Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 483
  1. #81  
    Great app! This should be made sticky and everyone should put their apps on this thing!
  2. imex99's Avatar
    Posts
    634 Posts
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    #82  
    Has anyone tried to download a photo off the sugarSync website that you synced from your pc? I've been trying but it just hangs....Not sure if some type of security that won't allow this or what...Any help would be appreciated.
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by imex99 View Post
    Has anyone tried to download a photo off the sugarSync website that you synced from your pc? I've been trying but it just hangs....Not sure if some type of security that won't allow this or what...Any help would be appreciated.
    The URL has to be exact - if it's not, it won't work.

    We're having problems fixing this because websites reurn a 404 error page not found, but that's not an error we can catch. They use it internally to display a page, so your Pre thinks it's waiting on a download. We're working on server side scripting to resolve this though.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  4. #84  
    Only issue that I'm having right now with this awsome app, is the fact that every time I've finished downloading something and I press the "back to" button it sends me all the way back to the first page of the category I was viewing! It's a bit annoying having to press so many time "Next 10" to get back to the page I was viewing.

    But other than that it's a great app, I know this will be dealt with in some update. Keep up the good work.
  5.    #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Niris777 View Post
    Only issue that I'm having right now with this awsome app, is the fact that every time I've finished downloading something and I press the "back to" button it sends me all the way back to the first page of the category I was viewing! It's a bit annoying having to press so many time "Next 10" to get back to the page I was viewing.

    But other than that it's a great app, I know this will be dealt with in some update. Keep up the good work.
    Ya, it annoys us too. It's our next project.
    Sorry!

    In the meantime - try and get more apps!
    It's so easy to install them from here, and the lists are updated all the time.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  6. SDash's Avatar
    Posts
    256 Posts
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    #86  
    Awesome! Glad you guys beat the others to a release.

    I do have some suggestions:
    1. I liked the idea of a report link error. I tried to preview some songs and they wouldn't stream.

    2. When I used search, I thought it would be more useful to have the top heading bar to have a search function built in like in Google Maps.

    other than that, I hope to see more!
  7.    #87  
    Rod, I have to ask - are your intentions for the better of the community or for preware?

    Aug 03 04:06:40 <thatdude> Is this legal? Pimp My Pre | Developers working to help you Pimp out your Palm Pre - User asked me to upload my app with them.
    Aug 03 04:06:58 <thatdude> Won't that kinda **** off Palm?
    Aug 03 04:18:38 <zomg> thatdude: I don't think Palm as made any claims to "you're not allowed to have a Palm Pre app site" or anything
    Aug 03 04:18:46 <zomg> though that site looks awfully amateurish and ****ty ;>
    Aug 03 04:31:19 <thatdude> zomg: agree
    Aug 03 04:34:50 <epv> wow, i slack for a few days and terminal is all different
    Aug 03 04:36:35 <X1011> zomg: the SDK terms say you're not allowed to distribute your apps outside of the Palm app catalog
    Aug 03 04:37:13 <epv> except for "testing" right?
    Aug 03 04:39:08 <rwhitby> "some random guy" in this channel some days ago said they spoke with Chuq at the Palm meetup, and Palm wasn't concerned about freeware open source app testing areas.
    Aug 03 04:39:23 <rwhitby> (the "some random guy" asked not to be quoted) Aug 03 04:39:49 <rwhitby> just don't set up a competing store
    Aug 03 04:41:41 <rwhitby> thatdude: I personally wouldn't upload to anywhere that hasn't pledged to publish an open standard-format ipkg feed (like the one at preware.org)
    Aug 03 04:55:34 <thatdude> rwhitby: Ok, thanks for the heads up.
    Aug 03 04:56:02 <rwhitby> I'm working on convincing pimpmypre.com to do just that.
    Aug 03 04:56:26 <rwhitby> I believe I've convinced PreCentral.
    Aug 03 04:58:02 <jwm> I'm going to open up my own open standard format ipkg feed
    Aug 03 04:58:06 <jwm> actually 3 of them
    Aug 03 04:59:40 <thatdude> love the content on preware.org
    Aug 03 04:59:52 <thatdude> "It works!"
    Aug 03 05:03:31 <thatdude> rwhitby: When will preware.org go live?
    Aug 03 05:03:42 <rwhitby> thatdude: preware.org is live
    Aug 03 05:03:54 <rwhitby> the installer app and submission process are in design
    Aug 03 05:04:07 <rwhitby> in the meantime, we have a git repo for submission, and ipkg command line for installer
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  8. #88  
    Great Idea, just needs a better interface and community. When you click on a category, like ringtones, I think you should be able to browse; most popular, alphabetical, etc, and also the names and descriptions should be cleaned. I hate seeing one called "awesome" and the description "must have". its annoying.
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    Rod, I have to ask - are your intentions for the better of the community or for preware?
    The homebrew and open source community.

    Can I ask what part of the IRC log caused your concern?

    I've snipped below the statements I made that I think you are referring to ... (let me know if you were referring to any other statements from that IRC log):

    Aug 03 04:41:41 <rwhitby> thatdude: I personally wouldn't upload to anywhere that hasn't pledged to publish an open standard-format ipkg feed (like the one at preware.org)
    Aug 03 04:55:34 <thatdude> rwhitby: Ok, thanks for the heads up.
    Aug 03 04:56:02 <rwhitby> I'm working on convincing pimpmypre.com to do just that.
    Aug 03 04:56:26 <rwhitby> I believe I've convinced PreCentral.
    I stand by my recommendation that application authors only upload to repositories that have pledged to publish an open standard-format ipkg feed.

    At the moment, preware.org is the only such feed. I'm hoping that all the other groups that are setting up feeds (such as yourself, and one other group that will be announcing within 24 hours I believe) will publish a standard ipkg feed format as well.

    Until they do, I can't recommend that people upload to them - authors should choose repositories that have open interoperable feed metadata.

    It should (in an ideal world) be the case that an author can choose to upload their app to *any* of the three or more non-Palm application repositories, and their app should be accessible there from *any* of the command line or GUI installers. That's the ideal that I am driving towards.

    I don't believe in application repository owners trying to "hoarde" applications on their site. All applications that are currently in preware.org are freely redistributable, so any other app repository can mirror them and make them part of their own app collection. I think all application repositories should operate that way as well. Application repositories and GUI installers should compete on their features, not on the set of applications that they have. The applications should always be as accessible as possible for all users.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  10.    #90  
    We agree that standradization is good and, like we did for the iPhone, it makes repositories interopable.

    BUT, as we saw with the iPhone, people tend to put their personal interests first. You obviously have seen this with the Pre and know it happens, and will continue to happen.

    If there is no personal stake you have in preware, and your intentions are only for the community to have a standard by which repositories can share data, then yes, we're good with that.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    We agree that standradization is good and, like we did for the iPhone, it makes repositories interopable.

    BUT, as we saw with the iPhone, people tend to put their personal interests first. You obviously have seen this with the Pre and know it happens, and will continue to happen.

    If there is no personal stake you have in preware, and your intentions are only for the community to have a standard by which repositories can share data, then yes, we're good with that.
    That is the case. I have intentionally set up preware.org so that any application or metadata that it holds will be available to any other person to replicate on another site if they so choose.

    We are even going as far as putting the custom Drupal module we have written to automatically create the Packages file into a public git repository where and with a license such that it can be used by any other site.

    Apologies if I hadn't made that clear before and if the IRC log caused you to think otherwise without the context of the discussions over many days in IRC about this concept of open and interoperable feed repository metadata.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

    It should (in an ideal world) be the case that an author can choose to upload their app to *any* of the three or more non-Palm application repositories, and their app should be accessible there from *any* of the command line or GUI installers. That's the ideal that I am driving towards.
    I agree with that. I don't want to have to download all 3 (or more as time goes on) of the installers to find all of the apps out there. Also, I could see that ending up bad for all of the developers, as people will get tired of the complications of searching through all of these different installers..it will just get confusing!

    Also, this installer app is sick, and a great idea. And pimpmypre is an awesome name.
  13.    #93  
    OK, so you own preware.

    I emailed you separately from this as to what our concerns were.

    One question here though - is preware planning to produce an app similar to PreLoad?

    We agree that it would be great for repositories to have standardization to allow inclusion easily, but we can all code. We could include anyone with little work.

    And @jateelover - THANKS!
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  14. #94  
    i believe preload is a very well made application and it would be wonderful to have a standard where a lot of the homebrew apps are stored and able to be downloaded OTA. would love to see preload get access to some of the other apps. perhaps we can see a collaboration between pimpmypre and webosinternals (pregame) to make the best of homebrew.
    Last edited by jack87; 08/03/2009 at 02:53 AM.
    MatterOfFactJack
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    OK, so you own preware.

    I emailed you separately from this as to what our concerns were.
    Thanks for that. I hope I addressed all your concerns with my reply.

    One question here though - is preware planning to produce an app similar to PreLoad?
    We are developing the design of such an application in a public and transparent way at Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

    The initial code (and we're focusing on the design before we start any real coding) is at installer in WebOS Applications - Gitorious

    The Drupal module that we're developing for the submission website is at drupal-feed-module in WebOS Internals - Gitorious and the website code is at drupal-preware-website in WebOS Internals - Gitorious

    The development of all this is open source from day one, and we welcome any developer who is serious in creating an open, standards-based, non-commercial, place for people to manage applications throughout the complete application lifecycle.

    Development discussion happens in the #webos-internals IRC channel, which is publicly logged and archived.

    I think you'll agree that we're being about as open and transparent as is humanly possible.

    We agree that it would be great for repositories to have standardization to allow inclusion easily, but we can all code. We could include anyone with little work.
    But the thing is that you didn't run all this as open development from day one ... you did it in secret like all the other groups.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16.    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    But the thing is that you didn't run all this as open development from day one ... you did it in secret like all the other groups.

    -- Rod
    Please, read our posts from when we first started our site and you would see that from then, until now, we have always stated that we would produce this app. We also put out ads for developers, asked for community involvement and even shared what we found. That's why when you google Palm Pre Repository we come as #1 - it was ALWAYS our intention.

    We didn't do anything in secret.

    Nobody paid any attention or believed us.

    Let us know if you need any help with your app.
    We have been through many bugs and fixes and have experience to share.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    Please, read our posts from when we first started our site and you would see that from then, until now, we have always stated that we would produce this app. We also put out ads for developers, asked for community involvement and even shared what we found. That's why when you google Palm Pre Repository we come as #1 - it was ALWAYS our intention.

    We didn't do anything in secret.

    Nobody paid any attention or believed us.

    Let us know if you need any help with your app.
    We have been through many bugs and fixes and have experience to share.
    Oh, I remember seeing you asking for people to help develop the app, but the development itself was not open for the public to see the progress and comment on it as you went. That's the type of open source development project I'm talking about (and trying to do with preware.org) - such truly open development seems to be common in the Linux community (take the Linux kernel for example), but not so common in the mobile application development community.

    Everyone seems to be focused on being the first to do something to get the most attention from the users. I'm more focused on preware.org (and anyone else who listens) doing it correctly for the developers and users for the long run. That's why I give what I hope people see as constructive comments to each repository or installer app as they come out of their closed development cycle (or during their closed development cycle if they invite me to participate). I don't care who gets there first - I care that the users and application developers don't get locked into an inferior solution that just happened to be first (and yes, I consider all solutions that don't use the standard ipkg feed format to be inferior in the long run, since they don't build on the almost 10 years of embedded package management embodied in the ipkg tool).

    The best way to help the preware app at the moment is to comment on the wiki discussion page. We want to get the application design right first, and get *lots* of developer input, *before* coding starts.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Oh, I remember seeing you asking for people to help develop the app, but the development itself was not open for the public to see the progress and comment on it as you went. That's the type of open source development project I'm talking about (and trying to do with preware.org) - such truly open development seems to be common in the Linux community (take the Linux kernel for example), but not so common in the mobile application development community.
    Exactly - we learned that lesson with Cydia versus our app Kryptes.

    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Everyone seems to be focused on being the first to do something to get the most attention from the users. I'm more focused on preware.org (and anyone else who listens) doing it correctly for the developers and users for the long run. That's why I give what I hope people see as constructive comments to each repository or installer app as they come out of their closed development cycle (or during their closed development cycle if they invite me to participate). I don't care who gets there first - I care that the users and application developers don't get locked into an inferior solution that just happened to be first (and yes, I consider all solutions that don't use the standard ipkg feed format to be inferior in the long run, since they don't build on the almost 10 years of embedded package management embodied in the ipkg tool).

    The best way to help the preware app at the moment is to comment on the wiki discussion page. We want to get the application design right first, and get *lots* of developer input, *before* coding starts.

    -- Rod
    If you saw it THEN (back in February when we started the site) why not chime in? We're just 3 guys trying to produce an app! We did it! I say Hooray for us!

    Now that we are aware of YOU (which we weren't before, even though you were of us) we have said we are more than willing to work with you. Our ignorance of what you were doing is not intentional! We never knew you existed! I guess nobody ever tells us anything until after we've done it.

    And being the first to do something *is* a little self serving, but damn it feels good. Especially when you're off doing it on your own, after asking for help and not receiving any word from anyone.

    We produced the first app to change sounds and now this. OTA updates, direct downloads of files with previews, install capability .... you know what I mean. All with 3 guys in their spare time with no idea anyone else wanted to do what you're doing. Nobody paid us any mind - until we put this out.

    I have to admit - I like you Rod (yes, I'm man enough to say that in a public forum).
    I think we'll work well together.

    But I'm going to give me and my buddies a big "hell ya" for what we did without any help from anyone else. Yes, it's selfish - but we did it first - on our own, no corporate backing and in our free time (which I have 6 kids - I'm not lying - so that's not much).

    Now lets get to work and get all these repositories combined.
    I will never say no to adding things to ours.
    There are only so many apps and files 3 guys can produce on their own.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  19. #99  
    Hehe I fallowed you guys as well as webos internals. But I lack the dev skills to have been any help. I am a damn fast learner and able to support others as needed as well as provide somewhat valuable (I hope) input.

    So very excited to see a colaboration of multiple devs producing a combonation of repositories working together. But I have to say I love the fact that all three apps were being developed sepreatly. This allows for multiple different ideas to be tested at he same time rather then having one linear focus and not exploring different stratagies to finding out what works best. In this type of separation it helps find strenghts and weaknesses in each stratagy then with colaboration allowing everyone to make the best of all in one.

    Ps mitch:
    Congratulations to being the first to release home brew app catalog. Althoguh I think pregame released his new version of file coaster to the private beta testers at almost the same time.
    Last edited by jack87; 08/03/2009 at 04:07 AM.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    If you saw it THEN (back in February when we started the site) why not chime in? We're just 3 guys trying to produce an app! We did it! I say Hooray for us!
    I was too busy getting a webos-internals community bootstrapped back then :-)

    Now that we are aware of YOU (which we weren't before, even though you were of us) we have said we are more than willing to work with you. Our ignorance of what you were doing is not intentional! We never knew you existed! I guess nobody ever tells us anything until after we've done it.
    It is true that most of what webos-internals does is on the IRC channel. If you're not looking there it is easy to miss us :-)

    And being the first to do something *is* a little self serving, but damn it feels good. Especially when you're off doing it on your own, after asking for help and not receiving any word from anyone.

    We produced the first app to change sounds and now this. OTA updates, direct downloads of files with previews, install capability .... you know what I mean. All with 3 guys in their spare time with no idea anyone else wanted to do what you're doing. Nobody paid us any mind - until we put this out.
    Yep, congrats on that. Imagine how much better it could have been (or how much earlier it could have been released) if the development process had been in the open all the way through

    I have to admit - I like you Rod (yes, I'm man enough to say that in a public forum).
    I think we'll work well together.
    I truly hope we will. I hope you will give the same robust constructive criticism to the preware plans that I have given you

    But I'm going to give me and my buddies a big "hell ya" for what we did without any help from anyone else. Yes, it's selfish - but we did it first - on our own, no corporate backing and in our free time (which I have 6 kids - I'm not lying - so that's not much).
    Yep, only two kids here - so I know exactly what you're saying. That's why I make sure that I personally don't have to do much work by making the development process completely open.

    Now lets get to work and get all these repositories combined.
    I will never say no to adding things to ours.
    There are only so many apps and files 3 guys can produce on their own.
    I say let's keep the repositories separate, but let's all agree on common metadata formats, and pledge to allow any repository to mirror any information (like reviews, comments, ratings, etc) from one repository to another "competing" repository. Then people can compete on the value-add that the website provides to the developer, rather than trying to hoarde the most applications or get the most eyeballs on the site.

    Oh, and make sure that all app installers can install anything from any repository.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions