Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I am getting TAFs from the 30th from some airports. ie KLAX

The next entry is current after that.

Weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Can you make this filecoaster friendly?
    Worked fine on FileCoaster.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    personally i just have the metars/tafs results bookmarked for my local area for a quick check of the weather. but looks like it could be a useful app if you can get more stuff on it like surface analysis charts, prog charts, radar, satellite, etc.
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Where is the link to the IPK in this thread?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Very odd - the ADDS dataserver is what is queried... not quite sure why it returns old data sometimes - might be a glitch in that dataserver. Maybe could pull from something like DUATS instead. I'll look into it.

Here is the link to the IPK: http://www.precentral.net/sites/prec....0.1_all_0.ipk

It should also be present in filecoaster - I was able to install it from there.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Doesn't this infringe on the naming of this homebrew app? http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...1-08-02-a.html
    I mean one is Pre-Flight and one PreFlight..
    Maybe you two guys should get together and merge the features.
    Add NOTAMs and you would have one powerful application useful to all aviation users.
    i do like the chart features, i didn't read that part earlier. good job.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Can you change the way the TAFs and METARS are sorted? It is defaulted sorted by "recent" first, but since I get TAFs form the 30th sometimes, those are first. I would like to see it sorted by the order in which I entered the airports. Then you could put a thick line between the different airports and/or maybe the ID in bold at the beginning of the set too. Personally, METAR and TAF in the same window would be cool. The older TAFs reports could be dropped. I have had a couple of issues with the METARs not loading as well.

EXAMPLE

Airport IDs? KXXX KYYY

=============
    KXXX
    METAR KXXX ........
    -----------------
    TAF KXXX .......
    =============
    KYYY
    METAR KYYY ........
    -----------------
    TAF KYYY .......
    =============
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Great little app. I suggest for anyone really needing something official and more accurate to point a browser bookmark to :

FltPlan.com Mobile

iphone yeah yeah.....

lets you file fight plans and flight plan using pre loaded performance data.

Someone suggested Jepp...goodluck with that since its subscription based. NOS plates are free though.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Id love to see radar on here - looking good keep up the good work.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    @unclegeek - interesting - I must have missed that in the homebrew apps page. I'll PM the author of that page and see if he/she is OK or wants me to change the name...

Strange, that app does not appear to be published via filecoaster - maybe that is why I missed it. Good catch though. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I'll look into ensuring that the most recent METARS and TAFS are always reported first... that's they way its supposed to work but there must be inconsistencies in the XML replies I get from ADDS... Let me see if I can fix that.

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Yeah - radar would rock - I love the WxRad app - it would be great to combine both into one tool... that would rock. I'll PM the WxRad developer and see if there is interest.

Doug
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unclegeek View Post
    Doesn't this infringe on the naming of this homebrew app? http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...1-08-02-a.html
    I mean one is Pre-Flight and one PreFlight..
    Maybe you two guys should get together and merge the features.
    I'm the "PreFlight" & WxRad developer - I just replied to ansond's PM, but I wanted to make a public statement too. I hope we can work together, but I have no problem with him keeping his current name if things don't wind up working out that way. It wasn't intentional, so it's all good!

You can be sure that I've got his app on my phone as we speak!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ansond View Post
    Yeah - radar would rock - I love the WxRad app - it would be great to combine both into one tool... that would rock. I'll PM the WxRad developer and see if there is interest.

Doug
    I am the WxRad dev...

I open to suggestions, but my instinct is to keep them separate. WxRad is good for anyone, where this app is geared for pilots. Creating two versions feels like time that could be better spent elsewhere and merging them would be tough on non-pilots.

I'd happily entertain some sort of API that lets this app start the WxRad app with a specific radar in view instead.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    @adsllc - NP regarding WxRad. WxRad does have alot of use outside the aviation world - so I tend to agree with you.

Had a thought on this - maybe my app could check whether or not WxRad is installed as well. If it is, I can put a button in the Wx section to launch WxRad from with my app.

If WxRad happens to not be installed on the Pre, I could hide that button to keep things clean.

Thoughts? BTW, I love WxRad - I've got that on my Pre - it rocks. Thanks again.

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Working on the next iteration of Pre-Flight:
    - Made the prog charts viewable in landscape mode if you choose to - makes the charts a bit easier to read.
    - looking into why the most current information from ADDS is not always at the top of the list in the XML I receive from them. I want to order the information to make the most recent data first (i.e. TAFS, etc...). Still do not have a solid answer on this one - wip.
    - I've put in some initial code to query the GPS reciever, if active, for the Pre's current location. Thought it might be neat to highlight the "nearest airport" to your current location - I could then pre-populate some of the wx fields with the airport ID as a convenience function to the query. Thoughts?
    - I've started a (very basic) "flight log" using sqllite - probably not going to have that stuff done prior to releasing the next update... but the idea is that you would have the ability to quickly record your hobbs, etc... after the flight so that you can transfer that info to your real logs later. A notepad of the sorts...

Any other ideas? Thanks again.

Doug
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Hi All:

I just pushed out v0.0.4 - here's the list of updates
    - I *think* I solved the TAF issue - it should always report the latest current TAF now
    - The tool now displays the last 2 hours of METARS for the stations you enter
    - I completely revamped the AIRMETS/SIGMETS. I now have a simple image viewer for the latest GIF from ADDS showing all AIRMETS/SIGMETS for the US-48.

Comments/Suggestions welcome. Enjoy.

Doug
    i'm not getting the ipk on this
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast