Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reuben.olsen View Post
    Additional resources will be available eventually with the full version. Copyright issues will have to be addressed first - we don't want to be crossing any lines.
    I know the church has authorized several readers that pull / scrape the data from the web. I would think that it shouldn't be a problem. Have you seen the LDSTech site? They would be a good group to start with I would think.

And I wanted to say thank you again. I guess I need to put(leave) my development on the back burner... (where it was the last couple weeks)

One of the ideas I had for navigation on the chapters was instead of the grid, a scrollable init picker. (Like the time on the clock app)

I like the idea posted about linking to the mp3 for each chapter like you do with the hymns.

Scrollable init picker might be more efficient for the hymns too. And Maybe an option to search the hymns by name too. (actual Search)

I will gladly pay for the app when you are ready for that. I was always a Mark My Scriptures guy on Palm OS Before. I had MMS and the MMSWeb.

So Local content is #1, followed by the ability to download additional content from lds.org directly from within the app would be my #2 request.

If there is ANYTHING I can do to help, let me know. Even if it includes being a guinea pig.
    I work for the LDS Church and manage the developers that are driving the LDSTech Community effort. We definitely don't want you screen scraping to get the data, first, because its unreliable, and second, because its against policy. We actually have been talking about getting the community started on creating an iPhone-like scriptures application as well as a Mormon Channel application for the Palm Pre. We'd LOVE to get you guys involved on the projects, and can provide authorized access to the data. Go to https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/..._Participation and we'll get things rolling!.
  3.    #43  
    @stephanh - Thanks for the info - I've submitted my Contributor request on the tech site. I had just sent off a request to the intellectual property department requesting clarification on licensing, etc. before reading your post. Hopefully all of this will help get the ball rolling quicker and in the "proper" way. I know at least one forum reader asked about the Mormon Channel - I'd love to be involved in getting that up and running on webOS.
    Hopefully all of this will help get the ball rolling quicker and in the "proper" way. I know at least one forum reader asked about the Mormon Channel - I'd love to be involved in getting that up and running on webOS.
    I'm glad to read that your interested in working on a scriptures and mormon radio app as part of the ldstech community. In my opinion, that's certainly the way to go ... and will provide the most benefit to the LDS community. I'll sign up on ldstech and help out as well.
    have you guys looked at this?:

YanCEyWare Reader

its the best scripture/ebook reader for Windows mobile. it would be great if you could support their book format, which is HTML or xml based. There are a ton of scriptures/ lds works and other books for it. Its so good, that there are now programs for the iphone and Android which will read the books.

YanCEyWare Reader E-books

If you contact Bryce Yancey in his support forums, it might be possible to get his source code. It might be helpful, but it might not.
    @stephanh - Thanks for the info - I've submitted my Contributor request on the tech site. I had just sent off a request to the intellectual property department requesting clarification on licensing, etc. before reading your post. Hopefully all of this will help get the ball rolling quicker and in the "proper" way. I know at least one forum reader asked about the Mormon Channel - I'd love to be involved in getting that up and running on webOS.
    That forum reader was me and I'd love to help however I can. I have absolutely no idea how to code anything, but I'm a very willing test subject and can help however needed. I would love to see all the curriculum and especially the Mormon channel on the Pre.
    Just wanted to add my thanks to this effort. It as been really interesting to watch the development. Unlike others I can't lead my technical expertise (because I have none, but I can help you build a rocket engine) but i will be buying this app when it is developed in the mean time I will continue to use it and let you know of any issues/improvements!

Just my $.02 on a list of wants (in order):

1. Local access (like you and SirWill I get little to no signal in the building)
    2. Footnote links and links between books
    3. Additional content
    4. Ablibity to add content (similar to Yanceyware)
    I added this note in the opening post:

Moderator Note:
    This thread is about developing a specialized reader application.
    Any post about anything other than this application development will be deleted.

A number of inappropriate posts have been deleted. If you see any others, please just click the triangle I button under their name. In some cases infractions will also be given.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    When will the other curriculum-manuals, bible dictionary, etc be available?
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    I have it on my Pre but I noticed at least one thing that doesn't work. Although I can select a book in one of the scriptures I can't select a particular chapter. For example, I can select Jacob in the Book of Mormon but I can't jump to chapter 5. When I select chapter 5 it just ignores my request and keeps me in chapter 1.
    Can I be a pain in the backside and ask when we will be able to have the books on our Pre? I'm just wondering. So far I love it when I can get it. The church has a rather large dead zone. Can I say that? haha.
  12.    #52  
    I'm hoping that the next version of the SDK will give us better access to local storage on the Pre. If so, it won't be long before we have a local version. Otherwise, there is an alternative way but it isn't very appealing so we are waiting on Palm for now.
  13.    #53  
    Development of Daily Scriptures has ended. However, look for the official LDS Scriptures webOS app - development will commence soon. In the meantime, checkout the Mormon Channel app in the homebrew.
    Thanks for the App. Works very well and like the addition to Hymms. Keep up the good work.
    A BAD DAY SKIING AND ROCK CLIMBING IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK
    reuben,
    I had to restore my Pre with webosdoctor and have lost Daily Scriptures. Is there a way to get the preview still? I plan to purchase the official version, but I don't want to revert to using lds.org for scriptures in the meantime if I can avoid it.
    Thanks for all your efforts!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    The WebOS 1.2 upgrade reset my phone as well so I lost all homebrew apps, including daily scriptures. Any way to get a copy to reload - the app was especially handy when my deacons are using my scriptures because they did not bring their own.
  17.    #57  
    For those who lost their copy of Daily Scriptures in the webOS 1.2 upgrade - sorry, it is no longer available.

Don't despair though, we should be posting a beta version of the Official LDS Scriptures in the next few weeks. An LDSTech team has been organized and work has begun - just hold on a bit longer.

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/...tures_Palm_Pre
    Doesn't this feel like Christmas sometimes? Just can't wait any longer!!!!

Thanks Reuben.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    For those who lost their copy of Daily Scriptures in the webOS 1.2 upgrade - sorry, it is no longer available.

Don't despair though, we should be posting a beta version of the Official LDS Scriptures in the next few weeks. An LDSTech team has been organized and work has begun - just hold on a bit longer.

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/...tures_Palm_Pre
    ETA!!! I am dying here. This was my life blood until I had to do a reset and now I am without them. Any word on a release date?
    Palm V to the Palm 505 to the Palm 515 to the Zire 71 to Treo 600 to the Treo 650 to the Treo 700 to the Treo 755 to the Treo 700w (30 days hated it) to the Treo 755p to the Blackberry World Edition (Hated it) to the PALM PRE!
    This is very disappointing. I had to reset my Pre and didn't realize that this App was no longer available.
    This is like the third app that I have tried, enjoyed and then has disappeared. I long for the day when Android gets its act together or the iPhone comes to a real network. It will be nice to have a platform with developers who not only produce nice apps, but keep them available.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast