Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks! I hope the fuel thing pans out.. that would be a sweet app or addition. Amazingly quick turn!

Quote Originally Posted by adsllc View Post
    Version 0.1.6 has just been released with this and a bunch of other stuff. How's that for service?

I stuffed the lookup into the App Menu since it didn't fit anywhere else. It doesn't really fit there either...

One of these days we'll stop piling on new features and reorganize the UI - but I wouldn't hold my breath!
    The name change is disappointing, IMO.

Palm has no legal claim on the term, "pre-flight." The term has been used by both the aviation and printing industries for decades.

Palm does, however, have every right to keep any application out of the App Cat that they choose. That legal latitude is dependent upon Palm remaining open about app sideloading. That, so far, is the distinction with iPhone OS's App Store. Palm doesn't want to attract Washington's attention the way Apple has.

I think the reason Palm specifically mentioned PreFlight in their app naming guideline is that it was the one they'd have the most legal problems with.

For those interested, here is a brief survey of the internet regarding the term, "pre-flight"
    preflight - Wiktionary
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-flight_(printing)
    Definition of Preflight at Dictionary.com
    preflight - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I work for a large discount carrier based out of JFK and would like to mention that I am downloading WebOS Quick Install right now just so I can load this program. I'm excited to see what all you can do to expand it!
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    The name change is disappointing, IMO.

Palm has no legal claim on the term, "pre-flight." The term has been used by both the aviation and printing industries for decades.

Palm does, however, have every right to keep any application out of the App Cat that they choose. That legal latitude is dependent upon Palm remaining open about app sideloading. That, so far, is the distinction with iPhone OS's App Store. Palm doesn't want to attract Washington's attention the way Apple has.

I think the reason Palm specifically mentioned PreFlight in their app naming guideline is that it was the one they'd have the most legal problems with.

For those interested, here is a brief survey of the internet regarding the term, "pre-flight"
    preflight - Wiktionary
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-flight_(printing)
    Definition of Preflight at Dictionary.com
    preflight - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
    The reason I brought it up, was not that I literally thought they would have legal reasons, but because I wanted it to make it into the real store. I liked the original name better, but, this was likely the savviest move they could make
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    just a quick question: where is the airport data stored? i'm curious because i'm filling up my /var directory. also, is there a way to manually edit the database to add overseas/private/unlisted airports/navaids?
    From the Pre's point of view, the data is stored here:
    /media/internal/.app-storage/file_.var.usr.palm.applications.com.ansonworks.flightbriefer_0

I believe you can get to it from your PC with the Pre connected as a Mass Storage Device too - ".app-storage" should be in the root.

They are standard sqlite3 databases and can be edited with the usual tools. I'd recommend the "SQLite Manager" Firefox plugin.
    I got off of Preware and like your app. I was wondering though if there is a way you could track a flight by tail number using the technology as in this site. FlightAware > Live Flight Tracker > N200VU As an emergency dispatcher for medical flights, this tell me that this aircraft is in TRI (Tri Cites Airport) and will show the filed plan back as well as ETA's and other pertinent info.

thanks !!
    1st post, Hi all.

Great work guys!

I'd like to add a few suggestions:

1. Second the request for a combined metar/taf button.

2. While a zulu clock would be ideal, displaying the ADDS output header date/time stamp would work well for text products. ex. (1625 UTC 20 September 2009)

3. Include the Radar Coded Message Composite Image with Tops in FlightBriefer. This will allow users to swipe between the Tops image and WxRad, allowing a more 3D (or 4D if you loop it) interpretation of TS. Perhaps the Tops image could auto load in FB when the Radar button is pushed. See attached.

4. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, - J
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnny3; 09/20/2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: sp
    Ref. #3 above.

This one is a little larger and more legible at max zoom (918px 647px, 31.06 KB). Also, it more closely matches the scaling of WxRad for comparison purposes.

http://aviationweather.gov/data/obs/radar/rcm_tops.gif

--J
    I'm not able to get the DUATS Briefing to work. I try getting a briefing and everytime I try I get an error stating an "invalid DUATS username". I have confirmed that I can log into the DUATS website. Am I missing a step?

Also, I noticed if you press the 'Get Briefing' button multiple times it "opens" multiple briefing results windows within the same card. You have to swipe back multiple times to get back to the DUATS Briefing window. Seems like a bug. I came across this when I pressed the button twice accidentally. You can see the "card" load twice. It's quite strange behavior.

Also, I have a couple of suggestions:

1) When no information is available for an airport can you suffix the airport name at the end of the returned sentence? For example:

"No Reported METAR's for Airport E63"
    "No Reported TAF's for Airport P19"

I think this would be helpful when looking at the information for a flight route that includes several stops. It will be easy to see which airports are not reporting.

2) Building on the above, if an airport is not reporting any information (no METAR's, no TAF's, no PIREP's, etc.), it would be extremely helpful if there was an option to look at information for the closest airport. However, the closest airport may not have any information either...especially if it's a small airport. Therefore, I think it would be great if we had a button asking if we wanted information from surrounding airports. We click 'Yes' and then we get a list of airports within a 25 mile radius, or 50 miles, or 100 miles, etc (the radius can be a setting we select as well). This would come in handy because we coud then choose the biggest airport in the surrounding area which is more likely to have this information reported. For example, I fly out of P19 (Stellar Airpark) in Chandler, AZ, however, they don't have any METAR, TAF or PIREP's, so, I'm always checking that information out of either PHX (Phoenix Regional) or CHD (Chandler Muni). If I put in a flight plan in Flight Briefer between P19 and E63 (Gila Bend Muni) I get no METAR, no TAF and no PIREP information. I have to add PHX and CHD to my plan in order to get the surrounding information. I know to do this because I'm familiar with the area. However, if I put in a flight plan between airports in an area I'm not familiar with (i.e. during a cross-country) it would not be as easy. But, if I had a nifty little button on my Flight Briefer application that listed the nearby airports for airports on my flight plan that are not returning any weather information I could select from a list, which would make it a lot easier.

Actually, now that I think of it, it would be helpful to have this option for all airports.

I've come to use this app frequently. It's great!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    @Johnny3 - I have added the tops request - on the next update, it should be there...

I've still got the taf/metars as separate features though - they way you query and parse those are really different. Combining them could prove problematic in the current design. I'll look into it though.

I like the idea of adding set of clocks to the front page - maybe a local an zulu one...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hi All:

I've been spending alot of time focusing on the flight log feature - lots and lots of changes and updates there. To "vet" out those changes, I pulled that function out and made a separate application (FlightLog) that you can download and use/try.

Key to getting the flight log right is proper coverage on fields of interest for your logbook. I want to make sure that we have no really significant schema updates after the next release - only minor ones. So, if you get a chance, have a look at FlightLog and let me know if we are hitting the mark or not on the flight log component. Once done, the FlightBriefer log function will be updated to mimick the one in FlightLog.

Also, is there strong opinion out there if we wipe and reload your flight log on the next update? Reason I ask is that there are very big differences between the v1.0 schema and the latest one... I'm just curious if anyone is really using the v1.0 flight log feature... Thanks for input into this!

Doug
    I have the Log app, but to be honest I haven't used it. I've got everything in my paper log and on zululog.com. If FlightLog could sync to a web savvy cloud app, something like zululog or skylinked it'd be a no brainer and I'd go through the hoops to export everything and get it in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ansond View Post
    @Johnny3 - I have added the tops request - on the next update, it should be there...

I've still got the taf/metars as separate features though - they way you query and parse those are really different. Combining them could prove problematic in the current design. I'll look into it though.

I like the idea of adding set of clocks to the front page - maybe a local an zulu one...
    Ansond,

Best I can find regarding METAR/TAF button is the ADDS FAQ , it will give you a string similar to this:

Code:
    http://adds.aviationweather.gov/metars/index.php?submit=1&station_ids=KJFK,KDEN,KOAK&chk_tafs=on&chk_metars=on&hoursStr=6
    As far as the clock goes, I'm not sure you even need a local one as the pre clock is visible in portrait view.

Glad to see Tops made it in, I just wish AWC would push it out more often.
    Anyone want to answer my question of 8/30??!! re flight tracking.......
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    @johnny3 - COOL! thanks for the info - that might make things easier... I'll dive into it and see what I can do.

@Vandyfc: so sorry I missed your question - can you repeat? 8/30 was eons ago for me... drawing a blank. thanks.

Doug
    Last edited by ansond; 10/11/2009 at 01:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ansond View Post
    @johnny3 - COOL! thanks for the info - that might make things easier... I'll dive into it and see what I can do.

@Vandyfc: so sorry I missed your question - can you repeat? 8/30 was eons ago for me... drawing a blank. thanks.

Doug
    Doug, Thanks for asking.......

I took off of Preware and like your app. I was wondering though if there is a way you could track a flight by tail number using the technology as in this site FlightAware > N200VU. As an emergency dispatcher for medical flights, this tells me where my A/C is and will show the filed plan back as well as ETA's and other pertinent info.

thanks !!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    @Vandyfc - AH... cool idea... I'll see if I can add that... thanks for the response.

Regards,

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    We are proud to release v1.0.2
    - More DUATS integration
    - Flight log utility now in sync with FlightLog application
    - Added some additional weather links (Comp tops for one)
    - Cleanups

Note that you MUST uninstall your existing application FIRST, then install the new one. The reason for this is that the flight log schema has changed ALOT - the old one was pretty worthless - so, this time only (hopefully), we require a complete rebuild of the flight log database. So, be sure to record any entries in your existing flight log FIRST, then do the uninstall/install to get the latest version. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you. Hopefully it will be a one-time event for the tool.

Enjoy! Feedback/comments/suggestions welcome

Ansond/adsllc
    Wondering if there is an option to show translated METARs? I'm lazy. I use a widget on the mac (Aviation Weather Widget: Home) and i really like the "all in one" view. I do like the app tho!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Just posted out 1.0.4 - mostly minor updates in this release
    - Tested and adapted to Pixi resolutions
    - App menu clean ups that allow it to conform to Palm Catalog requirements
    - Scroll fading for lists that extend beyond the screen size
    - updates to the Log entry and edit pages to eliminate need to press the numlock key
    - Fixed bug in log pre-population routine when hobbs times are entered

On the To-Do List
    - I want to add "No XYZ reported for airport ABC" to the wx pages - but I'm having trouble figuring out how todo that... the Ajax routines in Mojo don't seem to allow me to register callback data to reference when the Ajax response happens.... sigh.
    - More clean ups and optimizations.

Enjoy!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast