so I'm going to pass on this. It looks cool but unless it controls Windows Media Center and will control my Netflix through that I'm not going to try anymore.