Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Moderator Note:
    This thread is about developing a specialized reader application.
    Any post about anything other than this application's development will be deleted.

Daily Scriptures contains the Old Testament, New Testament (KJV), Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price and LDS Hymns (with links to streaming music).

The final app will be an inexpensive paid app on the official app catalog. This preview does NOT contain advanced features like search, tagging, bookmarking, footnotes, etc. It does give you easy access to the full text via your Pre.

We have taken a hybrid approach on this app - UI is local but data comes from an online feed. The option to store the data locally will come in the future.

This preview app is free but NOT open source - Please do not distribute.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/21/2009 at 01:55 PM.
    This is great! I've been hoping someone would make an app for LDS scriptures.
    Thanks. Website is ok, but nice to have locally on the Pre. Won't be tempted to go to espn.com anymore.
    Awesome. It works great so far. Very fast. We will see how it works at church where I get very little signal.
    I've always wanted to read the Book of Mormon, but the physical version always came attached with people.

FYI, paragraph symbols are showing up every few verses.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    ... Won't be tempted to go to espn.com anymore.
    Ya, right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    Ya, right.
    .... at least not in Sunday school. My wife has caught me too many times looking at Golf scores. Plus, football season approaches... now if someone could make a Scriptures App that incorporates updates from ESPN, that would be something.
    Any way this could be adapted to an ebook reader?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    .... at least not in Sunday school. My wife has caught me too many times looking at Golf scores. Plus, football season approaches... now if someone could make a Scriptures App that incorporates updates from ESPN, that would be something.
    We'll save the ESPN updates for the PREMIUM app - I never planned to make any money off of this but now... I think I can smell the $$$
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Narfler View Post
    Any way this could be adapted to an ebook reader?
    It is possible but I don't know how practical. It is just a matter of time before the big publishers/providers have their own eBook apps for the Pre along with their millions of titles - hard to compete with them. My purpose with this app is more personal - I wanted it for my own use and I'm using it as a project to learn webOS. When a paid version is released it will include study tools tailored specifically to the content - not possible with traditional eBooks.

Back to your question though - yes, it is possible. This is currently a client/server app. When you select a Book/Chapter to view it requests that chapter from a web server and the data is returned in a JSON feed and then displayed by the app. As long as the data on the server can be easily converted to the required JSON format then any content can be pushed.
    Great job! Thanks for releasing the early version to the community.

It seems to work well, I'm looking forward to the additional features.
    Great work!
    This type of app has tons of potential. For what's it worth the best LDS Scripture app for the iphone/itouch is "Scriptures" (in my opinion). If your not familiar with it you may want to check it out to get some good development ideas.

Best LDS Scriptures App for iPhone and iPod Touch | LDS Scriptures App | ReadScriptures.com

Here is another link with a good review of several different scripture apps.

Best LDS Mormon Scriptures iPhone Apps Review
  14.    #14  
    I've looked at a few of the LDS scripture apps on the iPhone and there are some good ones. The LDS Church is going to release their own soon as well. The problem with most 3rd party apps in my opinion relates to copyright issues. I would be surprised if any of those apps had permission to use all the content they are offering. The Topical Guide, Bible Dictionary, Footnotes, manuals, magazines, etc. are intellectual property of the Church - viewable freely on the Church website: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (which is easy to scrape for the content whether you have permission or not). The Church doesn't make money from selling printed materials - rather they cover their printing and distribution costs - so there is no real monetary reason to not have proprietary distributed by 3rd parties. However, I can see a very real need to control the actual content that is distributed. Nothing is better than the OFFICIAL source, guaranteeing that what you are reading is what you were meant to read.

I would rather see the Church develop an API that other applications can use so that native applications can contain the core content - scriptural texts - but still have access to reliable reference material provided by the Church.

My goal is to keep this app simple and provide internal tools to facilitate study without relying on unlicensed intellectual property of the Church.
    Thanks!

Does it link to the mp3 files for each chapter too?
    Good to know that i'm not the only LDS owner of the pre. I tried to put an app like this together but I have had no time and i'm not the best with html.
    Yessssss! This is what I have been waiting for! So far very good! Very fast searching! I'm excited to see what the updates will bring. I bought the Palm classic emulator, and iSilo reader for scriptures, but it's way too small, and it crashes ALL the time.

This is just fantastic!!!!
    Reuben, you rock!
    This is great!! Nice job!!
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben.olsen View Post
    Daily Scriptures contains the Old Testament, New Testament (KJV), Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price and eventually will contain other reference material including LDS study guides, Hymns and music.

The final app will be an inexpensive paid app on the official app catalog. This preview does NOT contain advanced features like search, tagging, bookmarking, footnotes, etc. It does give you easy access to the full text via your Pre.

We have taken a hybrid approach on this app - UI is local but data comes from an online feed. The option to store the data locally will come in the future.

This preview app is free but NOT open source - Please do not distribute.
    Great job!! Any chance of getting the NASB or NIV version?
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    /rant
    for the record.. <edited>....
    careful what you say in a thread that obviously will have a lot of LDS members reading it. Indeed there's many business-like characteristics, but nobody is making money, it all get's put back into the church.

In fact even all the leadership are expected to be financially independent in order to devote there time to the church without compensation or even help with their living expenses. Very unique church in that aspect.

Let me get this for you..-----> /rantoff
    Last edited by palandri; 08/04/2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typo
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast