Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneRyno View Post
    Preware can install services so no "rooting" is required. As soon as patches are turned into a feed there will be nothing that requires one to mess with the command line or any of that stuff and it is all as easy as installing apps. Jason with webos quick install and those working on preware are making large strides and really have made things uber user friendly.
    User friendly for sure, but not App Catalog friendly...

L8r,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I agree with StoneRyno. Ultimately, running as a service is the way to go. But for now as zinge works out the bugs it may be best to remain an app.

Just for the record, I am also having my Pre wake up while on the Touchstone during the night. Running 0.2.3 BU. It will be at the home screen bright as can be. I can put it back to sleep, but it will sometimes come back to life. Usually I notice there are notifications that have come in, but not sure if they or specifically which type trigger the awakening.

Awesome work so far on this app. Kudos to zinge!!!! Don't forget to donate.
    Last edited by mbloflin; 09/30/2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd like to see this as a service also.

What'd I'd also like to see, is a Dashboard Manager app, that can swallow other programs running in the dashboard. With TXT Manager, Brightness Unlinked, Music Player Remixed, etcetera... when the notifications are "up", they can take up most of the screen. It would show an icon/button for each program, and you press the one you'd like to see the "full" notification for. You select what goes in the manager app.

Cheers,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    User friendly for sure, but not App Catalog friendly...

L8r,
    -JerryG
    Note: for context this was in reply to my reply about running as a service. Now for my reply: Not necessarily. There are a number of apps that already run some sort of service or something that allows them to run without a card running or as a notification.

Quote Originally Posted by mbloflin View Post
    I agree with StoneRyno. Ultimately, running as a service is the way to go. But for now as zinge works out the bugs it may be best to remain an app.
    Yes the way it is now is perfectly fine. I'm only offering my input based on others input. I personally haven't needed the app. I used to run my brightness all the way down but decided I like it better at about 30% or so and at that level the KB is lit to my liking. However because I know this app is something a lot of others find useful I follow the thread and offer my input and see how it progresses. I'm working on a degree for computer programming and want to develop on webOS and other mobile platforms. For now I'm focusing on webOS since I have a personal interest in the platform. I have more programming knowledge than I have learned in college but to work in the field professionally you have to have the official documentation to back up your knowledge. But anyways thats a little bonus info there.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    ...I'm working on a degree for computer programming and want to develop on webOS and other mobile platforms. For now I'm focusing on webOS since I have a personal interest in the platform. I have more programming knowledge than I have learned in college but to work in the field professionally you have to have the official documentation to back up your knowledge...
    There is a lot to learn about programming for WebOS and lots of currently undocumented stuff. Jump in though. Pick an interest or a need and see how it goes for you. Worst case, you will learn an awful lot. Rod suggests reading the IRC logs to gain deep insight. And of course the WebOS Internals main page is a great jumping off point. Good luck and I will be looking for some apps from you, StoneRyno. Brad L.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Let me know if this happens again for you. If its happening consistently, would you mind running a debug version that I can give you that might help me fix the problem? The only difference would be that the title bar would tell you display events, instead of just saying "Brightness Unlinked". That way, if it happens again and wake up to find the screen on, you can tell me what the displayevent that caused it is called.
    For a few days it slept properly all night. But it did happen again last night. It wakes up on its own and does not go back to sleep unless i hit the power button. When i do hit the power button, the screen goes off properly. I looked at a couple things.

1. The battery icon on the upper left still had the charging symbol. I was wondering about if the touchstone stopped charging it would be like pulling it off. But it still said charging.

2. Then I tried waking up the pre myself by hittting the power button. Sure enough, after 30 seconds, the pre went back to sleep.

So why it is waking up, i don't know. And why it won't go back to sleep on its own, i don't know.

But I'll be more than happy to help out by running a debug version.
    This app works perfect for me. I just got my TS yesterday. BU turn off the screen after the time out.

My request is there is way to turn on the screen if I touch the screen, not need to hit the power button or take away from TS.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    a couple observations to report.

1. If you apply the blink led notifications patch (use preware), it works properly when sleeping on the touchstone. So that is awesome for those who use that feature of BU. LED will blink when you missed a call, txt.

2. When the screen is not responding correctly from powering up after touchstone sleep - try swiping up as if the lock was still on the screen. I did this a few times now and it seems to allow the touchscreen to respond again. That bug does not catch me everytime. But when it does, pretending to unlock the screen seems to work. Maybe its coincidence or I'm crazy. See if it works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post

1. If you apply the blink led notifications patch (use preware), it works properly when sleeping on the touchstone. So that is awesome for those who use that feature of BU. LED will blink when you missed a call, txt.

2. When the screen is not responding correctly from powering up after touchstone sleep - try swiping up as if the lock was still on the screen. I did this a few times now and it seems to allow the touchscreen to respond again. That bug does not catch me everytime. But when it does, pretending to unlock the screen seems to work. Maybe its coincidence or I'm crazy. See if it works for you.
    +1
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

This is good to know, thanks.

I don't see the Blinking LED patch in Preware. What version are you using?

Thanks,
    -JerryG

EDIT: Just found it, thanks. Taking a break for a little nutrition does wonders...
    Last edited by JerryG; 10/02/2009 at 10:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    This is good to know, thanks.

I don't see the Blinking LED patch in Preware. What version are you using?

Thanks,
    -JerryG
    first you have to install the 'auto patch feed' from the application list. Then you should see like 60 some patches available. Most are 1.2 compatible and supposedly if they are not they won't download anyway
    first you have to install the 'auto patch feed' from the application list. Then you should see like 60 some patches available. Most are 1.2 compatible and supposedly if they are not they won't download anyway
    Was this added just recently like since webos 1.2 update? If not I really need to pay more attention to the app I check it every day for new items.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Was this added just recently like since webos 1.2 update? If not I really need to pay more attention to the app I check it every day for new items.
    yeah actually I think they just opened up the patch feed yesterday. So you're not that far behind.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    This has been a great addition to my phone. I have also had a couple of nights where the Pre turned on. The first night I pushed the power button and it went to sleep for a moment and then it turned back on. The second night it went back to sleep completely.
  15.    #455  

Re #2: Interesting. If that really works everytime... I think I might know how to fix it... maybe. I'll look into it.
  16.    #456  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hapa88 View Post
    I'd like to know if there's anyway that you can utilize the internal light sensor to dynamically adjust the brightness to the environment. From what I can tell, the Pre automatically does this but I'd like to be able to adjust it more.

For example: my gf has an iPhone and when we're going to bed, setting our alarms in complete darkness, her screen is much dimmer than mine is even at the Pre's lowest brightness setting (better for your eyes and distrubing those around you.) As soon as the lights come on, the iPhone's backlight automatically adjusts brighter to compensate (I think the Pre does it too, just not as well).

Anyway for you guys to tap into this sensor and create a way to adjust the sensativity?

BTW: great app! I think I may have found a bug though. When I place a call and put the headset up to my head (which turns off the light), when I end the call and the light comes back on, I notice my brightness settings going back to the default Pre setting. I think when I close the "phone" card, it goes back to your apps settings. . .
    Light sensor: The Pre does this already, but not amazingly, as you say. I'm working on trying to find a way to read it, but there are currently no apps that use the light sensor and no api documentation on it yet, so it may take a while to figure out. I noticed the phone thing once and thought it was just my Pre acting up. Thanks, I'll look into it. It may be that when the phone goes into a call, it locks out other apps access to the display service so that it can turn on and off when you hold it to your ear. I'll see what I can do.
  17.    #457  
    Just want to say "thanks" to the people who answered questions for me this week. I've been off the internet catching up on some work for the past couple days.

Quick answer to questions I saw reading back through stuff I missed:

Make the background service notification go away- still can't be done. I read through the new documentation that was released and it didn't have anything that would help.

Touchstone issues-
    When I have a couple hours this weekend I'll try and upload the debug version here so you can install and tell me what is causing it to light back up in the middle of the night. To install it (once its uploaded), just unzip the file and use Jason's Quick Install (drag and drop).

Touchsensor bug- If doing an "unlock swipe" works every time, I may be able to fix this. I think. I'm gonna look into it.

Ambient light sensor- May take a while. No documentation and no other app that is using it. Also, turning the display setting down to "1" is the lowest I can possibly make the screen dim. Even with the light sensor, it won't go any darker.

Writing a custom service to let the program run in the background without using the notification bar-
    Not App Catalog friendly (I would like to be able to put this in the app catalog once they finally document the api's I'm using), and I just don't know how. I haven't looked into it, and I don't really have time. Sorry. If Palm every allows actual background processes without a notification in WebOS, I'll put it in asap, but other than that, the card will have to stay.
    Zinge have you looked into apps like tweed that run the in the background without at notification in the dashboard? Don't get me wrong here I'm only trying to offer what little help I can in accomplishing it. I'm assuming both you and some or all of the users would prefer it. If you haven't I wonder if they would be willing to share how they run in the background without a notification in the dashboard.
    Has anyone else had problems with Classic and Brightness Unlinked?

Classic frequently locked up until I uninstalled Brightness, after the uninstall, no more lock ups.
    not sure if someone here has mentioned having problems with the touchscreen not responding...but I'm having a similar issue and my only way of fixing is a reboot...I do have LED notifications on and everytime I use BU to turn off the screen to sleep when I get a notification I turn on the screen by pressing the power button and then out of no where the screen is completely unresponsive...did someone have here a problem similar and wuts the fix? Thank you!
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!