webOS Nation Forums >  Homebrew >  webOS Homebrew Apps > simple bible app for the pre
simple bible app for the pre
  Closed Thread

Old 08/31/2009, 02:17 AM   #181 (permalink)

Not sure if this has been discussed but what are the chances of getting other versions, specifically NIV and ESV?? Great app!
Old 09/01/2009, 11:59 PM   #182 (permalink)

OK. I have ready through all 10 pages of this post. And I haven't seen a specific answer to this question, so here goes. Sorry if I missed it in there somewhere. Many old Palm Treo users already had a bible app and that read different bible versions. Bible Plus was one that someone mentioned. I used it too. I also have several bible versions in PDB format that I paid for - NIV being one of them. Is there any way for you to add the functionality of this bible app to be able to read, and use those old PDB bible versions. Maybe just copy those PDBs to the Pre through USB. THen Simple Bible would see them and recognize/use them as needed. Maybe? Hopefully? Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 09/02/2009, 03:33 PM   #183 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by long_tall_texan View Post
OK. I have ready through all 10 pages of this post. And I haven't seen a specific answer to this question, so here goes. Sorry if I missed it in there somewhere. Many old Palm Treo users already had a bible app and that read different bible versions. Bible Plus was one that someone mentioned. I used it too. I also have several bible versions in PDB format that I paid for - NIV being one of them. Is there any way for you to add the functionality of this bible app to be able to read, and use those old PDB bible versions. Maybe just copy those PDBs to the Pre through USB. THen Simple Bible would see them and recognize/use them as needed. Maybe? Hopefully? Keeping fingers crossed.
short answer, no. we have a simple format and do not support the pdb format. we are working on suppoadding translations (other versions) but you would still need a way to convert from pdb to our format.

long answer, we are looking into all of the possibilities from supporting different formats to supporting other ways of getting more translations and versions down to your pre. just hold tight.
Old 09/02/2009, 03:40 PM   #184 (permalink)

Great!.

And great app already by the way. Thanks for all the hard work so far!
Old 09/02/2009, 07:29 PM   #185 (permalink)

This is an AWESOME App! Thanks SOOO much for it! I hope to also see a NIV or ESV in the future. Once again GREAT WORK!
Old 09/02/2009, 08:40 PM   #186 (permalink)

Great app!! Much appreciated!!
Old 09/03/2009, 10:25 AM   #187 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meangreengdub View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed but what are the chances of getting other versions, specifically NIV and ESV?? Great app!
Those are not public domain and would require fees to the copy right holders.

- Craig
Old 09/04/2009, 09:58 AM   #188 (permalink)

Nice application!!! Keep up the good work.
Old 09/04/2009, 10:35 AM   #189 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
working on the free netBible version without notes.
No pressure, just wondering if netBible is still on the agenda...thanks!
Old 09/04/2009, 04:53 PM   #190 (permalink)

yes, It's very close too. Sticky did an initial conversion of the SQL database they gave us into our format. I've had to make a few manual changes to one book and some CSS stuff so that it looks right in our app. I've sent screenshots of it to NETBible for their Okay. Once this is done, then we just have to run it through a parser to make the changes to the whole book.

In the meantime, Stickywhipit, is working on setting up the app to download new translations and store them on the phone. We were originally going to have users just add the new translations to a "SimpleBible" Directory on your usb drive, but we want to make it easier than that so, he's having to setup the download page, as well as work out how to store it on the phone in the .application Data folder.

This is really the only major changes in the next update. NETBible and the means to install new translations so I think it's safe to say look for it in the next update!
Old 09/04/2009, 07:50 PM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
yes, It's very close too. Sticky did an initial conversion of the SQL database they gave us into our format. I've had to make a few manual changes to one book and some CSS stuff so that it looks right in our app. I've sent screenshots of it to NETBible for their Okay. Once this is done, then we just have to run it through a parser to make the changes to the whole book.

In the meantime, Stickywhipit, is working on setting up the app to download new translations and store them on the phone. We were originally going to have users just add the new translations to a "SimpleBible" Directory on your usb drive, but we want to make it easier than that so, he's having to setup the download page, as well as work out how to store it on the phone in the .application Data folder.

This is really the only major changes in the next update. NETBible and the means to install new translations so I think it's safe to say look for it in the next update!
Thanks so much for your response. I'm excited to see the next update along with so many others.
Old 09/07/2009, 09:03 AM   #192 (permalink)

Simple Bible is a great, powerful app and I like that it's simple. I just had some hopes for the next update:
- 90 degree rotation bug fixed
- font size change bug fixed
- faster book loading
- if not, book loading progress bar
- back swipe takes you to the last book and position
- remembering position in book when restarting

I hear you're working on a search and different bible translations. I'm not sure if I would like a web based bible. What if I don't have access to the web or what if it slows it down?
Old 09/10/2009, 04:37 PM   #193 (permalink)

Thanks to the simple Bible team for a useful piece of code easily adapted to other purposes.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...39#post1883868

This is a direct port.....

Rick B & John K
Old 09/10/2009, 06:53 PM   #194 (permalink)

Congratulations on the App Catalog addition!!!
Old 09/10/2009, 07:02 PM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoaster View Post
Congratulations on the App Catalog addition!!!
thanks and a big thanks to everyone that helped us by testing! this sure is motivation to get the next bit of functionality done. glad that the weekend is almost upon us, I can actually make some progress.
Old 09/10/2009, 08:37 PM   #196 (permalink)

Congrats on the App Catalog! I just saw the news! Wow. GREAT work guys!
Old 09/10/2009, 09:11 PM   #197 (permalink)

I really like this app. It's one of the few Bible apps that I can take into church and keep up with the pastor as he zips from passage to passage.
Old 09/10/2009, 11:43 PM   #198 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfphysics View Post
Simple Bible is a great, powerful app and I like that it's simple. I just had some hopes for the next update:
Thanks for the feedback, wow.
Quote:
- 90 degree rotation bug fixed
We can recreate the 90 degree bug, where your position changes, and are working on a fix.

Quote:
- font size change bug fixed
can you provide more detail on this bug? i am not sure what is wrong.

Quote:
- faster book loading
- if not, book loading progress bar
we are looking into the faster book loading. it might only happen when we convert this from html files to a database. and the progress bar might possibly help it fell more responsive. good idea.

Quote:
- back swipe takes you to the last book and position
we are not sure if we are going to implement a history feature in the simple bible...

Quote:
- remembering position in book when restarting
we are looking into this request. i would like this feature as well.

Quote:
I hear you're working on a search and different bible translations. I'm not sure if I would like a web based bible. What if I don't have access to the web or what if it slows it down?
our goal is to allow for translations to be loaded onto the media drive in usb mode, so you will have your translations with you at all times.
Thanked by frankos72, jfphysics
Old 09/12/2009, 10:03 PM   #199 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharper View Post
No pressure, just wondering if netBible is still on the agenda...thanks!
yes, yes, yes, soon!
Old 09/13/2009, 01:14 PM   #200 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickywhipit View Post
can you provide more detail on this bug? i am not sure what is wrong.
When changing font size in the middle of a book, the position changes. It's like the rotation bug.
Closed Thread

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0