Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa@smkcpa.com View Post
    When you run Preware, click on the "Patches" button
    there is not a patches button...?
    you have to root your pre to run preware?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    you have to root your pre to run preware?
    nope u can install it thru webOS quick installer
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    nope u can install it thru webOS quick installer

and only through quick install?

cant via filecoaster?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.

cant via filecoaster?
    no bc Preware needs a specific service to run... it needs package manager service
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Your PreWare screen should look like this - then just click on available patches::

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals[/QUOTE]
    Steve

cant via filecoaster?
    Preware and the Package Manager Service (and other things like the Virtual Keyboard, and Terminal) are what is known as "Advanced Homebrew".

Advanced Homebrew can only be installed using WebOS Quick Install or Preware. You'll notice that there is a chicken and egg problem which means that Preware has to be installed for the very first time using WebOS Quick Install.

The Package Manager Service is available for any open source application to use to be able to support Advanced Homebrew installation. PreLoad is open source, so is very welcome to use the Package Manager Service.

Unfortunately, fileCoaster is closed source, and allowing closed source programs to use the Package Manager Service to install Advanced Homebrew would be a security risk (since you can't review the source code to make sure it is doing things properly) - that's why we don't allow closed source programs to use the Package Manager Service. If the fileCoaster author were to release it as open source, it too would be able to use the Package Manager Service to install Advanced Homebrew.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Preware and the Package Manager Service (and other things like the Virtual Keyboard, and Terminal) are what is known as "Advanced Homebrew".

Advanced Homebrew can only be installed using WebOS Quick Install or Preware. You'll notice that there is a chicken and egg problem which means that Preware has to be installed for the very first time using WebOS Quick Install.

The Package Manager Service is available for any open source application to use to be able to support Advanced Homebrew installation. PreLoad is open source, so is very welcome to use the Package Manager Service.

Unfortunately, fileCoaster is closed source, and allowing closed source programs to use the Package Manager Service to install Advanced Homebrew would be a security risk (since you can't review the source code to make sure it is doing things properly) - that's why we don't allow closed source programs to use the Package Manager Service. If the fileCoaster author were to release it as open source, it too would be able to use the Package Manager Service to install Advanced Homebrew.

-- Rod
    hey rod explain to me how preware can install apps with ease even if the limit is 50 or 60 i already forgot?
    hey rod explain to me how preware can install apps with ease even if the limit is 50 or 60 i already forgot?
    The Package Manager Service uses the fundamental ipkg tool which Palm pre-installs on the Pre for management of the ipkg database.

Palm also has an installation service on the Pre (which the official App Catalog and fileCoaster use - I think PreLoad might use it too), which seems to have built-in limitations on either the number of apps which can be installed, or the amount of free space which must be available to allow an application to be installed.

Preware's Package Manager Service uses the built-in safeguards in the ipkg tool to make sure that there is enough space to install the package, and does not impose any other limitations.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Package Manager Service uses the fundamental ipkg tool which Palm pre-installs on the Pre for management of the ipkg database.

Palm also has an installation service on the Pre (which the official App Catalog and fileCoaster use - I think PreLoad might use it too), which seems to have built-in limitations on either the number of apps which can be installed, or the amount of free space which must be available to allow an application to be installed.

Preware's Package Manager Service uses the built-in safeguards in the ipkg tool to make sure that there is enough space to install the package, and does not impose any other limitations.

-- Rod
    so ur saying there's no limits, well of the space that the pre holds from the 8gb
    so ur saying there's no limits, well of the space that the pre holds from the 8gb
    Palm has separated the /media/install partition (which is allocated most of the 8GB of flash) from the /var/usr/palm/applications area (which is where apps are installed).

Preware will install up to the palm-dictated limits on the /var filesystem partition, which is *much* less than 8GB.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by smkcpa View Post
    To all PMP users - there seems to be a lot of confusion on the PreLoad message board about how to install virtual keyboard. Since the instructions will take to long to type directly on the message board from my phone, I am placing them here:

Virtual Keyboard Installation - NO ROOTING REQUIRED

1- Turn on DevMode on your Pre
    2- Connect your Pre to your PC and select “Just Charge”
    3- On your PC, run WebOsQuickInstall V2.02 and install Package Manager Service
    4- Then install PreWare
    5- Turn off DevMode on your Pre
    6- On your Pre, run the newly installed PreWare and download Virtual Keyboard Patch

Complete Step by step instructions with screen shots are here:
    http://www.precentral.net/screen-vir...o-mere-mortals
    webOS also gives you the option to use 19 great patches - so many things we have begged for. It would seem there may be many more coming. webOS works from your PC and tells you when any of your apps have updates.

Here are the WebOsQuickInstall tweak options as of 2.02:

1. 2.01 - Boot Logo Themes
    2. 2.01 - Browser: Downloading Files
    3. 2.01 - Clock: Enabling the Hidden Theme
    4. 2.01 - Launcher: Add/Delete Pages
    5. 2.01 - Launcher: Allows More Icons Per Row
    6. 2.01 - Launcher: Hide/Delete The NASCAR App
    7. 2.01 - Launcher: Hide/Delete The NFL App
    8. 2.01 - PDF Viewer: Allow Landscape Mode
    9. 2.01 - Phone: Edit Dialer Theme
    10. 2.01 - Squarify the screen
    11. 2.02 - Extend Minimum Brightness Setting
    12. 2.02 - Email: Allow Landscape mode
    13. 2.02 - Messaging: Forward Messages
    14. 2.02 - Phone: Disable Various Call Sounds
    15. 2.02 - Phone: Show Call Duration in the Call Log
    16. 2.02 - Unlock: Bypass the Passcode Entry Screen
    17. 2.02 - Roam Control
    18. 2.02 - Show Actual Battery Percentage

Preware is the open source app that runs on your Pre that lets you also see what apps have updates and make the downloads when you are mobile.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 08/29/2009 at 09:08 PM.
  13.    #333  
    I don't like installing rooted apps and app "extenders". With an update from Palm, it could all go haywire.

We're working on a way for you to install unlimited apps without having to root your phone or install new objects, keeping it all within Palm's framework and no problems with Palm updates.

We'll have a new release of Preload coming out today too.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Question? Do you have to have Preload installed in order to use Preware and the Package Manager Service?
  15.    #335  
    Quote Originally Posted by geneziz View Post
    Question? Do you have to have Preload installed in order to use Preware and the Package Manager Service?
    No - Preware uses the package manageer service and is a different app altogether than PreLoad.
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
  16.    #336  
    PreLoad has been updated to version 2.0

It is available here
    Web OS Group PreLoad

I can't post the ipk anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    I don't like installing rooted apps and app "extenders". With an update from Palm, it could all go haywire.

We're working on a way for you to install unlimited apps without having to root your phone or install new objects, keeping it all within Palm's framework and no problems with Palm updates.

We'll have a new release of Preload coming out today too.
    But this is the beauty of these patches. At least when you use quilt to patch, sure they may be messed up by an update, but you can just remove the patches or repatch those files. I really don't think it will be a problem, but we shall see.
    Palm Pilot m100 --> Alltel Razr V3c --> Alltel HTC PPC6800(Mogul) --> Alltel HTC Touch Pro --> Alltel Rokr Z6M --> Alltel Palm Pre

Speed at 70Mph using MyTether using Alltel Hybrid Rev A
    http://i30.tinypic.com/2iu733d.jpg
  18.    #338  
    Quote Originally Posted by adactuslatem View Post
    But this is the beauty of these patches. At least when you use quilt to patch, sure they may be messed up by an update, but you can just remove the patches or repatch those files. I really don't think it will be a problem, but we shall see.
    Bypassing the security protocols and altering the framework and/or the standard manufacturers applications that they can update at any time - sure, it sounds easy to just re-patch but that's a big risk.

Also, everything that is done with these patches can be done without doing all of that. It just takes developers time to figure out how.

I wouldn't open up my PC or Web Site's roots to people - why do it with my phone that has all of my contact and important information in it? And void my user agreement?
  19.    #339  
    Why is Preware sticky and not PreLoad?
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    Why is Preware sticky and not PreLoad?
    Good question - in my opinion both should be sticky.

-- Rod