Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    It'd be very nice if the categories had categories aswell. (ex. Wallpapers: Abstract, Animals, Flowers, Movies, etc.)
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Looks pretty AWESOME! I'm installing it now through file coaster
    i download pre load witht the new file coster and it says installed but nothing shows up on the launcher
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Works great! Can't wait to see everything else!

Gaga
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    This application is like a homebrew app store. It is called PreLoad.
    A couple of questions about PreLoad:

1) I couldn't find in this thread where you have stated the licensing of your application. Is it open or closed source? Is it freeware? If so, will it remain freeware for ever or do you intend to make it a commercial app in the future? Will there always be a fully-featured freeware version which can access your feed, or will people be forced to pay for the application in the future to continue accessing the feed?

2) Does your application repository follow the standard ipkg feed format, or are you using a proprietary feed format to lock your application and the feed together?

3) What types of applications are you accepting? Are you accepting applications that contain binary files, and if so how are you ensuring that they do not contain trojans? Are you accepting commercial applications? What are the redistribution conditions for applications in your feed?

4) Do you have permission from Palm to use the com.palm.repomanager appid? What will happen if Palm decide to release an application called repomanager in their next webOS OTA update? Won't your naming conflict with Palm's in that circumstance?

5) Do you have permission from Palm to redistribute the weave javascript files that you have included in your application? Please correct me if I am wrong, but these seem to be a direct copy of the Palm files from the Pre (which are by default copyright by Palm, and the license for which specifically prohibits redistribution).

Congrats on the app, I look forward to the answers to the questions above.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 08/02/2009 at 02:52 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    This is a great app!! I have been using it to download music OTA using the fileURL option... Works great
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    oh my....... that's 5 buckets of water on that fire...
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    So it looks like File Coaster has some competition as I believe the developer for that app is also releasing a repo style installer soon.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I was not a Beta Tester, just a Pimp my Pre follower. As soon as I got up this morning I saw the email about Pre-Load being ready for download.

Let me say this: You folks have created a 5 Star application - the instructions were spot on, and the installation was easy.

I have already downloaded your other great new app, PimpMySounds and am now FINALLY able to do what the geniuses at Palm didn't think necessary - have MY choice of sounds instead of what Palm engineers think is best for me. Kind of like the difference between freedom of healthcare choice and Government run healthcare, but I digress

KUDOS for a job well done!!!!!
    very smooth and easy to use. Can't wait to see some homebrew in that catalog (besides PMP cuz i have that already)
    SCK Manager
    Sick app!!! Reminds me of Cydia.
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    This app is sick I was able to download it with filecoster and the downloaded dgcut app with this and it worked great thank you for this
    What's the diff between PMP and MY notifications?
    Can you reconsider the name? Homebrew sounds more grass roots than "pimping"...
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    This is very cool.. nice job!! Only bummer is I have over 500 mp3s on my Pre and when I download a ringtone, I have to go find it to import into ringtones.. is there any way that "installing" a ringtone actually installs it as a ringtone and not just download it as an mp3?
  16. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    This seems like the next big step in the homebrew scene! Though I do agree that a nicer name than Pimp would be welcome. Let's get all our precentral homebrews up and we can forget about Palm's super lame App Catalog!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A couple of questions about PreLoad:

1) I couldn't find in this thread where you have stated the licensing of your application. Is it open or closed source? Is it freeware? If so, will it remain freeware for ever or do you intend to make it a commercial app in the future? Will there always be a fully-featured freeware version which can access your feed, or will people be forced to pay for the application in the future to continue accessing the feed?
    Free, free, free. We will not charge, ever, for the service. Open source (you've opened it already right?). We have no intentions of making it a commercial app. It is for developers to use to test their apps. When they want to go into the app catalog, they can remove it. We have a donation spot at the top of our site, because the servers to host this stuff cost $ and we're not some big corporation.

2) Does your application repository follow the standard ipkg feed format, or are you using a proprietary feed format to lock your application and the feed together?
    Standard. Upload an app - it'll work.

3) What types of applications are you accepting? Are you accepting applications that contain binary files, and if so how are you ensuring that they do not contain trojans? Are you accepting commercial applications? What are the redistribution conditions for applications in your feed?
    Any applications, with limits. Apps must be approved before they go out to the community. We install them on our OWN PHONES for you. We also look at the code just to make sure there's nothing nasty in there. Lastly, we research it to see if it has already been posted and what people are saying. No commercial applications. Apps must be submitted by the developer.

4) Do you have permission from Palm to use the com.palm.repomanager appid? What will happen if Palm decide to release an application called repomanager in their next webOS OTA update? Won't your naming conflict with Palm's in that circumstance?
    We'll change the name when/if that happens.

5) Do you have permission from Palm to redistribute the weave javascript files that you have included in your application? Please correct me if I am wrong, but these seem to be a direct copy of the Palm files from the Pre (which are by default copyright by Palm, and the license for which specifically prohibits redistribution).
    We were under the assumption the library was open. In light of this we are now replacing it with our own. If you have the app you should see an update pushed to your phone later today or tomorrow.

Congrats on the app, I look forward to the answers to the questions above.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod - we've worked really hard to try and make something that makes everyone's lives easier. We hope you enjoy it.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorrocket View Post
    Can you reconsider the name? Homebrew sounds more grass roots than "pimping"...
    I did not download your other ring tone app due to the name. PreLoad looks great but I would also suggest removing the Pimp My Pre moniker.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by tuz View Post
    This seems like the next big step in the homebrew scene! Though I do agree that a nicer name than Pimp would be welcome. Let's get all our precentral homebrews up and we can forget about Palm's super lame App Catalog!
    Thanks! We hope everyone enjoys it.

The only time you would have to see Pimp My Pre is by going to the site to upload something.
    We're already hosting a site, a repository and producing apps for nothing. If people can't get past the name, then that just seems very silly to me.

The app is PreLoad and people don't even ned to go to our site to download it. We left out any "pimp" name for that reason.

Sorry but we were late in the game when it came to buying Pre related domains. We're 3 guys - not some big corporation. Maybe we'll switch at some point, but we do have a following over there.
    Last edited by pimpmypre; 08/02/2009 at 10:57 AM.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I don't get it whats wrong with the name. I guess you can' t please everyone.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast