Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    It's unlikely you will find NIV or NLT in a "FREE" Bible App unless... The data is stored on a server somewhere and only pushed to you in little pieces at a time. This is true of many of the more popular translations. So, there are only two directions for us to go if we want to include those texts in our reader.
    1. Make them a seperate module you have to purchase
    2. Make them avliable by downloading small chunks at a time. (Would require an active internet connection)
    I'm almost positive that the NIV is copyrighted.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm almost positive that the NIV is copyrighted.
    Yes, it is.
  3.    #103  
    just in time for the end of the day of predevcamp, frankos72 and i have made several enhancements to the simple bible and wanted to share. unfortunately, we are having trouble with the homebrew app gallery at the moment, so the latest version will be posted soon, v0.8.9!

updates:
    • when you leave the app, it remembers which testament you were last in
    • book switching changed to a book selector popup menu
    • chapter switching changed to a chapter selector popup menu
    • orientation aware
    • in the book scene, tap the screen to hide/show the command buttons (aka. full screen reading)
    • gnu gpl v3 license
    • new icon

missing feature:
    • font size preference
    • additional preferences (like colors and remember the last place in a book)
    • possible incorporation of a slider
    • possible way to compress the books to make the app smaller

known issues:
    • when notifications show up, the screen does not perfectly auto-size
    • after clicking the book or chapter selector, if you use the back gesture the menu and app will freeze in place
    Frankos72 and Stickywhipit, you guys are the best!
    Great work! One bug I'm seeing is that when a book is open, and I click the book selector on the bottom left, you can click a book and it opens. However, you can't close the selector if you change your mind about staying on that book. If you do click outside the selector, it freezes and will try to select a book but doesn't. You have to close and restart the app.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I'd be willing to donate to get additional translations on here
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I've noticed that if you do anything else but select a book from the book selector it will freeze. For example, if you try to select outside the book selector window (to close it, for example) it will freeze.
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I've noticed that if you do anything else but select a book from the book selector it will freeze. For example, if you try to select outside the book selector window (to close it, for example) it will freeze.
    That was my comment from 4 1/2 hours ago.
    Any possiblity of adding a search feature?
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
    That was my comment from 4 1/2 hours ago.
    we are working on that one. don't know what the problem is yet. if it is a palm thing or the way it was coded. i copied what was in all of the examples out there. but those other example are handling the "change of mind" better than this.
    I've only read the past couple pages of the thread so apologies if this has already been floated as an idea.

The most popular English translations (NIV, NASB, NLT etc) are copyrighted and cannot be distributed for free. However, as a way around this, some people in the e-sword community have written scripts that pull different translations off of Biblegateway or Blueletterbible etc etc and parse them into a compatible database for e-sword. This is EASILY done with some very basic C++ knowledge.

This approach would allow users to download the application and create their own bible module with the translation of their choice, and replace the bible files in the app with the files they themselves created, which were pulled off of Biblegateway (they are the only ones I know of who allow NIV access) for personal use, and thus do not violate copyright.

However I see 2 problems with this. First, the GNU license does not allow modification of the simplebibleapp... does this mean one cannot modify it for their own use as long as it is not redistributed?

The second problem is that currently the app supports only 1 translation. Would it be possible to modify the app to support multiple translations? For example, when e-sword launches, it looks in the program folder and loads any bible modules it finds in the folder. I'm sure something similar could easily be done with simplebibleapp- perhaps with another menu option on the first scene, or in the reader scene. This way people could create their own Bible modules (I keep calling them modules because that's what Rick Meyers of e-sword calls his) following the same format of the KJV module.

What do y'all think?
    The license actually specifically allows modification, only that it be noted. As it stands I have been working with sticky and frankos on a version that has five volumes. It currently has some bugs beyond what the standard version has, but it is functional. You can see the thread at:
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1815069

They have been invaluable in expanding their original code to work for my purposes. It is written well enough that even though I don't have much programming experience, I have been able to pretty much figure out what needs to be modified to do what needs to be done.

Let me know if I can help you.
    PalmPilot => PalmIII => Palm 300 => Treo 600 => Treo 650 => Treo 700 => Treo 750 => Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricyteach View Post
    The most popular English translations (NIV, NASB, NLT etc) are copyrighted and cannot be distributed for free. However, as a way around this, some people in the e-sword community have written scripts that pull different translations off of Biblegateway or Blueletterbible etc etc and parse them into a compatible database for e-sword. This is EASILY done with some very basic C++ knowledge.
    We have some of this planned for the future. We are currently evaluating several options and when we get done or almost done with Simple Bible, we will move to the next app, which will likely be some derivative of Simple Bible. Copyrighted translations will be available in either pieces downloaded from the web as needed, or in purchasable add-in modules.

I will say that I can't imagine that facilitating someone to download a bible from biblegateway and storing it in a database would be a direction we go. Sites like biblegateway have agreements with the publishers of books like NIV, NLT etc and I would not want to help folks cause the Biblegateway to violate their agreements. I think that is sort of like being the guy that created torrents for file sharing. His app is not illegitimate, but what some people are doing with it is.

Back on topic now. In addition to the full featured bible app we plan to produce, there may be a Simple Bible in Spanish and possibly a NET bible or some other free or open modern bible translation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricyteach View Post
    However I see 2 problems with this. First, the GNU license does not allow modification of the simplebibleapp... does this mean one cannot modify it for their own use as long as it is not redistributed?
    Actually we chose GNU GPL v3 specifically because it allows modifications. The original copyright holders, Tom and Jev will have to be mentioned in any future derivatives. They too will have to carry the GNU GPL license. Any distributions of this app or future versions/derivatives must be free. A person can however charge for providing a copy, but the purchaser of this copy may give it away all they want. Basically it's free and will always be free even any modified versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt8is View Post
    Any possiblity of adding a search feature?
    Eventually, yes.

Also, while your there, please rate our App. The apps are displayed on the Homebrew Apps page by the order of their ratings. If we can get high enough we will be on the 1st page.
  16.    #116  
    i just pushed out version 0.9.0 of simple bible.

we fixed the popup bug, so now everyone can decide not to change the book or chapter without fear of hanging the app.

we also add the font size preference setting.

go get it here!
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
    i just pushed out version 0.9.0 of simple bible.

we fixed the popup bug, so now everyone can decide not to change the book or chapter without fear of hanging the app.

we also add the font size preference setting.

go get it here!
    ok, and now after a little more testing, version 0.9.1, where the text size reverted back to medium after switching between the testaments.
    Very nicely done. I can't keep up with the updates. Everything is starting to look very impressive. Of course a search would be nice and a splash screen.

I love the landscape mode. That was unexpected. It is difficult to see the last entry when selecting the book/chapter.

Search is really the last feature needed and everything else is just icing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfphysics View Post
    ve the landscape mode. That was unexpected. It is difficult to see the last entry when selecting the book/chapter.

Yes to the popup menu in landscape. I did a little searching (about 15 minutes) and have yet to find a "height" or "Size" attribute for that widget. I believe it just builds its self according to the items inside the list. You can bet that we will keep looking though.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I've been updating this app regularly and it keeps on improving; in regard to the lastest version 0.9.2- when opening the enitre app is frozen. Clicking the top left menu button has no response along with the "Title Screen" where it was initially showed the new testament is not visable. Did a re-install and still the same bug occurs, any others having the same issue?