Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
  1.    #481  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    OK. When I put the pre on the TS, it says 'unblockeddisplay'. wait 30 seconds and the display shuts off. Now it woke up by itself a few times. At least 2 times it said unblockeddisplay' when it was awake. Only it never goes back to sleep on its own, i always have to hit the power button. One time i swear it said 'displayON' but i was trying to wipe the sleep from my eyes now my memory is fuzzy.

BTW, the charge icon never goes away. So even if it is waking up because the TS stopped charging, the phone still shows that it is charging. So it should be like taking off and putting it back on the ts. And BU should force sleep after 30 seconds, but it doesn't. it seems to work properly if i pull on and off the ts but when all this happens it doesn't go back to sleep unless i hit the power button.

Hope that helps. i can continue to try it and note if it does anything differently.

Thanks zinge
    I don't know why it turns on, but there are plenty of small things that could cause it. The problem is that there is no reason that it won't turn back off... The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Pre has *really* gone to sleep by that point, and waking it up starts my program running again/starts the screen&lock sleep timer. I don't really know any ideas on how to fix that. The only thing I can think of is maybe setting a wakeup timer on my app that starts when the screen turns off and wakes the device (without turning on the screen) every 10 minutes or so and lets it sleep again. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'll look into it. I think if I can ever figure out how to turn the screen off correctly, it might help with this problem as well, but I'm not sure.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    one more detail.

Last night I set it on the touchstone, screen turned off properly. I was up for a few more hours, probably just long enough to reach 100% charge. Then i noticed the screen on. It said 'unblockedDisplay'. And another weird thing was the wave launcher was halfway up the screen - dunno what that was about.

This time instead of hitting the power button, I just touched the screen. In the upper right to see the batt%. Then I didn't hit the power button because i wanted to see what it would do. It shut off after 30 seconds on its own!. So i don't know what that means. Maybe all i ever have to do is touch the screen and BU will take over again and shut it off after 30 sec. It never turned back on that night. But i know other nights when i turn it off with the power button, it wakes up again. Could be coincidence.

Do you think reaching 100% charge is turning on the screen? Maybe the screen is just longing for my touch in the middle of the night...
  3.    #483  
    one more detail.

Last night I set it on the touchstone, screen turned off properly. I was up for a few more hours, probably just long enough to reach 100% charge. Then i noticed the screen on. It said 'unblockedDisplay'. And another weird thing was the wave launcher was halfway up the screen - dunno what that was about.

This time instead of hitting the power button, I just touched the screen. In the upper right to see the batt%. Then I didn't hit the power button because i wanted to see what it would do. It shut off after 30 seconds on its own!. So i don't know what that means. Maybe all i ever have to do is touch the screen and BU will take over again and shut it off after 30 sec. It never turned back on that night. But i know other nights when i turn it off with the power button, it wakes up again. Could be coincidence.

Do you think reaching 100% charge is turning on the screen? Maybe the screen is just longing for my touch in the middle of the night...
    Not really sure... the wave launcher thing is part of the same issue with the touchscreen not always responding when you wake it up; its all related to turning off the screen and having the phone not realize it is off.
    Is it possible to have this app run completely headless? IE: No card/notification open?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The_lane View Post
    Is it possible to have this app run completely headless? IE: No card/notification open?
    No. See my (and other) answer(s) within this thread.

Regards,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    good app to have
    what happened to the touchstone toggle button? just downloaded this app and i don't see it.
    ^you have to put the Pre on the touchstone to see the toggle. Enjoy.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Hi everybody. Love my Pre and love BU, but it sounds as though other people are having similar problems regarding the phone waking up repeatedly and staying awake while on the TS at night. Ideally, I'd love to have the Pre on my TS with the screen off throughout the night.

Here are my questions: A) Have there been any updates on this issue? And B) I haven't tried it yet, but does it make a difference whether BU is running in the foreground or the background? I usually run it in the foreground at night and leave it turned off for the rest of the day.

I guess that leads to a C) question: What kind of energy drain is there when this app runs in the background? We all know that Pre battery isn't the best, so I've been mostly keeping apps turned off. But if BU isn't a bad energy drain then I'd like to keep it on throughout the day.

Thanks so much for your help!
    I love this app!

Is there anyway to program in a feature that automaticlaly adjusts brightness by time of day.. mainly I like the bright keyboard at night, but it is a waste of battery during the day...
    OK. When I put the pre on the TS, it says 'unblockeddisplay'. wait 30 seconds and the display shuts off. Now it woke up by itself a few times. At least 2 times it said unblockeddisplay' when it was awake. Only it never goes back to sleep on its own, i always have to hit the power button. One time i swear it said 'displayON' but i was trying to wipe the sleep from my eyes now my memory is fuzzy.

BTW, the charge icon never goes away. So even if it is waking up because the TS stopped charging, the phone still shows that it is charging. So it should be like taking off and putting it back on the ts. And BU should force sleep after 30 seconds, but it doesn't. it seems to work properly if i pull on and off the ts but when all this happens it doesn't go back to sleep unless i hit the power button.

Hope that helps. i can continue to try it and note if it does anything differently.

Thanks zinge
    I've had this problem as well--The charge icon staying put and not disappearing after removal from the Touchstone. I've also had the problem of the charge icon DISAPPEARING altogether! Then it wouldn't reset by pressing the power button. I had to take the battery out to reset it. Weird. Anyone else have this particular problem?

Additionally, I've experienced the Pre charging up fine initially on the Touchstone at night with Brightness Unlinked in the background. Then I find in the morning that the Pre has drained back down to 40 or 50%. It's as if it stops charging and uses up charge for several hours.
    I think it might be a Touchstone problem I'm having after having read some other threads on Touchstone issues.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Same issues here. Wakes ups, hit button, back to sleep, wakes up again, repeat. Charging sound ringing all night on and off sometimes. Launch bar half way up the screen, confused system, sometimes needing a reboot. I wanted it to be dark and silent all night, but it is like a party going on instead. I think some nights I get little sleep and it shows at work. One night I got so mad, I just flipped the phone off the night stand.

Really needs some serious troubleshooting. And about the headless service running, other apps do it, one I was looking at tonight is Where's My Pre. There are others as well.
  14.    #494  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloflin View Post
    Same issues here. Wakes ups, hit button, back to sleep, wakes up again, repeat. Charging sound ringing all night on and off sometimes. Launch bar half way up the screen, confused system, sometimes needing a reboot. I wanted it to be dark and silent all night, but it is like a party going on instead. I think some nights I get little sleep and it shows at work. One night I got so mad, I just flipped the phone off the night stand.

Really needs some serious troubleshooting. And about the headless service running, other apps do it, one I was looking at tonight is Where's My Pre. There are others as well.
    The only one of these things that is my apps fault is the launch bar halfway up the screen, which I know is an issue. If your phone keep playing the charging sound, you are having a problem with the touchstone, not my app. They would also be why it keeps waking up, and my app will turn the screen back on when the phone is pulled off the touchstone. Do you have a case on your Pre? Are you using a non-palm-standard power cable? Do you have the touchstone plugged into a usb port instead of a wall charger?

About running headless: read back in the thread. It has already been explained how those apps are not really running headless and why the method they are using can't be used for my app.
    zinge,

with the ability to install patches w/o rooting now, is there anyway to make a patch to allow your program to properly keep its settings w/o it having to run in the background all the time? i love the program, but don't use it very often because i hate running it in the dashboard.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1100 View Post
    zinge,

with the ability to install patches w/o rooting now, is there anyway to make a patch to allow your program to properly keep its settings w/o it having to run in the background all the time? i love the program, but don't use it very often because i hate running it in the dashboard.
    A patch would not help. The program needs to poll a system setting, quite frequently. It would require a background service, and that would exclude it from the App Catalog for sure.

Regards,
    -JerryG
    is there a way to add a keyboard brightness to the default system settings with a patch?

I love the program, I just hate the dashboard and I don't like to leave any programs running
  18.    #498  
    is there a way to add a keyboard brightness to the default system settings with a patch?

I love the program, I just hate the dashboard and I don't like to leave any programs running
    Is there a way? Possibly. But I don't know what it is. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $stuff$ $that$ $would$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $patched$ $is$ $in$ $the$ $compiled$ $binaries$.
    that would be way too complicated and quite major. i will just continue to open the program up when i need a brighter keyboard i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    A patch would not help. The program needs to poll a system setting, quite frequently. It would require a background service, and that would exclude it from the App Catalog for sure.

Regards,
    -JerryG
    In a nut shell yes but using a service is a symptom of the reason for exclusion. Services are using undocumented features of the device. In otherwords palm doesn't want the support nightmare if someone were to submit an app that may cause issues with other software. And playing with undocumented stuff can quite possibly do that so devs have no choice but to not mess with the undocumented stuff if they want palm to include it in the app catalog sevice. However with the openness coming from fully officially supporting distribution of apps outside of the app catalog devs do have the option of including the undocumented stuff in their apps and distributing them free or for a price, where as before it had to be perceived as beta testing to legitimately distribute outside of the app catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Is there a way? Possibly. But I don't know what it is. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $stuff$ $that$ $would$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $patched$ $is$ $in$ $the$ $compiled$ $binaries$.
    that would be way too complicated and quite major. i will just continue to open the program up when i need a brighter keyboard i guess.
    We simply don't know enough about the inner workings of the OS, you could say the undocumented stuff, to know if it is possible short of recoding something that was compiled to binary. To be honest I would just open brightness unlinked when you want the brighter KB if you don't want it in the dashboard. Even if the code to do what this app does was in the screen and lock app you will still need to open the screen and lock app. The only way to get it to work exactly like the built in brightness setting would be to know if there is a function that sets them independently like the one that sets them from the single slider. Then perhaps it is feasible to do. However short of asking palm to reveal that undocumented stuff it is not possible. And this is assuming there is a function for them to be set independently outside of the method used by brightness unlinked.