Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    We are proud to release FlightBriefer version 0.1.6.

New features:
    • Renamed from PreFlight to FlightBriefer to avoid trademark issues.
    • Improved TAF report handling when no TAF is available.
    • METARs now show 6 hours of history.
    • Virtually the entire app is now portrait/landscape aware.
    • Add "Tail Number Lookup..." to the App Menu

Existing Features:
    • Dead simple METAR/TAF/PIREP lookups along a route
    • AIRMET/SIGMET/Prog chart graphics
    • A WxRad animated radar link
    • Route calculator
    • Flight logger
    • Quick driving directions to the nearest airport
    • Winds Aloft graphics
    • DUATS briefing support

A SourceForge.net page has been created for tracking bugs and feature requests - please don't be shy!

To download, go to the "homebrew apps" section of this website, between "accessory store" and "forums" at the top of your screen. We are in the "Reference" category.

It is also in the "FileCoaster" list of Homebrew Apps.

It is also downloadable from the SourceForge.net site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by adsllc; 08/25/2009 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Release FlightBriefer-0.1.6
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Very cool. I am getting ready to start flight school, great to see other flight enthusiasts here. Great start !
    Big thanks from another pilot trainee
    This is wild. I confess that I have absolutely no use or interest in this app, but it's still great to see apps with this specific a focus being written for webOS. Thank you for your work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    This is wild. I confess that I have absolutely no use or interest in this app, but it's still great to see apps with this specific a focus being written for webOS. Thank you for your work!
    i feel the same way
    I get an error on install message with file coaster and no install on quick install
    hmm after install and getting the data, i hit the add route button which takes me to a screen that is blank but for a add waypoint and what appears to be a search box at the top. the rest of the screen is blank and nothing is clickable. am i doing something wrong?
    You have to go under the preflight menu at the top left corner and select pull data,
    Got it working what will the fee be in the future?
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I'm going to DL this when I get home. Any support for text wx (metar/taf/eyc) for the route of flight in the works? Maybe Jepp Plates at some point?

But great work so far and I'm looking forward to future updates!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by offsprg01 View Post
    hmm after install and getting the data, i hit the add route button which takes me to a screen that is blank but for a add waypoint and what appears to be a search box at the top. the rest of the screen is blank and nothing is clickable. am i doing something wrong?
    Start typing an airport ID or name. I probably should add a hint to that effect!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Got it working what will the fee be in the future?
    Not sure yet - I guess it depends on the interest level. I would expect a few bucks per data set for the airport database, possibly more for charts. It might be annoying, but it shouldn't be painful.

That said, the data you pull doesn't time out or anything; you only would need to pull new data if you wanted the FAA updates, wiped your Pre, that sort of thing.

For the time being, I'm more focused on adding more features to the app than developing the subscription back end, so you've got plenty of time to freeload! I just wanted to be very upfront about the future so I don't get accused of bait-and-switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    i feel the same way
    I'm with you guys. It just shows how great the pre can be, especially with a diverse community of people working together.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    I'm going to DL this when I get home. Any support for text wx (metar/taf/eyc) for the route of flight in the works? Maybe Jepp Plates at some point?
    I'm currently working on some E6B functions (crosswinds/winds aloft/etc) since they're relatively easy and figuring the winds aloft from my GNS430 is pretty painful.

METARs/TAFs are on my list, but not immediate action items. The ADDS website is quite functional, so it's not a pressing need. Also, to do it right, I should support automatic background download and storage of the data, which is a bit of work.

I'd love support for plates (probably NACO and not Jepp due to licensing), but automagically keeping the right stuff on the device is non-trivial. It will happen - just be patient!

I also plan an Airplane Mode Arm - automatically turn the WiFi & cellular on and off based on some target GPS speed. I want the device to automatically update its data while I'm pumping fuel, but keep the battery drain low and keep the FCC happy while I'm burning that fuel. I haven't looked into the API yet to see how challenging it will be.

I guess I might as well keep an automatic logbook while I've got all that info...

It's all just waiting to get put into code...
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Sucks.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    JK.

Nice little app.
    Nice app. Question: If I decide to delete it, does it delete the data too?

stash
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Hey man, I'm not to interested in what it can do currently, but I am VERY interested in some of the stuff you seem to have planned for it. Keep up the good work and I'll be watching. Thanks for your contribution to WebOS.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...ation-your-pre

I am happy to announce a very slick tool for those aviation enthusiasts out there with Pre’s.

Pre-Flight is an application that pulls common weather information from the NOAA ADDS weather data service.

The following weather information (raw) is accessible:
    • METARS and TAFS for a select set of airports (i.e. KDAL)
    • PIREPS and AIRMETS/SIGMETS for a selected path (i.e. KDAL KORD)
    • Prog Charts

DISCLAIMER: THIS TOOL IS NOT A CERTIFIED FLIGHT TOOL. IT IS TO BE USED FOR EDUCATIONAL/INSTRUCTIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.

Please read the disclaimer carefully before deciding to use this application. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comments/suggestions/feedback welcome!!

Enjoy.

Regards,

Doug Anson (ansond)
    danson@austin.rr.com
    Can you make this filecoaster friendly?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast