Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    @da_magic - it should be in the homebrew apps page for Pre-flight - v0.0.4.

Additionally, if you have filecoaster installed, you should see it there.

Doug
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Doug,

This is a really great program, thanks for your hard work!

A few suggestions I'd like to offer:

1. How about a combined METAR/TAF button, instead of individual ones? For me, whenever I'm checking a METAR, I'm also going to want to see the TAF. For that matter, I'd really love to see a METAR/TAF/NOTAM button all in one. Ideally, if the airport doesn't generate a TAF, the nearest TAF would be shown instead. I realize that's a whole lot more complicated, but it would be killer.

2. I'd prefer more than 2 hours of METAR data. It would help with identifying weather trends (and comparing them to the TAF to see if what was promised in the TAF is actually happening). I'd say 4 hours worth would be ideal.

3. I'd also love to see you include animated Wx Radar into the app in some way. I think I'd prefer to have it open in a new card, so I could leave it open while bringing up other data.

4. How 'bout a way to save the data so it could be reviewed even if you don't have a data connection?

Thanks again, you've really done great work. Keep it up!

rotello
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adsllc View Post
    I'm the "PreFlight" & WxRad developer - I just replied to ansond's PM, but I wanted to make a public statement too. I hope we can work together, but I have no problem with him keeping his current name if things don't wind up working out that way. It wasn't intentional, so it's all good!

You can be sure that I've got his app on my phone as we speak!
    UPDATE: We've officially joined forces. ansond has been doing a heck of a lot of work merging them and adding new features. Forecast: severe to extreme awesome in the vicinity. Stay tuned!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    All:

Quick Update:
    adsllc and I have merged our two applications into a single (I think killer) application. We are putting some of the final touches on it now and will be posting it to the homebrew site really soon. The new app combines the features of both and ties them together. Additionally some new functionality is also added.

Regards,
    adsllc & ansond
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    All:

The new (combined) version of the PreFlight application is now on the homebrew site.

Please give it a try and tell us what you think.

Also, as the homebrew site points out, please un-install both older versions of Pre-Flight and Preflight, then install this new single, combined version.

Additionally, for the "nearest airport" driving directions thingy to work, you need to first go into the "flight planner" section and select "Pull Data" from the menu there. That will cause a download for the airports db into your Pre.

Lastly, adsllc has setup a sourceforge site where the code can be downloaded (it's licensed under GPLv3) - search for "Preflight" in sourceforge.

Enjoy!

adsllc & ansond.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    One other thing... with the new version, your GPS enabled and the Navdata DB pulled down, you can "shake" your Pre to re-query your current location and determine the nearest airport... please do be careful "shaking" though - it does not take a violent shake to make it work - a gentle controlled one works just fine...

Enjoy!

adsllc & ansond
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    This is starting to have some real potential. Now if you can get the moving map working . . . with realtime wx updates (and warnings of restricted areas)... Just kidding. This is makes preflight wx chores painless. thanks.
    Last edited by aric; 08/14/2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: typo
    Awesome app. Very helpful.

If there is no TAF information and you click on TAF and nothing happens, is that expected behavior or a bug? If it's expected behavior is it possible to add a message to say 'No TAF information available for this route' or something to that affect? Or, even better, display TAF information from the closest airport (I think this has already been suggested by another user).

Here are some Enhancement Requests:

Is it possible to include a Navigation Log? Not sure how difficult this is.

Also, I think it would be great if you could print out the Flight Log & Planner. And, if a Nav Log can be incorporated the ability to print that too. Be able to print by connecting the phone to the PC via USB. It would be even better if this could be done via Bluetooth. Also, the ability to save a Nav Log to PDF and/or Excel. It can then be printed from that format as well.

Oh, and emailing capability.

Keep up the great work guys. This is awesome. Best app on the Pre by far.

Mike
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    great feedback Mike - thanks. I'll have a look a the TAF issue - probably a bug on my part - I *think* it is supposed to say something like "No reported TAFs"... let me check though.

adsllc has been adding some AWESOME features to the upcoming release - this app is really developing potential. Please stay tuned for the update on homebrew - you'll want the new update for sure.

Ciao.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    love your app, but I wanted to warn you on your name. Palm posted a trademark article and the name of your app will specifically prohibited if you ever post to the store or if they want to come after you. They actually used "PreFlight" as an example of an App name NOT to use!

App Names and Trademarks and Copyrights - webOSdev - Palm
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    A new release is available. See the top of this thread, the "Homebrew Apps" section, or FileCoaster for details.

Note that you should delete any previous version of the app before adding the new one due to some database format changes.

Please give it a try and tell us what you think!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adma84 View Post
    love your app, but I wanted to warn you on your name. Palm posted a trademark article and the name of your app will specifically prohibited if you ever post to the store or if they want to come after you. They actually used "PreFlight" as an example of an App name NOT to use!

App Names and Trademarks and Copyrights - webOSdev - Palm
    Well, I guess that makes sense. I guess we get to rename it - again... Suggestions?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    can't wait, but there is no link to file on first post. only can download from sourcrforge.net right now.

i know this is geared towards private pilots, but i thought that i'd mention that i have used this several times to get quick wx updates and radar updates while in the cockpit at my work (Delta). comes in very handy, and everyone is very impressed with the doppler radar updates.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    can't wait, but there is no link to file on first post. only can download from sourcrforge.net right now.

i know this is geared towards private pilots, but i thought that i'd mention that i have used this several times to get quick wx updates and radar updates while in the cockpit at my work (Delta). comes in very handy, and everyone is very impressed with the doppler radar updates.
    To download, go to the "homebrew apps" section of this website, between "accessory store" and "forums" at the top of your screen. We are in the "Reference" category.

It is also in the "FileCoaster" list of Homebrew Apps.

It is also downloadable from the SourceForge.net site.
    How about adding NOTAM's?

Fuel Prices? (Could be a seperate app?) A plug into airnav or 100ll.com to get local fuel prices would be nice, especially if you forget to look before you leave home.

Aircraft Registration Lookup? (Could be a seperate app?) A small app that would allow you to look up the registration information for an aircraft.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrandeskc View Post
    How about adding NOTAM's?

Fuel Prices? (Could be a seperate app?) A plug into airnav or 100ll.com to get local fuel prices would be nice, especially if you forget to look before you leave home.

Aircraft Registration Lookup? (Could be a seperate app?) A small app that would allow you to look up the registration information for an aircraft.
    NOTAMs are a good idea - added to our Feature Request list.
    Fuel Prices would be nice - I sent a link to the airnav.com people so we can do it in a friendly way.
    Aircraft Reg Lookup - Awesome (and relatively easy) idea. I'm working on it now...
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrandeskc View Post
    Aircraft Registration Lookup?
    Version 0.1.6 has just been released with this and a bunch of other stuff. How's that for service?

I stuffed the lookup into the App Menu since it didn't fit anywhere else. It doesn't really fit there either...

One of these days we'll stop piling on new features and reorganize the UI - but I wouldn't hold my breath!
    The Radar doesn't work for me at all. Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    just a quick question: where is the airport data stored? i'm curious because i'm filling up my /var directory. also, is there a way to manually edit the database to add overseas/private/unlisted airports/navaids?
    Last edited by aric; 08/25/2009 at 12:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    @marcdhaynes - the radar feature requires you to download WxRad from homebrew - install that, then re-launch and it should work.

Let me know how it goes.

Ciao,

ansond
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast