Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Dear SimpleBible folkss -
    Thanks again for this app and for those who don't know it, it has been used as the 'base' for other apps, like our SimpleBigBook.

In an attempt to 'give back that which was so freely given', I have a small fix that might help you for the Incidental screens, such as the 'About the KJV', 'Credits', etc.

When you go to those screens, if you then go to the picker that got you to that screen, the option is empty. The fix for this is simple and is just two steps per assistant:

1. In the 'setup' area of all of the assistants, replace this code:
    this.appMenuModel = {
    visible: false,
    items: [

]
    };

with this code:

this.appMenuModel = {
    visible: true,
    items: [
    { label: 'Gods plan for YOU', command: 'cmd-God' },
    { label: 'About the KJV Translation', command: 'cmd-BookInfo' },
    { label: 'Credits', command: 'cmd-Credits' },
    { label: "Preferences", command: 'cmd-myPrefs' },
    { label: 'About / HELP', command: 'cmd-About' }
    ]
    };

2. Then, at the bottom of each assistant, paste in the code below, then change the first part of the first line to whatever assistant name you are working in (i.e. if you're in the 'About' assistant, change: BookAssistant.prototype.<etc> to AboutAssistant.prototype.<etc>):

BookAssistant.prototype.handleCommand = function(event){
    if(event.type == Mojo.Event.command)
    {
    this.cmd= event.command;
    this.chapVal= 0;

// change the cmd if it is a chap# cmd
    if (this.cmd.substr(0,4)=="chap"){
    this.cmd= this.cmd.substr(0,4);
    this.chapVal= event.command.substr(4,(event.command.length-4));
    }

switch(this.cmd)
    {
    case "goSelBook":
    this.selectBook(event);
    break;
    case "goSwapTestament":
    this.swapTestament();
    break;
    case "goSelChap":
    this.selectChapter(event);
    break;
    case 'cmd-God':
    Mojo.Controller.stageController.swapScene('god');
    break;
    case 'cmd-BookInfo':
    Mojo.Controller.stageController.swapScene('kjv');
    break;
    case 'cmd-Credits':
    Mojo.Controller.stageController.swapScene('credits');
    break;
    case 'cmd-About':
    Mojo.Controller.stageController.swapScene('about');
    break;
    case 'cmd-myPrefs':
    Mojo.Controller.stageController.swapScene('prefs');
    break;
    }
    }
    }

That's it! You're done. Thanks again for all you've given to the community and we're grabbing a small part of the torch and carrying it in a slightly different direction.

PS: We're working on search function code we hope to have done soon that will search all books. We'll send it along, if you want it.

-- John Kiernan (SimpleBigBook)
  2.    #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiernan7 View Post
    Dear SimpleBible folkss -
    Thanks again for this app and for those who don't know it, it has been used as the 'base' for other apps, like our SimpleBigBook.

In an attempt to 'give back that which was so freely given', I have a small fix that might help you for the Incidental screens, such as the 'About the KJV', 'Credits', etc.

When you go to those screens, if you then go to the picker that got you to that screen, the option is empty.
    we've done a bit of cleanup with the menus for the version that we released to the app catalog. we left the menu off some of those scenes, because it did not make sense to have them. i will revisit it to make sure we are consistent, though.

we are close on a new version that we will push out to homebrew for testing, hopefully this week.

PS: We're working on search function code we hope to have done soon that will search all books. We'll send it along, if you want it.
    um, yes, yes, yes. but how are you doing it? are you converting the content to a database first? we were waiting to move to a db for the content before implementing a search...
    Right now (version one) will be a system that scans through the books to come up with a word list and then it will build a way to have a list of snippets that you can then click. Once going to the page (chapter, in your case), the searched words will be highlighted.

I think one of the things Rick and I will do very quickly is come up with some kind of 'plug and play' type of search system.

In both our cases, I think we can save the word list to a static page of some kind that will then be able to be searched. While it sounds slow, it just isn't. Seconds at the most.

We hope to have something VERY soon.

-- John Kiernan
    regarding full text search.

It turns out that on our substantially smaller text (slightly less than 400K vs your 6 meg) a javascript array based search on the emulator is "faster than you can blink."

We will be pushing a version of BigBook with full text search up to the homebrew gallery tonight. This will be alpha version 0 of full text search. It only will do "or" searches not "and" or "exact text" searches.

We expect to have exact text and "and" searches no latter than Friday.

In some quick testing, searching the entirety of the NT, 1.5 meg is less than 2 seconds. It turns out that Javascripts string functions are very fast.

You will probably want to do "NT, Torah, Law, and Prophets seperately, instead of searching six meg, but we THINK we can hand you full text search by the weekend.

Rick
    Hey guys...

To 'ditto' what Rick said...

I'll be on a plane most of the day tomorrow, so I hope to put it to good use and get you some kind of search page done by then.

Right now, ours is very basic, but we've got 80% of the work done on it. You can download our app with the full text search later tonight to see what we've got.

Right now, it only gives a list of pages. Where we hope to go is give a list (a widget list) with a short snippet of the surrounding text and the list will be a link that will take you to that verse with the searched word(s) highlighted.

We were originally looking at using SQLite (we may yet go this route), but this way is blazing fast for our needs. We'll see how your book works in this paradigm.

-- John Kiernan, Simple BigBook
    PS (and totally none of my biz, but...): It sure seems like your app should be in 'Books'. The other apps in 'Reference' seem a lot different than this. (My two cents, 'take what you like and leave the rest').
    SimpleBigBook version 0.0.5 with full text search has been posted to the app catalog.

This is the alpha version search with only "or" searching. "and" and "exact phrase" are forthcoming.

Still, feel free to scan code. It's AMAZING how fast this runs.
    Would Ricks search code work in Simple Bible?

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Would Ricks search code work in Simple Bible?

- Craig
    it will work with minor tweaks, yes.

You may want to wait a few days. Right now it's the dumb version.

Let us get context snippets, lists, and, or, and exact phrase searches running

Rick
  9.    #209  
    we have not looked at it yet (aka. busy lives, go figure...)

thanks for doing the work, it will be very interesting to integrate this into the bible app.
    +1 This is very exciting to hear. Search probably ties for 2nd with Bookmarks as the most commonly requested feature. Additional translations would be the 1st place winner. As Sticky stated, we hope to have additional translations avliable soon. Speaking of which, we wouldn't mind some help with the conversion of translations at this point. Sticky has been doing this but we both have our hands full at the moment.

To start with we have a Version of NET Bible that works in our app, it just needs some cleaning up done. After that, I have some other translations that need to be converted to our format. If your up for helping, shoot me a PM and I'll get with you on the specifics.
    we will have bookmarks as part of stage 2 of search, since we have to have the "jump to a bookmark" code in order to jump to a search element.
    Ah, we already have bookmarks working in our current version of Simple Bible. THey just jump to the y position on a page rather than a DOM element so they break if you change the orientation of the phone. We have discussed the posibility of changing it to an exact Testament/Book/Verse. This will make it work in both portrait and landscape 100% of the time, but will be slower for the user to set. So until palm gives us the ability to identify what DOM or DOMs are currently in the window, we are stuck with one half baked option or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Ah, we already have bookmarks working in our current version of Simple Bible. THey just jump to the y position on a page rather than a DOM element so they break if you change the orientation of the phone. We have discussed the posibility of changing it to an exact Testament/Book/Verse. This will make it work in both portrait and landscape 100% of the time, but will be slower for the user to set. So until palm gives us the ability to identify what DOM or DOMs are currently in the window, we are stuck with one half baked option or the other.
    well, you -could- do an on-click of the verse number which allowed setting a bookmark rather than a menu choice. that's something we're looking at.

in our case, we're considering tagging diamonds between paragraphs.
    or, it occurs to me that you can query the dom for the top and left of an element.

So, you could loop through the verses, and find the verse with the top just below the top of the window, and boom, there's your bookmark.

Rick
    I has been fun watching everyone collaborate.

Look at the miles you have all traveled in such a short time.

I was looking back through some of your old posts. Wow have you all come far.

- Craig
    Great Job with this app. Hope to see many more from you.
    Here's a little teaser of the up coming version for all you loyal followers.

Additions Include Bookmarks, the app remembers your last location and the ability to install additional translations. As of this moment NET Bible is the only translation that we have ready, but dsei has joined our team and will be working on additional translations ASAP. Next up on the translations list, ASV and a Spanish Translation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I can do javascript, but I do not have a pre. I do not know what provisions the pre has in WebOS for allowing access to files. javascript by itself only can access a single document. It has been shown to me that it can be enhanced to access multiple outside files to make a search engine. Dreamweaver is built on Mozilla's Javascript Engine and has search-and-replace with optional regex that also has the option of spanning an entire folder tree. I am hoping webos has similar provisions.

I have javascript code that almost passes muster for AND search per line (currently though I think it does OR, will have to go over the code again). it does not currently sort the results. to sort results, it would require that I understand the structure of the document, and that each "line" or paragraph have the attributes ebook= chapter= verse= book=. I would also need to hard-code a structure in the code (maybe, just maybe a include file will work) that defines an array which contains a list of books and ebooks. if it is only a simple Bible reader, then the ebook entry is not needed.
    I am not a company, so I am unable to download the palm dev software.
    Jim Michaels<jmichae3@yahoo.com>
    you do not have to be a company to download the sdk. Tens of thousands of individuals have downloaded it.

It is completely free and has no restrictions on the downloading of it.

Go to developer.palm.com and sign up.

this will give you a pre emulator which you can test with.

As to your "coding' the simple bible (and simple big book) texts are ALREADY coded in a manner similar to that.

I don't know who gave you the idea that javascript could only open one file, but it simply isn't true.

Please download the IPK for simple big book and look at the search code.

Rick
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I can do javascript, but I do not have a pre. I do not know what provisions the pre has in WebOS for allowing access to files. javascript by itself only can access a single document. It has been shown to me that it can be enhanced to access multiple outside files to make a search engine. Dreamweaver is built on Mozilla's Javascript Engine and has search-and-replace with optional regex that also has the option of spanning an entire folder tree. I am hoping webos has similar provisions.

I have javascript code that almost passes muster for AND search per line (currently though I think it does OR, will have to go over the code again). it does not currently sort the results. to sort results, it would require that I understand the structure of the document, and that each "line" or paragraph have the attributes ebook= chapter= verse= book=. I would also need to hard-code a structure in the code (maybe, just maybe a include file will work) that defines an array which contains a list of books and ebooks. if it is only a simple Bible reader, then the ebook entry is not needed.
    I am not a company, so I am unable to download the palm dev software.
    Jim Michaels<jmichae3@yahoo.com>