Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenRD View Post
    .... Also, do you have something in the works to make this a study Bible like being about to get the Greek Translation or the Hebrew Translation....
    I tried a Greek translation, while working on the converter for the Zefania format. The result was looking fine even as I'm not able to read Greek.

I will release the converter soon. You can find Greek and Hebrew Tanslations in Zefania format here: Browse Zefania XML Bible Markup Language Files on SourceForge.net

Hape
    Thank you so much for this App. Keep up the great work. God will honor your work.

God bless!
    [QUOTE=HaPe;1953889]I tried a Greek translation, while working on the converter for the Zefania format. The result was looking fine even as I'm not able to read Greek.

I will release the converter soon. You can find Greek and Hebrew Tanslations in Zefania format here: Browse Zefania XML Bible Markup Language Files on SourceForge.net

Hape[/QUOTE

First i would like to thank you for the quick post. However, I don't think I was clear in my first post. While I would like the Greek Translations. I was hoping it would go one step further.

I was hoping for an app to give a translation of a specific Greek Word. For example Greek has more than one word that translates as love. Each Greek word for love has a different meaning. For example you love your friend different from your son or even your spouse. However, English just uses the word love. I was hoping to be able to use this App to search certain words and get the Greek meaning not just the word. However. if you have the Greek Translation, I can always just find the scripture and do a quick Google search to figure out the meaning.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenRD View Post
    Great App guys, and like others I would be galdly pay for more translations. Also, do you have something in the works to make this a study Bible like being about to get the Greek Translation or the Hebrew Translation.

I know this would be a lot of memory, but maybe you could use a link in the verse that connects to a website that has the information. Maybe even partner with a website that already has the information available. I know this would be difficult and probably take a lot of time. I was just wondering if you consider it.

(BTW is someone posted this sorry. I did do a quick search)
    We have plans for Simple Bible Pro. It will have lots of additional features. Some which we already know of and some which may pop up along the way.
    For example, we didn't plan for bookmarks for SB, but in working on the screen orientation bug and making it remember your last place, adding a bookmark became a cinch. I've learned you never know what might pop up along the way of completing your app.

Anyway, we will continue to finish SB. About all that is left is over the air downloads for new translations rather you having to go to our website. After that is finished work on SB Pro will start. I expect we will have a firm grasp on where we are going with version 1 of SBPro by the 1st of the year.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    this app is gr8.....it even has Gods name @ psalms 83:18 wich is Jehovah!

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    I will release the converter soon.
    How soon is soon? I can't wait to try it out!
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntite View Post
    How soon is soon? I can't wait to try it out!
    The package is redy to post. I only not sure if it will be a forum post (as attachment) or on a web page.
    Expect it in the next days. I will start a new thread for it and will point to it in this thread.

HaPe
    Great. Thanks HaPe.
    The link is not working to download different versions.
    NOOOOOOORTH!
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreengdub View Post
    The link is not working to download different versions.
    Can you be more specific? The app should be on the app catalog soon and I need to make sure everything is working. I don't see any problems anywhere.

Jev
    Hello everyone,
    I've just read the 15 pages in this thread from beginning to here for the first time. It seems that you have made some great progress on this application from the initial ideas you had about a month ago. Great work!

Quote Originally Posted by JRH View Post
    would love to see the New American Bible version for Catholics....thanks for a great app!!!
    I believe the NAB (as well as the RSV) are copyrighted, The Douay-Rheims translation is unencombered. It's also a quite beautiful translation to read.

Douay-Rheims Bible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it was free in a PalmOS Bible reader (Olive Tree, I think). I'm willing to do some searches to see where I/we can get the text from. I might be willing to write some scripts to convert it into your format.

Thanks again everyone for your relentless and fruitful work on this project. I guess my next step is to download this. (I'm guessing it's best to get this from Homebrew/Preware if I want to help you all with a Douay-Rheims translation.)

EDIT: I think the following is probably the best source to get the text for the Douay-Rheims:
    http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1581

It seems to be available in several formats (hopefully one which you already have a format conversion program to handle.)

