Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    I too am using 0.10.6. Didn't know about 0.11.0.

I have run into another issue which makes the delete feature even more important. It looks as though I have run into a hard limit for the number of translations you may have installed. I currently have 18 installed, and it won't let me install any more.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?
    Well, I don't have that many translations so I haven't tested it with that many. We'll have to look into that.

I can't actually imagine BitsOfGod hosting 18 English, public domain translations. I'm guessing your using multiple languages?
    Last edited by frankos72; 10/16/2009 at 01:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I'm in the process of installing a program called "The Faith Database" (which is Catholic oriented) but it has many non-Catholic Bible translations for comparing translations.

My initial use is so that I can have copies of other bibles so that I can use them as "known good" sources that I can compare SimpleBible translations against for "quality assurance" purposes
    Please let us know how this goes. Especially if you find any inaccuracies. I couldn't verify the original source of the KJV we started with so, once Dsei started to help with translations we update the KJV to be the one from Believers Resource. See below for more info.

I can verify NET Bible is 100% accurate because we got it from: NETBible

I believe all the other english translations we are hosting came from one of two sites. The first source was here: Bible SQL Scripts - Believers Resource

Then we started working with HaPe to get our German and Spanish from here: Browse Zefania XML Bible Markup Language Files on SourceForge.net

We still would like to host as many English, Spanish, German, French and Italian versions as we can. They must be either public domain or with a copyright that can be obtained freely with the proper documentation.
    I posted this on HaPe's thread too, but I would be willing to pay someone to convert the New Chinese version (both the traditional character and simplified character versions) into Simple Bible format. The Chinese Union versions would also be welcome.
    I just got an e-mail from Laridian, the makers of myBible. They stated that they will be providing content for the Palm Pre Simple Bible. This is huge!
    Nice to hear Laridian is support Simple Bible. Did they say when?
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    No. Here's there exact message
    We recently announced that we've signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Bits of God Software to be the exclusive provider of Bibles and other reference materials for an upcoming version of the popular Simple Bible application for the Palm Pre. Once completed, this will give current Laridian customers who have chosen the Palm Pre as their mobile platform access to the Bibles and reference books they already own for other platforms.
    It states for an upcoming version of Simple Bible, but I found it very promising.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Has anyone come across this inconsistancy in Simple Bible's NET Bible John 5:4 (attached jpg)? Also, the latest version in the change log at Bits Of God Software reads version 0.11.0 but the latest version in the Homebrew section is 0.10.6. Does anyone have version 0.11.0?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharper View Post
    Has anyone come across this inconsistancy in Simple Bible's NET Bible John 5:4 (attached jpg)? Also, the latest version in the change log at Bits Of God Software reads version 0.11.0 but the latest version in the Homebrew section is 0.10.6. Does anyone have version 0.11.0?
    Good catch. I have an "Empty" verse as well.
    From the Net Bible's translator's notes:

1 tc The majority of later mss (C3 Θ Ψ 078 ╦1,13 ¤) add the following to 5:3: “waiting for the moving of the water. 5:4 For an angel of the Lord went down and stirred up the water at certain times. Whoever first stepped in after the stirring of the water was healed from whatever disease which he suffered.” Other mss include only v. 3b (Ac D 33 lat) or v. 4 (A L it). Few textual scholars today would accept the authenticity of any portion of vv. 3b-4, for they are not found in the earliest and best witnesses (╠66,75 א B C* T pc co), they include un-Johannine vocabulary and syntax, several of the mss that include the verses mark them as spurious (with an asterisk or obelisk), and because there is a great amount of textual diversity among the witnesses that do include the verses. The present translation follows NA27 in omitting the verse number, a procedure also followed by a number of other modern translations.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    From the Net Bible's translator's notes:

1 tc The majority of later mss (C3 Θ Ψ 078 ╦1,13 ¤) add the following to 5:3: ôwaiting for the moving of the water. 5:4 For an angel of the Lord went down and stirred up the water at certain times. Whoever first stepped in after the stirring of the water was healed from whatever disease which he suffered.ö Other mss include only v. 3b (Ac D 33 lat) or v. 4 (A L it). Few textual scholars today would accept the authenticity of any portion of vv. 3b-4, for they are not found in the earliest and best witnesses (╠66,75 א B C* T pc co), they include un-Johannine vocabulary and syntax, several of the mss that include the verses mark them as spurious (with an asterisk or obelisk), and because there is a great amount of textual diversity among the witnesses that do include the verses. The present translation follows NA27 in omitting the verse number, a procedure also followed by a number of other modern translations.

Thanks so much for pointing this out. I also went to the editor's note on the Net Bible site. This helps explain why they decided to omit it.
    Well, I didn't read the whole thread before posting this, but I'll leave it here for references sake:

Quote Originally Posted by Sharper View Post
    Has anyone come across this inconsistency in Simple Bible's NET Bible John 5:4 (attached jpg)? Also, the latest version in the change log at Bits Of God Software reads version 0.11.0 but the latest version in the Homebrew section is 0.10.6. Does anyone have version 0.11.0?
    About John 5:4 in the NET Bible. Our sources for NET Bible come directly from NETBible. The following link will take you to their online version of NETBible where you can see the footnotes. There is an explanation there of why this is left out of NETBible. I think it basically says that it was not there in the original texts but has been added in the more modern translations.
    Few textual scholars today would accept the authenticity of any portion of vv. 3b-4, for they are not found in the earliest and best witnesses
    Check it our for yourself: NETBible: John 5

As for version 0.11.0. I submitted it to Palm for their review on October 5th. I'm sorry they haven't released it. There are very few changes in the 0.10.6 here and 0.11.0 that we submitted. I actually have a version 0.12.x that I will post up here soon. It just has some bug fixes and has been made multi lingual so that it has Spanish and German languages built into the UI. Stickywhipit is working on the Code to download additional translations directly to your phone rather than having to go through a PC. Once this is done, we will be to version 1.0.0. After that any further upgrades will be incidental as we will be turning our focus to Simple Bible Pro to support the Laridian Data Sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    We do not have a time frame yet. We must complete Simple Bible and get it submitted to Palm. After that, we will begin close work with Laridian to Iron out the details of our agreement and the Data Files. Then we have to get to work on Simple Bible Pro. At this point we don't want to even try and speculate on how long it will take to get a working version of Simple Bible Pro. I can tell you we will be doing a "Closed Beta" test at some point. When we get there our source for testers will be none other than these forums so keep your ears/eyes peeled for that announcement.
    Last edited by frankos72; 10/29/2009 at 01:19 AM.
    Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!! in a big way!
    I couldn't get to install the KJV bible on the latest homebrew version. It shows the TOC file but it doesn't do anything after I choose it.
  15. nak
    Quote Originally Posted by dbulante View Post
    I couldn't get to install the KJV bible on the latest homebrew version. It shows the TOC file but it doesn't do anything after I choose it.
    Try the "Cookie Kill" from the App menu and see if that helps. The default translation that comes with the new version is a sample form the KJV called the "KJV Starter." You will need to download the full KJV or other translations from the Bits of God Software website.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Same as me Cookie Kill, No go. Cookie Kill, Deleted Sample Version, Still wont install the kjv. Other versions install fine. Hope this is fixed before Sunday my pre is now my primary Bible.
    Same here. KJV doesn't install, but other translations work.
    Whew! Thought it was just me. Still sad it doesn't work ... but happy I'm not the only one.

Yes - misery loves company. :-)
    Also FYI, hitting preferences seems to lock up the app.

Excellent program.. thanks for the app