Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem, but last night for the first time my pre kept on coming back on. I have used this app for about 2 weeks and is has always turned my pre screen off, until last night. Last night I woke up several times to the digital clock. I would unlock my pre, hit the button to turn the screen off to only find it back on about an hour later.

I have never had a problem with this app until last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdwild01 View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem, but last night for the first time my pre kept on coming back on. I have used this app for about 2 weeks and is has always turned my pre screen off, until last night. Last night I woke up several times to the digital clock. I would unlock my pre, hit the button to turn the screen off to only find it back on about an hour later.

Same exact thing happened to me last night. weird.
  3.    #203  
    Minor update coming later tonight that fixes the problem with the touchstone button not showing up if you open the app after its on the touchstone. Also has a new version of the touchstone button. I can only test it with the USB charger, since I still don't have a touchstone. If it works, it will work correctly. If it doesn't work, it won't do anything at all (as opposed to the current one that half-works). I'll give you more info when I upload it tonight.

Also, info on how the "running in the background" is going: as of now, it looks like there is no way to run something completely in the background the way I need it to run. I'm working on converting the app to run in the dashboard instead. More info later, gotta run.
  4.    #204  
    September 4th Update (0.1.3): Adds monitoring for display sleep, dim, and power button. As long as the app is open, it should work perfectly. You should no longer need to fiddle with the sliders to bring the settings back. I also updated the touchstone button code. It should now recognize that it is on the touchstone if you open the program after it is already charging. It should also correctly let the screen sleep when it is charging on the touchstone. However, I don't have a touchstone, so let me know.

Next update (once I finish it) will let the app run in the dashboard, so you don't have to keep the card open all the time.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    The touchstone button no longer works for me at all after updating to 0.1.3.
    I concur with Xominous.

No button if running before and putting it on TS, no button if put on TS then running app.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    No touchstone buttom on new version when on Touchstone.

OTOH, the button does come up during USB charging. Also changing the button setting during USB charging does not affect Touchstone usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by xominous View Post
    "that's what she said" Same problem here.
  9.    #209  
    Sorry. I test it with usb, so I probably forgot to uncomment the touchstone code. Its very hard for me to write code without a touchstone. :-). I'll upload a new version whe I get home. Just to make sure, its not a button anymore, its a toggle switch. If yiu aren't getting it, I'll make sure I didn't comment out the touchstone part and upload a new version when I get home. Isit restoring keyboard brightness whe the app is open and you turn the screen on and off by pressing the power button?
    Quote Originally Posted by anarchyburger View Post
    I'm not sure how possible that is. But I'm sure you might be able to make some kind of day vs night settings or profile options. That way it could save your settings for day and/or night, and then quickly switch the phone from day to night settings
    Love the app, this (quote above) is what I'd like to see. You don't even need some fancy timers, just add a couple buttons to the bottom of the scene for Save 1 and Save 2. I guess you would then need some way of actually setting the "saves." I also think your "todos" mentions using a key combo to trigger something similar to this.

Anyway, thanks for the update. I look forward to seeing what you do with this app in the future.
    Last edited by frankos72; 09/27/2009 at 12:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Sorry. I test it with usb, so I probably forgot to uncomment the touchstone code. Its very hard for me to write code without a touchstone. :-). I'll upload a new version whe I get home. Just to make sure, its not a button anymore, its a toggle switch. If yiu aren't getting it, I'll make sure I didn't comment out the touchstone part and upload a new version when I get home. Isit restoring keyboard brightness whe the app is open and you turn the screen on and off by pressing the power button?
    When the Touchstone Toggle Switch is set to 'On' the screen does not turn off while on the Touchstone after updating to version 0.1.3. The new version does restore the keyboard brightness when the app is open and you turn the screen on and off by pressing the power button. Love this app and the frequent updates.
    I am fully updated and I don't see anything pertaining to the touchstone. What I am missng here? It still looks like the original program with just the brightness and keypad sliders.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Knee Dragger; 09/05/2009 at 10:52 AM.
    There is no spoon
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Ok can someone who is rich (hard to find nowadays) send this fellow enough of a donation to buy a touchstone I think he deserves it with all this work.
  14.    #214  
    Quote Originally Posted by xominous View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
    I concur with Xominous.

No button if running before and putting it on TS, no button if put on TS then running app.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    No touchstone buttom on new version when on Touchstone.

OTOH, the button does come up during USB charging. Also changing the button setting during USB charging does not affect Touchstone usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    "that's what she said" Same problem here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I am fully updated and I don't see anything pertaining to the touchstone. What I am missng here? It still looks like the original program with just the brightness and keypad sliders.

Any ideas?
    I just checked my code, and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $it$ $should$ $pop$ $up$ $the$ $toggle$ $switch$ $when$ $you$ $put$ $it$ $on$ $the$ $touchstone$ ($not$ $a$ $button$ $anymore$, $sorry$ $if$ $that$ $was$ $unclear$). $The$ $toggle$ $should$ $let$ $you$ $set$ $the$ $phone$ $to$ $go$ $to$ $sleep$ $normally$ $when$ $its$ $on$ $the$ $touchstone$. $I$ $only$ $tested$ $it$ $on$ $usb$, $but$ $it$ $works$ $there$. ($Ex$. $Normally$ $when$ $USB$ $charging$, $the$ $phone$ $turns$ $off$ $after$ $the$ $screen$ $timeout$. $If$ $you$ $set$ $the$ &$quot$;$Allow$ $sleep$ $while$ $charging$&$quot$; $toggle$ $to$ &$quot$;$off$&$quot$;, $it$ $won$'$t$ $ever$ $turn$ $off$.) $If$ $somebody$ $has$ $ssh$/$shell$ $access$ $to$ $their$ $phone$ (&$quot$;$root$&$quot$;) $and$ $wants$ $to$ $try$ $something$ $for$ $me$, $it$ $might$ $help$.

Test I need done by somebody with root access and with a touchstone:

Turn on your phone. Close the all running apps (including mine). Set the screen timeout to the longest setting (3 min I think?). Close the settings apps. In the shell/putty, type
    Code:
    dbus-util --capture
    , then hit enter. Immediately put your phone on the touchstone, then take it off. Hit Ctrl-C in the shell/putty window to exit the capture utility. Copy and paste everything that showed up in the window, and send it to me.

I don't know how easy those instructions are to understand, sorry. I'm not sure, but this info may help me fix the touchstone toggle switch. Can somebody (besides me) test the USB part to make sure it is working? Plug in USB to charge, toggle should show up. Switch toggle to "On" and your phone should sleep after the screen timeout. Switch toggle to "Off" and your phone should never sleep until you unplug it. (Once I get the touchstone part working, it will be the same).
  15.    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPre View Post
    When the Touchstone Toggle Switch is set to 'On' the screen does not turn off while on the Touchstone after updating to version 0.1.3. The new version does restore the keyboard brightness when the app is open and you turn the screen on and off by pressing the power button. Love this app and the frequent updates.
    Thanks for the feedback. It seems to work for USB, but not for the touchstone yet. If you have shell/root access, and you can follow my instructions above, that would be helpful.
  16.    #216  
    Quote Originally Posted by kdwild01 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by threefiftyli View Post
    Same exact thing happened to me last night. weird.
    Not sure why it specifically happened last night, but that version of the button to turn off the screen is flaky. I'm trying to do it a better way, but I either need a touchstone (anyone in South Florida?) or someone to follow the testing instructions I just posted and maybe I can make it work. Thanks.
  17.    #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloflin View Post
    I think enough has been said. This app has potential. But as of 0.1.2 it is broken.

I try to use it everyday and the benefit is so fleeting that at this point it is not worth using. I would think Palm will include this in the system Brightness setting at some point.

Zinge, I know you are doing this in your free time, but could you please give it an update even if only something small so we can help you troubleshoot it further step by step.

I (we) do appreciate your work so far. Maybe you could pass on your work so far to someone you know of who could move it forward if you don't have time right now.

Brad L.
    Hopefully Palm will eventually include this, and then I can work on something else, but for now they haven't. They also haven't included a way to actually save the brightness of the display separate from the brightness of the keyboard within the code of the luna system. That is why it is so complicated to get my app to work correctly. It has to sit and monitor every time something (another app, the power button, light sensor, etc) tries to change the brightness, and intercept the call. I just released another update last night, and will be slowly working on more. I don't know anyone else who could/would work on this; its not as though there are people clamoring to take the project from me. I don't actually know anyone else (personally) who does WebOS app programming. If you know someone, go ahead and tell them to try it. The app is open source; I'm not hiding anything.
  18.    #218  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbloflin View Post
    Leaving an app running all the time is a hassle and in the long run not going to happen for most people. I tried leaving it running but still had to constantly bring it forward and fiddle with it to have the keyboard brighten up then within moments (after a sleep cycle) it would be dim again. As far as the screen off Touchstone feature, I do use that sometimes, but the bright button glowing in a dark room is intolerable for me, so I have to cover it up with something, negating the purpose of the app, i.e. - not having to cover it up while on the Touchstone.

BTW, the Touchstone is the bomb. It's makes you feel even more like you have a special uber-cool device. Hard to explain, but it really adds tangible value to your experience. Definitely worth the $43 bucks.

The new update fixes the problems with dim and sleep cycles as long as the app is open. The touchstone thing is being worked on, but I DON'T HAVE A TOUCHSTONE (not yelling, just trying to make that really clear) :-). I agree that the touchstone seems cool. If you have the $43 bucks plus shipping plus whatever the backplate and extra wall charger cost, I would be glad to accept your donation of a touchstone (or the money to buy one) so I can make my app more helpful to you.
  19.    #219  
    Also, to the couple people that have donated; thank you.
    My keyboard no longer works. Has anybody figured out how to get it working again? The keypad lights up but there is no response at all from any of the buttons anymore.