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/09/2009 at 07:01 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    EDIT: I think the following is probably the best source to get the text for the Douay-Rheims:
    The Bible, Douay-Rheims, Complete by Anonymous - Project Gutenberg

It seems to be available in several formats (hopefully one which you already have a format conversion program to handle.)
    Yes it is, in the standard Zefania Repository Browse Zefania XML Bible Markup Language Files on SourceForge.net

Direct link => Zefania XML Bibles 2 english/Douay Rheims

HaPe
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I posted the first version of the Zefania to Simple Bible converter in a separate thread some minutes ago.
    PreCentral Forums > Palm Pre Device and Accessories > Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources > Howto convert bibles from the Zefania XML format to use for Simple Bible

May good be with you
    HaPe
    Quote Originally Posted by HaPe View Post
    Hi all,

I posted the first version of the Zefania to Simple Bible converter in a separate thread some minutes ago.
    PreCentral Forums > Palm Pre Device and Accessories > Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources > Howto convert bibles from the Zefania XML format to use for Simple Bible

May good be with you
    HaPe
    Do you want me to try and convert the Douay-Rheims (or are you already doing this)? I currently have two systems with Java but they probably won't work with .vbs code. One is under cygwin on a Windows XP system, and the other is a WebOS environmnent under Ubuntu.
    Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    Do you want me to try and convert the Douay-Rheims (or are you already doing this)? I currently have two systems with Java but they probably won't work with .vbs code. One is under cygwin on a Windows XP system, and the other is a WebOS environmnent under Ubuntu.
    I answered in the other tread: http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post1966222

HaPe
    I have been playing with converting my own translations using HaPe's tool, but I am having problems deleting them once they are imported into Simple Bible. I know that the feature to delete translations within Simple Bible is still buggy. Does anyone know how to manually delete a/all translation(s)? I tried uninstalling then reinstalling Simple Bible, but that didn't work. (I would not be adverse to poking around the command line...)
    I have been playing with converting my own translations using HaPe's tool, but I am having problems deleting them once they are imported into Simple Bible. ...
    I was wondering about the same thing. I've asked HaPe if he want's me to test along those lines or not. (The feature might not be ready for testing yet, so I'm going to wait until I hear what the devs think is ready before I investigate the issue myself.) I'm currently running 0.10.6 (which Preware thinks is the latest - in spite of 0.11.0 being mentioned on the BitsOfGod.com website.
    I was wondering about the same thing. I've asked HaPe if he want's me to test along those lines or not. (The feature might not be ready for testing yet, so I'm going to wait until I hear what the devs think is ready before I investigate the issue myself.) I'm currently running 0.10.6 (which Preware thinks is the latest - in spite of 0.11.0 being mentioned on the BitsOfGod.com website.
    I too am using 0.10.6. Didn't know about 0.11.0.

I have run into another issue which makes the delete feature even more important. It looks as though I have run into a hard limit for the number of translations you may have installed. I currently have 18 installed, and it won't let me install any more.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?
    I too am using 0.10.6. Didn't know about 0.11.0.

I have run into another issue which makes the delete feature even more important. It looks as though I have run into a hard limit for the number of translations you may have installed. I currently have 18 installed, and it won't let me install any more. ...
    Wow! Maybe you might consider finding something for a computer (where you can compare verses from different Bibles). I'm in the process of installing a program called "The Faith Database" (which is Catholic oriented) but it has many non-Catholic Bible translations for comparing translations.

My initial use is so that I can have copies of other bibles so that I can use them as "known good" sources that I can compare SimpleBible translations against for "quality assurance" purposes

After installing, it can download additional info from the web. Mine ran into an error when doing this (File access is denied c:\fdb\ff.dbf.) but the Bibles below seem to be readable:

RSV
    KJV
    Douay (Douay Rheims)
    ESV
    Darby
    NAB
    NIV
    ASV
    NRSV
    Young's
    Vulgate (which is Latin)
    WEB
    NASB
    Greek (Greek Interlinear)

EDIT: Note: I learned that the Copyrighted Bibles above are obtained via an Internet connection rather than being stored on the computer.

In addition to the Bibles, this database contains some writings of the early church fathers, doctors, and classic texts.

The download version costs around $32 and the CDROM version costs around $40. Here are URLs (for where you can purchase) if anyone is interested:
    Faith Database
    Last edited by sudoer; 10/15/2009 at 11:02 PM.
    I have been playing with converting my own translations using HaPe's tool, but I am having problems deleting them once they are imported into Simple Bible. I know that the feature to delete translations within Simple Bible is still buggy. Does anyone know how to manually delete a/all translation(s)? I tried uninstalling then reinstalling Simple Bible, but that didn't work. (I would not be adverse to poking around the command line...)
    Use the Cookie Kill (on the app menu) that is in "Precentral.net" versions of the app. These versions are 0.10.4 and 0.10.6 I think.

Version 0.11.0 that is submitted to palm has an actual working delete from the list. It doesn't delete the data from your USB partition though. This will still be up to the user.