Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I have been absolutely horrible. I have installed quite a few of these homebrew apps and use some of them daily. I need to do a better job of thanking the people that take the time to create them. This particular app has gotten me off my lazy **** to change that.

You see, I love my Pre. I love charging via the touchstone. I HATED putting a towel over it every night so it didn't illuminate the entire bedroom. Why Palm does not allow us to put the phone to sleep while on the touchstone is beyond me but I am very appreciative that you have taken the time to create this app.
  2.    #382  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmun View Post
    I have the latest version installed (0.2.2) and I have run app in background set to On and the touchstone sleep toggle set to On. But it won't sleep if the card is not open. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Now I have noticed that the sleep on the touchstone doesn't work unless the card is open. I don't know what has changed because it did work in the dashboard the other day.

Also, I had it wake up from the touchstone and not allow be to toggle the run in the dashboard option. The switch just would not move. This amounts to the app never closing because if you swipe it away it is still running. If I bring it back up, the toggle still would not work. The only thing I can do at that point is reset the pre. This happens pretty consistently now.

Still a great app. Keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    Same issue here. I'm on call this week and need to use the "sleep" function. No other problems noted.

-JerryG

cdjh - the touchscreen not responding in certain sections and the center button lighting up are both part of the same bug. The phone seems to freak out about 1/2 the time when I send it the "Power off display backlight" command. I have absolutely no idea why. I'm still trying to find another way to turn off the screen, and I didn't want to leave buggy code in, but enough people use the touchstone toggle even when its partially working that I put it back in for this version.

JerryG/jumn/cdjh - try putting having it running in dashboard, on the touchstone, and then pressing the power button. Does it go to clocklock or turn off?
  3.    #383  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    I wish mine would stay on. :-) I did the same settings, let it run in the background but it went to sleep.
    Jeking, still working on adding back in the "not allow sleep" part of the toggle :-). Also, just to clear things up, please don't use "sleep". Use either "screen off" (if the power is cut to the screen), or "clocklock" for the touchstone sleep screen.
  4.    #384  
    Long and slightly technical explanation of touchstone issues:

Before I was able to buy a touchstone (thanks!), I thought that the touchstone was disabling the ability for the screen to go to sleep by using a display blockRequest. The blockRequest is a way for an app to tell the display to ignore dim/sleep requests until the blockRequest was released. I figured once I got the touchstone, I could find the id of the blockRequest that was being called by the power manager and cancel it, allowing the phone to sleep. Now that I have a touchstone and I can watch what it does when you take the phone on and off of it, I found out its a lot more complicated than that. Instead of blocking the screen, it fundamentally changes how the screen handles power requests. Normally, the display dbus service sends out signals when certain events happen. These signals are sent to the other services to let them act on display events. The signals are things such as displayDimmed, displayOn, displayOff, displayActive, displayInactive, etc. One example of this is that everytime the screen turns off, the displayOff signal is sent to the wifi service, which responds by turning off the wifi radio. To make my app restore the keyboard settings when the phone is turned on, I subscribed to the display events. In my app, I wrote a section of code that says "every time you see a 'displayOn' event, set the keyboard brightness again'. (This is why the app has to be running in the background to work.) So I watched the dbus signals while the phone is on the touchstone, and guess what? The 'displayOff' signal that is sent when the screen turns off is also sent when the phone goes to the clocklock screen on the touchstone. When that screen happens, the display dbus service thinks that the phone screen is physically off! (sorry about my spelling.) What I'm doing for the touchstone toggle right now is adding a section that says "when you see the 'displayOff' event, change the brightness of the screen to '-1'", which the backlight of the screen off. It is one of the same commands that the phone sends when it turns off normally. For some reason, this command is causing all kinds of issues (center button lights up, touchscreen doesn't always respond, etc). I have no idea why. The other problem is that if you don't press the power button while the phone is on the touchstone, it never receives the 'displayOff' event. At some point after your screen&lock timeout, it receives a 'displayInactive' event, so I put in code to turn off the screen when that comes in as well. The reason the phone doesn't go back to sleep after a notification sometimes is that for some reason, the 'displayInactive' or 'displayOff' events are not sent again. I'm not sure why, again.

My options seem to be 1. Figure out why the 'kill power to the backlight' command is causing problems, 2. Figure out another command that will turn off the screen properly, or 3. Figure out a way to trick the phone into thinking its connected to the usb charger instead of the touchstone.

Number 1 would be good to figure out on general principal. Its not touchstone related; the '-1 brightness' command always turns off the screen, and is still buggy regardless of whether or not the phone is charging. I don't know why. There are other commands sent when the phone is turned off, and I can emulate some of them, but that doesn't seem to work correctly either. For instance, one of the command is to turn off the power to the touchsensor. If I send that command as well as the screen off, when I turn the screen back on the touchsensor doesnt turn on and I can't do anything until I reboot the phone or turn the touchsensor back on via the command line.

I'm working on all of those ideas, but slowly. There is no documentation for any of this, so I'm just making it up.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    JerryG/jumn/cdjh - try putting having it running in dashboard, on the touchstone, and then pressing the power button. Does it go to clocklock or turn off?
    zinge - It will go to clocklock.

If I then unlock, bring BU out of the dashboard, then return it to the dashboard, and press the power button, the screen will turn off. Verified this with several test runs.

Thanks,

-JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  6.    #386  

If I then unlock, bring BU out of the dashboard, then return it to the dashboard, and press the power button, the screen will turn off. Verified this with several test runs.

Thanks,

-JerryG
    Thanks; I just tried it and I can replicate the problem. I think its not reading the toggle correctly the first time it is pushed to the dashboard... gonna go play with the code a bit and see if I can fix it.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Jeking, still working on adding back in the "not allow sleep" part of the toggle :-). Also, just to clear things up, please don't use "sleep". Use either "screen off" (if the power is cut to the screen), or "clocklock" for the touchstone sleep screen.
    Sorry for the confusion. I'll be more clear in the future. Keep up the great work.
  8.    #388  

Thanks,

-JerryG
    Just published 0.2.3. Seems to fix that specific problem, at least on my phone. Lemme know if it works for you.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Zinge,

Would things be easier if you just came up with a mod or patch which comments out the code that starts the clock lock screen altogether?

I don't know much about how it works (but I appreciate your explanation) so I can't say if this is even possible. But with all the patches that you can do now by changing the webOS system files, maybe it would be easier to just do more of a drastic mod to the system that is somehow reversible.

As it is, many of us will need to reverse these patches (keyboard, themes, etc) before an update. So what's one more? I'd certainly have no problem permanently disabling the clock lock screen.

Thanks for the work on this. Great job
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Just published 0.2.3. Seems to fix that specific problem, at least on my phone. Lemme know if it works for you.
    Oy, mate! You rock! Loaded the new version, sent it to the dashboard. Turned off the screen, put it on the touchstone. Went to clocklock for a fraction of a second, then the screen turned off.

Picked it up, and put it back with the screen on, pressed the power button, quick-clocklock, then nice sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppp, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Cool!

Cheers/thanks,

-JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
  11.    #391  
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Zinge,

Would things be easier if you just came up with a mod or patch which comments out the code that starts the clock lock screen altogether?

I don't know much about how it works (but I appreciate your explanation) so I can't say if this is even possible. But with all the patches that you can do now by changing the webOS system files, maybe it would be easier to just do more of a drastic mod to the system that is somehow reversible.

As it is, many of us will need to reverse these patches (keyboard, themes, etc) before an update. So what's one more? I'd certainly have no problem permanently disabling the clock lock screen.

Thanks for the work on this. Great job
    Would it be easier? Not really, as I don't know where the touchstone/clocklock stuff is coming from. I'm pretty sure its in binaries somewhere, not in a file I can patch/mod. Plus, on principal I don't want any of my apps to require patches (no real reason, I just think that if I can do it through an app, its a little nicer). If you can find where in the system it is coming from, I can see how hard it would be to write a patch. But at that point I could probably just see what they are changing and maybe make my app work correctly :-)
    Hey, I love the app. Only thing is that I find myself running it at night and then turning the background service off in the morning. Anyway you could add a timer feature to it so I can set it to automatically start the service say at 8pm (running in the background) and shut itself off at 6am?

Thanks,

RGee
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I have been using my Pre as my alarm clock. If I put it into sleep mode to darken the display, will the alarm still work?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I didn't make it though all 20 pages of the thread but I just upgraded from a previous version and the icon when the program is running in the background is too large on my bar. I imagine this isn't happening to everyone?
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djschmitt View Post
    I didn't make it though all 20 pages of the thread but I just upgraded from a previous version and the icon when the program is running in the background is too large on my bar. I imagine this isn't happening to everyone?
    The original image, the one you're seeing, has been replaced with a smaller on. However, it needs to 'refresh' to replace the old one. I forget it I rebooted the phone or just restarted the app. Try one or the other and you should see the smaller one.
  16.    #396  
    Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDoc View Post
    I have been using my Pre as my alarm clock. If I put it into sleep mode to darken the display, will the alarm still work?
    No idea. Try it and find out.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    The original image, the one you're seeing, has been replaced with a smaller on. However, it needs to 'refresh' to replace the old one. I forget it I rebooted the phone or just restarted the app. Try one or the other and you should see the smaller one.
    Rebooting the phone did the trick. Thanks
    1) The notification icon should show up the correct size after a reboot, or Luna restart.

2) Turning off notifications when locked is the only way that > I < know of...

I put in an app request for a Dashboard Manager, but no replies.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...d-manager.html
    Don't even know if it can be done...

HTH,

-JerryG
    Sorry for the delay... Thanks for the follow up

OK, I updated to 2.3.0 and so far:

1) Icon in the tray is correct after reboot... YAY

2) When the phone is not locked (screen on) and the bg svc is running and the TS toggle is set, the screen goes to sleep after the timeout... YAY

3) When the phone is locked (screen on) and the bg svc is running and the TS toggle is set, the screen goes to sleep after the timeout... YAY

4) When the phone is locked (screen off) and the bg svc is running and the TS toggle is set, the screen goes to sleep after the timeout... YAY

5) The notification bar still remains when locked...

GREAT update! This is really turning into a really fine polished app...

My only request would be a toggle that would allow the Pre's screen to sleep immediately upon being put on the TS but still let you wake it up and use it on there if you should so choose

19.    #399  
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    Sorry for the delay... Thanks for the follow up

OK, I updated to 2.3.0 and so far:

1) Icon in the tray is correct after reboot... YAY

2) When the phone is not locked (screen on) and the bg svc is running and the TS toggle is set, the screen goes to sleep after the timeout... YAY

3) When the phone is locked (screen on) and the bg svc is running and the TS toggle is set, the screen goes to sleep after the timeout... YAY

4) When the phone is locked (screen off) and the bg svc is running and the TS toggle is set, the screen goes to sleep after the timeout... YAY

5) The notification bar still remains when locked...

GREAT update! This is really turning into a really fine polished app...

My only request would be a toggle that would allow the Pre's screen to sleep immediately upon being put on the TS but still let you wake it up and use it on there if you should so choose

Just press the power button to turn it off immediately.
    Evening Everyone,

I have installed this app as I was looking for more apps then offered on the Pre's App Store provided.

I have found several excellent programs (to those I give my thanks).

I do have a question though.

I have the program running and I have it on my Touchstone (ST), but the screen does not go asleep. I assume that when it goes asleep, that the screen is suppost to go "dark".

Is there a setting that is suppost to have it go to asleep when attached to the TS?