Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    custom feeds is entirely possible. We'll add that to the wish list. Google reader - I haven't checked that out yet....will do so. Thanks for the input!
    Today, I am no longer a Pre virgin, I did some homebrew and TechTray was one of the first.

Request: Can you add PC World as well?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

3.    #23  
    sure thing. Let me know what other feeds you guys want. Then, later when I get more time I can add the custom feed feature.
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 08/06/2009 at 12:31 AM.
  4.    #24  
    PC world and many other feeds added in version 0.2.7 - see first post (21 total)
    Updated thread title to no longer show version number here.

Added link in Opening Post to give download link information:

Download the latest version from the Homebrew Apps Gallery: TechtrayPre

- Craig

(Personal note: This is a great app!)
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Hey, have you considered adding reddit?

I prefer it over digg..

cheers,
    -mark
    Am I the only one who fails to see the point of a non-configurable RSS reader?
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Am I the only one who fails to see the point of a non-configurable RSS reader?
    I think of it as a stop-gap solution until we get a real rss reader.
    -m
  9.    #29  
    Ok, so the next set of features will be:

1. Reddit - easy enough
    2. Custom config - ok, should be doable.

Time is tight unfortunately due to work constraints, but I will get you the custom feed ability within the next several weeks. The desktop windows version of TechTray already offers that. In the desktop version I store the feed url's in a flatfile. I'll have to figure out how to store data in the Palm Pre platfrom (SQL?, flatfile, or cookie??)

For now adding feeds is easy enough - what other feeds do we need to add besides Reddit?
    Mentioned before but I would absolutely LOVE for you to take this idea and just make a really nice Google Reader application front end.

With Reader we can pull in all our feeds and easily subscribe to them on the fly. I have a booklet on my menu bar that I just click to subscribe to almost any page. It allows you to also keep things in folders etc... You can have say all tech related RSS feeds in one folder then click on the root folder to see all the new feeds from everything within or expand it to see specific ones.

Reader is also available from any web browser so we won't have to keep track of what feeds go where.....We can access them from the Web or the Pre.

Reader can also have feeds from podcasts and videos, all kinds of cool feeds. I have Twitter RSS feeds as well for people I want to see but not be in my main twitter app.

You can also share feeds with other people so we could load up one and share them all easily!!!!

PLEASE make a Google reader front end program. You will have one of the top apps if you did.
    There really is no better option than reader these days for RSS feeds!
    Do not forget the ability to access the features at the bottom of each feed like: like, share, share with note, email, star, send to (new option) etc...

Then you can work on a better Google News front end... ii

I may just start a new thread for this and leave you alone ii
    Let someone else tackle it <GRIN>
    Last edited by Paladin; 08/19/2009 at 02:38 PM.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Use Mojo.Depot to store your feed data. Very easy to use.
  12.    #32  
    Diomark - reddit is now added in version 0.3.9.

Paladin - the google reader sounds interesting - I will see if perhaps I can access it somehow.

Also, the much needed refresh button, cached results shown if internet not available and a few bugfixes from 0.3.8 in 0.3.9

Will turn attention now to customizing feeds by adding a feed selection menu option in the pulldown menu - that will be upcoming in 0.4.0 (ETA: Uknown).

TheMarco - thanks for the advice of where to store feed information - will look into that...
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 08/23/2009 at 10:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Holy Hannah! I don't know how I missed this app for so long, THANK YOU! I was just thinking to myself "I really wish the Pre had an RSS reader..." and here we go!

If I may be so bold: why don't you allow custom feeds? Is there already an app that does this?
  14.    #34  
    I will allow custom feeds. Just will take me a little bit longer to figure out how to code it. Shouldn't be too much longer. Finding enough time is the main problem.

Version 0.4.0 will be the custom feed release. ETA: To be updated here
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 08/24/2009 at 09:38 AM.
    I agree with Paladin, GR is all I need to access my tech-specific (and other) RSS feeds. Gone are the days of static information-based applications. I need to be able to share, like and comment on newsworthy items so that my followers can benefit (and I from their continued conversations). Since GR on the phone is not the most stable of apps, I too encourage transitioning to a front end rather than recreate another really simple really simple syndication app

That said, major kudos to you for recognizing the need for this app - even if basic - for the Pre.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Would be nice to see it pull in feeds defined in google reader if possible.
    Love the program so far. Nice job. Can't wait for the custom feed version. Need to add fox news feeds (8 feeds) so the program is "fair and balanced" lol.
  18.    #38  
    I think I might be able to pull in feeds defined in google reader. That will be a feature we will plan for version 0.5.0.
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 08/29/2009 at 11:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    I think I might be able to pull in feeds deined in google reader. That will be a feature we will plan for version 0.5.0.
    Cool. I really hope you keep the folder structure etc...
    Also if you could enable advanced features, that would icing...
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Please make a way for it to either remember what Feed we were on when closing the App the next time we load the App, or allow us the ability to delete the feeds we don't want. I want it to come up default to PreCentral news everytime, not Digg. Thanks.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast