Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I love how this app has evolved over the past few months. It's one I'm using almost daily. Is there any means of accessing or exporting the flight log data? Perhaps as a CSV file?
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I upgraded to the new version and now it doesn't work. Anyone else have this issue?
    Same here. I can't get Flight Briefer to work after upgrading.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    To those who have been having issues - can you give me more detail? I've received a few emails from some who say that, when launched, the app comes up with a blank/white screen. Is that what you are seeing? if so, can you post more detail on your Pre:
    - what version of WebOS
    - any tweaks/etc?
    - What was the last version of FlightBriefer that worked?
    - Are you seeing any other "slowness" in your Pre (outside of FlightBriefer)?
    - What tool did you use to download/install FlightBriefer?

I'm very puzzled by this issue - and to be honest - I'm not quite sure what's causing it. Any info you can provide will be most helpful for me.

thanks,

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Also, FYI, FlightBriefer has been promoted to the Palm Catalog! You might want to give that a try (if you are having issues with the one in homebrew). There are no differences between the apps though - aside from the appid changing. FYI, if you do, you will loose your existing flightlog database (the app id had to change...). You can backup your existing database first with Firefox's SQLite manager plugin (with the Pre connected via USB sync to access the filesystem).

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hi:

Below are some sample instructions on backing up and restoring your flightlog database.

For sake of example, the instructions are based upon the following task:
    • I am going to backup my flightlog database from the FlightBriefer application
    • I am going to restore my flightlog database into the FlightLog application

Also, for the sake of example, I am using Windows on my PC. Linux and Mac should also work.

First, I recommend you download and install the Firefox browser – that is what I start with.

You will also download and install a plug-in into your Firefox browser called “SQLite Manager”.

SQLite Manager will be the tool that is used to perform the actual database backup and restore.

Let’s get started.

To Backup:
    1. Download and install the SQLite Manager plug-in for the Firefox browser
    2. Connect your Pre to your desktop via USB –select “USB Drive” mode
    • In this example, I assume the Pre as a USB drive gets mounted as “E:” (again, for Windows)
    3. Launch the SQLite Manager from within Firefox (Its under the Tools menu)
    4. From the SQLite Manager top menu, select: Database->Connect Database
    5. Navigate to something like this: “E:\.app-storage\file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.ansonworks.flightbriefer-palm_0”
    6. Select “All Files” in the lower right hand corner of the current window you are navigating in
    7. You may see 2 files (for FlightBriefer, you *may* see 2 files – a one big and a one small one) – open the *small* one
    8. If successfully opened, you should see a “Tables” drop down on the left with 3 tables – one of them is called “flightlog”
    • If you don’t see that table, go back to 7) and open the “other” file…
    9. Select “flightlog” and go to Table->Export Table from the top menu
    10. Choose “SQL” and leave both check boxes unchecked
    11. Make sure the top of the Export wizard says something like this: “Database: Main Name of the table: flightlog”
    12. Press the OK button – The next window should allow you to choose a location on your PC and give you the option to name your export file.
    13. Select a location *on your PC* and name the file something like “flightbriefer-flightlog-backup-11_25.sql” (suffix is important –make sure its “.sql”)
    14. Press Save.
    15. Back at the SQLite Manger top level menu, select “Database->Close Database”

Your Flightlog database should now be backed up.

To Restore:
    1. Follow steps 1), 2), 3) and 4) as in the Backup section (again, in this example, I assume my Pre gets mounted as “E:” for Windows)
    2. Navigate to something like this: “E:\.app-storage\.app-storage\file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.ansonworks.flightlog-palm_0”
    3. You should see 1 file (for the Flightlog app there is only one – a small one) – open the small one
    4. From the left hand “Tables” dropdown, select “flightlog”
    5. Now, from the SQLite Manager top menu, select “Database->Import”
    6. Press “Select File” and choose the backup file that you saved above (i.e. “flightbriefer-flightlog-backup-11_25.sql”)
    7. Select the SQL tab and ensure the checkbox is unchecked.
    8. Press the OK button – you should get a confirmation dialog – confirm that as well
    9. If the import succeeded, you should get a notice on the import wizard that your entries were successfully imported into the flightlog table.
    10. Back at the SQLite Manger top level menu, select “Database->Close Database”
    11. Launch FlightLog and confirm that your log entries are now visible there and can be manipulated.

Your Flightlog database is now restored.

Enjoy!

Doug
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I used preware to install it. Once it became available in the app catalog, I installed it from there and now it works great! Thanks.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Proud to release v1.0.8 (in the Palm Catalog now). New in v1.0.8
    - ability to select "all" or "none" in the flight log for summary calculations
    - misc small bug fixes including clean up on behavior of a new install prior to downloading the navdata database

From here on out, all updates will come through Palm Catalog... hoping that's OK with everyone. Regards,

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Update 12/10 - sorry for the delay folks... having issues with Palm catalog submitter... ALSO, had to back out the "sorting" update - it will require more thinking on my part - my apologies. When v1.0.10 makes it out to the catalog, I'll post something. Doug

Happy Holiday!

I am very happy to have released to the Palm catalog Flightbriefer v1.0.10.

v1.0.10 brings several new features:
    - Re-vamped AIRMET/SIGMET feature - you can now select and view the indivdiual airmets and sigmets (i.e. IFR, Turbulence, etc...)
    - Added Freezing forecasts from ADDS
    - Added Icing CIP/FIP information from ADDS

As soon as Palm reviews the submission, it should be available for download from the Palm catalog. Enjoy!

Hoping everyone has a safe and happy holiday...

Regards,

Doug
    Last edited by ansond; 12/10/2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Updated content - bumped v1.0.9 to v1.0.10, removed sorting comment
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Update 1/12

v1.0.10 is finally in the hands of Palm's review team - hopefully it will be published in a day or so.

Additionally, I 've pushed out a version for homebrew that is equivalent to v1.0.10 in the Palm catalog (except the app id) - for those of you who still pull from the homebrew site.

Enjoy!

Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandyfc View Post
    Doug, Thanks for asking.......

I took off of Preware and like your app. I was wondering though if there is a way you could track a flight by tail number using the technology as in this site FlightAware > N200VU. As an emergency dispatcher for medical flights, this tells me where my A/C is and will show the filed plan back as well as ETA's and other pertinent info.

thanks !!

Doug, I know you are busy, and understand. Have you had a chance to take a look at this question more seriously as in if it is a possibility or not ?? When you have time, take a look for us aviator followers as a business (Dispatchers of Medical Aircraft).

Thanks,

Ron
    Hi Doug,
    Great app! I'll have great use for some parts of this for work and when flying for leisure. Sadly though, the US charts are of little us to me here in England. Is there any way to configure it so that we can access UK charts as well as American ones?

Cheers,
    Ben
    Hello,

Thanks the application is neat. I did however have two functions that I couldn't get to work. I have a new Palm Pre Plus on Verizon.

1. I installed both the weather channel and accuweather. When I launch the radar function when I have selected the weather channel, the app launches the weather channel. When I launch the accuweather with accuweather selected, it says com.accuweather.palm not found. Not a big deal but I wanted to pass along that there is an issue there.

2. the more aaoying issue is that I tried to enter a route on the route menu. It gave me the compass heading and distance. When I tried to "pull data" the application dispalys the message that this service may cost in the future and locks up. Is there an issue there? Is this now a pay service. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
    Doug, Thanks for asking.......

I took off of Preware and like your app. I was wondering though if there is a way you could track a flight by tail number using the technology as in this site FlightAware > N200VU. As an emergency dispatcher for medical flights, this tells me where my A/C is and will show the filed plan back as well as ETA's and other pertinent info.

thanks !!

Doug, I know you are busy, and understand. Have you had a chance to take a look at this question more seriously as in if it is a possibility or not ?? When you have time, take a look for us aviator followers as a business (Dispatchers of Medical Aircraft).

Thanks,

Ron

3/13/2010 STATUS of answer to question??
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

Thanks,

Ron

3/13/2010 STATUS of answer to question??
    @Ron:

Sorry for the delay - I have tried to ping the FlightAware folks about that feature - I've not heard back from them...

I am hesitant to just "tie" the app into FlightAware without their permission. Same thought applies to the AirNav folks (and their fuel price search feature)... both would be GREAT on this app... but unless they give me the "go"...

As soon as something happens along those lines, I'll shout it out and start to work on the updates....

Hope you understand.

Regards,

Doug
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Doug,

Great program you have here. One thing I would like for the pre that I used on my centro was the airport info from fltplan.com. They had a program you downloaded that was available off line (inflight). Any chance that could be an additional feature of your program? I talked to someone at fltplan.com and they said they had no plans for the pre...hopefully that has changed since I talked to them last. Thanks. Jeff
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Happy to try - can you send me contact information that you have at fltplan.com ? Alternatively, you can forward my name and email (ansondtx20@gmail.com) and have them get in touch with me... either way works fine.

Regards,

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ansond View Post
    @Ron:

Sorry for the delay - I have tried to ping the FlightAware folks about that feature - I've not heard back from them...

I am hesitant to just "tie" the app into FlightAware without their permission. Same thought applies to the AirNav folks (and their fuel price search feature)... both would be GREAT on this app... but unless they give me the "go"...

As soon as something happens along those lines, I'll shout it out and start to work on the updates....

Hope you understand.

Regards,

Doug
    @Ron:

One additional thing - if you have a contact at FlightAware that I can contact, I'm happy to try to persue it that way... you can give them my name and email if they prefer.

Regards,

Doug
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhamblin View Post
    Doug,

Great program you have here. One thing I would like for the pre that I used on my centro was the airport info from fltplan.com. They had a program you downloaded that was available off line (inflight). Any chance that could be an additional feature of your program? I talked to someone at fltplan.com and they said they had no plans for the pre...hopefully that has changed since I talked to them last. Thanks. Jeff
    I'm missing this feature from my Centro also. I didn't really realize how much I used it until I was flying this morning and wanted to quickly look up some info on the destination airport on my Pre Plus but couldn't since everything I've got relies on the internet.

Hopefully fltplan.com will consider porting this for webos.
    Great App..keep up the good work.

Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 800W -> Launch Day Pre (RIP 08/13/10) -> Replacement PRE
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast