Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    the icon in the notification area is the reason I originally did not use it. I hate loosing that screen space. Just my opinion. But having a choice might be neat.
    I completely agree. I love the icons in the notifications area when they do what they're supposed to do - namely, remind me of something that I've missed. I absolutely hate them when I can't dismiss them. Since I run BU all day, having an icon there all day, every day would drive me nuts. As much as I love BU (thanks, Zinge!), I would stop using it if there was a constant icon.

As for Jason's patch for brightness in the device menu, let me just add my endorsement. It works quite well with BU. BU continues to control the keyboard brightness, even as you change the screen brightness using the slider in the device menu. If you want to change the keyboard brightness, you do have to open BU, but in BU I have the keyboard set to 25, and I've never felt the need to adjust this. I do frequently adjust the screen, but as I've said, I do that from the device menu. I have the Persistent Brightness Unlinked patch and now I never actually have to run BU - it's just always there running in the background. Works like a charm!
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Doesn't seem to have much of an effect that I can notice or that has been mentioned to me. I run it all day, every day. My Pre battery life does suck, but not any more so than before :-).
    Thanks Zinge. Good to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I completely agree. I love the icons in the notifications area when they do what they're supposed to do - namely, remind me of something that I've missed. I absolutely hate them when I can't dismiss them. Since I run BU all day, having an icon there all day, every day would drive me nuts. As much as I love BU (thanks, Zinge!), I would stop using it if there was a constant icon.

As for Jason's patch for brightness in the device menu, let me just add my endorsement. It works quite well with BU. BU continues to control the keyboard brightness, even as you change the screen brightness using the slider in the device menu. If you want to change the keyboard brightness, you do have to open BU, but in BU I have the keyboard set to 25, and I've never felt the need to adjust this. I do frequently adjust the screen, but as I've said, I do that from the device menu. I have the Persistent Brightness Unlinked patch and now I never actually have to run BU - it's just always there running in the background. Works like a charm!
    Whats the persistent Brightness Unlinked patch? Where is it?
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Yeah, I can look into trying to do something with toggles. Maybe you should look into Jason R's patch that puts the toggles in the phone menu bar? (where the wifi and stuff are) instead though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post

Have both Jason's device menu's patch and the Persistent BU patch and both of them are great. But, most of the time I do have some sort of notification sitting there anyway, so I don't mind. Also liked how the notification allowed quick access to the app itself.

But having a choice might be neat.
    A choice would be nice
    Whats the persistent Brightness Unlinked patch? Where is it?
    The patch can be found here. Still trying to get it in the preware feed. Currently my patch can only be installed with Webos Quick Install.
    Last edited by xenoph0be; 02/01/2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: updated link for WOQI
  6.    #726  
    Just an FYI as to what I'm doing at the moment:

Working on a scheduled reboot app; let's you set a time and every day at that time it will reboot your phone. I bunch of people asked for it after I made the reset toggle, and this way I'm teaching myself how to use alarms and the timepicker widget so that I can add scheduling to BU.

Also, unrelated: for a class I'm taking, I'm starting work on a skymap/astronomy app (my first app that can go in the app catalog, woo!) since there isn't one for WebOS yet. Features will include: Pan/Zoom skymap, hopefully will function similar to google maps (search by celestial object, use gps for current location), a "virtual telescope" (uses accelerometer to show you a zoomed in version of the sky around you on the starchart when you move the device so you can look for things in the sky while indoors or in cloudy weather or during the day), and satellite tracking (lets you view a list of satellites near your current location). If anybody is interested in alpha/beta testing that for us once it gets to a testable stage (probably about a month), please PM me with an email address so I can add you to the list. Thanks.
    Zinge its people like you that make me love this phone even more every day. Thank you for your work.
    Zinge, I noticed that you have also tried different things to get the app running in background. I noticed that my app (Mode Switcher) is actually running now in background even if I close all open cards of the application. And I am pretty sure that the reason is the following. I call relaunch of my app in those scene:s cleanup function that have a card view. And the effect is that the app is constantly running in background able to respond to subscribe notifications. Have you tried this way and if yes did it work for you? I would like to know if this is a reliable way to keep app running in background or is it just luck
  9.    #729  
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    Zinge, I noticed that you have also tried different things to get the app running in background. I noticed that my app (Mode Switcher) is actually running now in background even if I close all open cards of the application. And I am pretty sure that the reason is the following. I call relaunch of my app in those scene:s cleanup function that have a card view. And the effect is that the app is constantly running in background able to respond to subscribe notifications. Have you tried this way and if yes did it work for you? I would like to know if this is a reliable way to keep app running in background or is it just luck
    I haven't looked at your code, but the way I got it working in my app is a combination of calling the appassistant and a banner notification at the same time, in a certain order. Its reliable to a point; works consistantly for now, but as soon as the next WebOS update comes out (1.4 is due soon I think), its very likely I'll have to come up with a new way to do it, as I'm basically taking advantage of a bug.
    I haven't looked at your code, but the way I got it working in my app is a combination of calling the appassistant and a banner notification at the same time, in a certain order. Its reliable to a point; works consistantly for now, but as soon as the next WebOS update comes out (1.4 is due soon I think), its very likely I'll have to come up with a new way to do it, as I'm basically taking advantage of a bug.
    so 1.4 is due really soon huh
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

11.    #731  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    so 1.4 is due really soon huh
    I'm assuming... it was announced (I think at CES?) that it was hitting sometime in February. But seeing as how I'm not an official Palm Dev and I don't get new SDK releases early, I really have no clue.
    I actually think that my way might actually take advantage of the same bug, but only in different way. Since the banner notify tap also calls relaunch for the app so I think that if you call relaunch in correct spot it'll leave the app running on background.
    So maybe I wait for 1.4 and see if it works anymore there before starting modify my app.
    well the turn off screen doesnt work anymore unless i was too tired of noticing last night
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Does anyone else notice that Brightness Unlinked doesn't work in the background anymore in 1.4?
    Quote Originally Posted by DretheAce View Post
    Does anyone else notice that Brightness Unlinked doesn't work in the background anymore in 1.4?
    yeah zinge should be able to fix it soon when he has time
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Go into the program Brightness Unlinked, and make sure Turn off instead of locking screen is set to ON.
    Before the update to 1.4 it was on, and after the update it was off, so it did not turn off on the touchstone until returning it ON.
    Works fine.
  17.    #737  
    Turn off screen on touchstone and running in the background still both work fine for me after upgrading to 1.4. There should be no issues with the current version. Let me know if there are.
    Turn off screen on touchstone and running in the background still both work fine for me after upgrading to 1.4. There should be no issues with the current version. Let me know if there are.
    Unfortunately, I am having a problem with it running in the background. Plain and simply, it doesn't work anymore for me. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Brightness Unlinked, still nothing.
  19.    #739  
    Unfortunately, I am having a problem with it running in the background. Plain and simply, it doesn't work anymore for me. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Brightness Unlinked, still nothing.
    Open the app, close the app. Does the banner notification "Tap here..." show up? If yes, click on it. When you click on it, does the "Brightness Unlinked is running..." banner notification show up?
    Yeah, I clicked on the "Tap here..." banner, then I saw the "Brightness Unlinked is running..." banner. I just tested it out, and I would say it runs for about 5-10 seconds then stops running in the background and just defaults to what I set the screen brightness to be.