Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    i dont understand why the update keeps failing for me..says Now installing Application...Failed!

ugh. i love the app but i keep getting issues! this is only app thats ever givin me problems..i tried on WiFi and EVDO, and it downloads just fine but doesnt install. I also remounted to rw and it still didnt work (just tried that to make sure).
    can u just post the new updated package? I reinstalled the app to and update wont work still.
    List button please? I don't wanna have to search
    EDIT: the next 10 button was just laggy, but yeah, more than 10 things at a time please?
    Wow! This is great! My only complaint right now is the lack of categories inside each main category (ie rap, country, jokes w/e) but more than that, the "back to____" doesn't send ou back to the page you were at, rather it sends you to the first page of each category. If you can get that fixed then we'll have a solid app store
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xyther4523 View Post
    i dont understand why the update keeps failing for me..says Now installing Application...Failed!
    Apps will fail to install if you are near or have exceeded the max number of apps or max byte count in the app partition.

Apps from the Palm Catalog will trigger the error in the attached screenie when this condition is met.

Homebrew will either not install, give a failled error or perpetual say it's "Downloading", depending on the method you're using to install.

Having said that, remove a couple and see if you can install the one you want.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hello...

Thank you, I am trying the app now, and was running inti intermittent errors when I click on the blue link to "Preview" a ringtone:

The app opens up a streaming music windo, but then gives me an error message saying that it couldn't play the tune.

Appears to be working again though now, just fine.

Thanks for all your efforts to Pimp our Pres!!! Looks like it might be kind of a community thing also, given trhe user-based upload and basic messageboard function.

Thanks!
    Wow I was waiting for a App like this! Great work man, I will install later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anashti View Post
    Apps will fail to install if you are near or have exceeded the max number of apps or max byte count in the app partition.

Apps from the Palm Catalog will trigger the error in the attached screenie when this condition is met.

Homebrew will either not install, give a failled error or perpetual say it's "Downloading", depending on the method you're using to install.

Having said that, remove a couple and see if you can install the one you want.

im not full on space, i can install more apps (i have since then) but still get the same error. Yah im aware of the limit of apps, but ive isntalled apps, and removed apps just incase. Still wont work I just deleted about 5 apps, and then tried to download an app thru PreLoad and that wouldnt install either. I just installed a random app (not thru preload, using ipkg -o /var install APPHERE) and that worked perfectly.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    How would you return to the list after preview, without starting at the top of the list?
  9.    #69  
    Right now we're working on the moving back and forth between the lists and going to the top of the page. We're also adding small previews of the wallpapers to the main lists.
    Those are first.

Not sure when that update will be out, but it'll go to your Pre.

Thanks or all the suggestions and keep them coming! It's also really cool to see people using the messageboard!

We still have to ask the other developers if they'll put their apps on - so if any of you know them can you ask too?

They can reach the maximum number of people by using both PreLoad and websites.

As for the one person that can't install apps (sorry, I can't see names in thsi view and my memory sucks) - had you rooted previously? Changed files? I'd use the WebOS Doctor and clean up your Pre then reload the apps without rooting or changing the system file structure.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  10.    #70  
    By the way - the link to upload, if you do share it with your developer friends, is

Pimp My Pre Uploader/repo
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    Free, free, free. We will not charge, ever, for the service. Open source (you've opened it already right?). We have no intentions of making it a commercial app. It is for developers to use to test their apps. When they want to go into the app catalog, they can remove it. We have a donation spot at the top of our site, because the servers to host this stuff cost $ and we're not some big corporation.
    Excellent. Those are all the right answers from my point of view

Which open source license are you using? GPL? MIT?

Standard. Upload an app - it'll work.
    I was actually referring to the package repository *feed* format, not the package format. Take a look at Index of /feeds/preware/all for an example of a standard package feed (note the Packages metadata file - this is the format that the built-in ipkg command uses) - we're trying to get all installers to support multiple feeds of that type, and we're trying to get all app repositories to publish their feeds in that format (as a minimum). Only when standard feed formats are published and consumed will we get the best interoperability and the best exposure of the applications across all installers for all users.

Any applications, with limits. Apps must be approved before they go out to the community. We install them on our OWN PHONES for you. We also look at the code just to make sure there's nothing nasty in there. Lastly, we research it to see if it has already been posted and what people are saying. No commercial applications. Apps must be submitted by the developer.
    That's a good approach - no commercial applications means that Palm won't be concerned about you taking a cut of their revenue :-)

One suggestion I would have is to make sure that the developers clearly describe the licensing of their application when they submit it, and have that information displayed for the user.

We'll change the name when/if that happens.
    Fair enough. What some other authors have done is use (for example) com.palm.pimpmypre.repomanager (if they *must* use com.palm to get access to the private dbus services), to ensure there will be no naming collision in the future, and to make sure that Palm does not get concerned about someone else using their immediate com.palm.* namespace.

We were under the assumption the library was open. In light of this we are now replacing it with our own. If you have the app you should see an update pushed to your phone later today or tomorrow.
    Thanks for taking action on this point immediately - replacing it with an open source implementation is the safest thing to do. We don't want Palm to have to react against the whole homebrew community due to copyright infringment.

Thanks Rod - we've worked really hard to try and make something that makes everyone's lives easier. We hope you enjoy it.
    My suggestions for making it even better would be to support the standard ipkg feed format, and to allow the users to configure the application with other standard ipkg feeds using the standard Packages file metadata format (since it's clear now that there will be more than one homebrew application repository).

Thanks for your swift and considered answers to my questions.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Maybe the ringtones should be downloaded to the ringtone folder and same with the wallpapers, kinda defeats the purpose to download into a different folder, cuz then I have to manually move them in the computer.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by diyeiogt View Post
    Maybe the ringtones should be downloaded to the ringtone folder and same with the wallpapers, kinda defeats the purpose to download into a different folder, cuz then I have to manually move them in the computer.
    If they're in the standard folder and you go over 50, they won't show in the list. Just click the + sign on your ringtone list and you'll see them.
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Which open source license are you using? GPL? MIT?

I was actually referring to the package repository *feed* format, not the package format. Take a look at Index of /feeds/preware/all for an example of a standard package feed (note the Packages metadata file - this is the format that the built-in ipkg command uses) - we're trying to get all installers to support multiple feeds of that type, and we're trying to get all app repositories to publish their feeds in that format (as a minimum). Only when standard feed formats are published and consumed will we get the best interoperability and the best exposure of the applications across all installers for all users.
    -- Rod
    Honestly? We hadn't thought about it yet. (licensing)
    I'll talk to my 2 friends and see what they really want. It will definitely always be free, but we wouldn't like someone using the code and repackaging it as their own app.

Also, we weren't aware there was another app like this. We know of filecoaster, but you could only punch in url's and the wallpapers wouldn't show. Is there another app that does this?

We also weren't aware of the sandardization of feeds. Great idea. We'll get together and look it over.

Thanks!
    Honestly? We hadn't thought about it yet. (licensing)
    I'll talk to my 2 friends and see what they really want. It will definitely always be free, but we wouldn't like someone using the code and repackaging it as their own app.
    If you use the GPL, then anyone using your code will also need to make their application GPL, and then you can just incorporate any improvements they make back into your own application. This is the best outcome for the community ...

Also, we weren't aware there was another app like this. We know of filecoaster, but you could only punch in url's and the wallpapers wouldn't show. Is there another app that does this?
    There are at least four groups of people working on GUI installers that work with a package repository. The trouble is that all of them (except the webos-internals group - see Application:Preware - WebOS Internals for those plans) are keeping their plans secret at the moment.

We also weren't aware of the sandardization of feeds. Great idea. We'll get together and look it over.
    I'd be glad to help you with this. I'm currently working with the WebOS Quick Install author to help him have his application be able to install ipkgs like Terminal that require files to be installed outside of /var or for other commands to be run as root after installation. I'd like to work with all GUI app installer development groups to make sure that they are all interoperable and can all access each other's feeds, as well as to make sure that the built-in command line ipkg tool can access those feeds to (so we can then do amazing things by scripting access to the feeds in the Linux command line).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    The latest version of FileCoaster (the new beta) includes a basic app catalog like Preload. Competition is always a good thing through!
    Quote Originally Posted by isaiahdw View Post
    The latest version of FileCoaster (the new beta) includes a basic app catalog like Preload. Competition is always a good thing through!
    Is that a public beta, or is it "donate-to-get-the-beta-release"-ware?

-- Rod
  18.    #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Is that a public beta, or is it "donate-to-get-the-beta-release"-ware?

-- Rod
    If it's "donate to get" I'd be careful. Palm has stated in the licensing that they will go after missed proceeds ($) for anyone producing an app in competition with their app catalog.

We have a donate button on our site, but we don't require donations.

Rod,
    I'd like to definitely talk to you more about feeds and licensing. If you email support@pimpmypre.com you'll get through to all 3 of us. We had hoped to incorporate more repositories into PreLoad - maybe you have ideas on who to contact?

Thanks,
    Mitch
    If it's "donate to get" I'd be careful. Palm has stated in the licensing that they will go after missed proceeds ($) for anyone producing an app in competition with their app catalog.

We have a donate button on our site, but we don't require donations.

Rod,
    I'd like to definitely talk to you more about feeds and licensing. If you email support@pimpmypre.com you'll get through to all 3 of us. We had hoped to incorporate more repositories into PreLoad - maybe you have ideas on who to contact?

Thanks,
    Mitch
    I've contacted Mitch privately.

As far as details of other repositories, I know of a few, but only one of them (preware.org) is public. A couple of others are near completion, but I cannot break the trust of those who I'm working with who want to keep the details secret until they release. I try to convince them to be more open, but respect their choice to not be open before they are ready to announce.

-- Rod
    Good app. Unrelated, but has anyone hacked the pre to allow for more apps yet?
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast