Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2025262728293031 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flare576 View Post
    Additionally, I ran the homebrew version from its release until the official version (and even then I kept the homebrew one installed "just in case") and likewise never had a memory leak problem with it, so either it was introduced post-official, or you might have a configuration (ie: other apps) issue.
    Maybe, but several people reported that issue, so they and I would all have to have the same conflicting configuration. The problem appeared after webOS version 1.4.x, if I recall correctly.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Yeah, that is pretty unlikely. I run Preset Reset to reboot every night, how soon does the problem you describe begin to impact performance for you; is it hours or days? Also, do you recall if it mattered what frequency you switched at? (5 minutes caused the problem sooner than 1 hour, etc). I like being a guinea pig when I can
    I didn't test it exhaustively. Typically with switching every 15 or 30 minutes, the problem would appear by the end of the day. Took a while to develop. Maybe if you switched more often the problem would appear sooner.
    Anybody else having the problem where menu selections disappear? All menu titles are visible, but the app is otherwise blank.
    boydell --

First off, let me tell you how much i LOVE this app..i use it all day, every day to switch between about 2000 pics of my 18 month old daughter (plus a few other fun pics). Until now, I have been using the free HB version because you couldn't use your own pics to in the app.

I noticed that the App Catalog version now allows you to upload your own pics to a server, but not sure if I wanted to move to that App or continue with the on-device based folder. I really really want to support you in the catalog, but had a few questions for you:

1) Is there any difference between the HB and Official apps in terms of efficiency, memory leaks, battery life, etc? Or is it basically the same general code?
    2) What happens if you are not in network coverage if using the App Catalog version?
    3) Let's say I buy the current App Catalog version...at some point, Palm has stated that they will provide the APIs to allow you to pull the files directly from the device. Do you plan on just updating the existing App to allow that, or would you put out a 2nd app (that I would then have to buy as well) to allow on-device files?

I really want to support you (and I believe I have made a donation or two in the past to you), but also don't want to buy the app today and then have to buy it again in the future. does that make sense?

thanks
    Adam
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I didn't test it exhaustively. Typically with switching every 15 or 30 minutes, the problem would appear by the end of the day. Took a while to develop. Maybe if you switched more often the problem would appear sooner.
    I noticed this too..I used to do the 5-minute switch, but I found towards the end of the day I would get a lot of memory errors. I have since switched to a 15 minute switch, and I make sure to turn off the switching overnight

Note that I am using the free HB version on a Sprint 1.4.1.1 Pre
    I am the creator of the PalmSpot entry “webOS Does, and Does, and Does Some More”, writes Save/Restore scripts and helps manage the script feed, and now writes webOS Nation's Tip of the Day

Got a good tip for webOS Nation's Tip of the Day? Please send me a PM or use the Contact Us form and select "Suggest a tip"

Like any of my work:
    Where's Boydell? No posts since March 12, and there are some very negative reviews of the paid version in the app catalog. I was thinking of buying it, but the developer seems to be AWOL.
    Where's Boydell? No posts since March 12, and there are some very negative reviews of the paid version in the app catalog. I was thinking of buying it, but the developer seems to be AWOL.
    I know..I asked a question on a post 2 prior to yours a month ago, and never heard back. I also followed up with a Precentral PM and an email to support from his website, and no answer. I really want to buy his app catalog version, but wanted to get a few answers first. really disappointing, because boydell used to be a very responsive dev..

Like any of my work:
    By the way, I strongly recommend AGAINST buying the app "QuickChanger". Its description in the App Catalog is rather deceptive, because it sounds like it can change wallpapers from the device's folders. In reality, it can only choose local wallpapers one by one. What's the point? I can already do that from webOS or the homebrew Switcharoo. Very disappointing; not even worth 50 cents.
    By the way, I strongly recommend AGAINST buying the app "QuickChanger". Its description in the App Catalog is rather deceptive, because it sounds like it can change wallpapers from the device's folders. In reality, it can only choose local wallpapers one by one. What's the point? I can already do that from webOS or the homebrew Switcharoo. Very disappointing; not even worth 50 cents.
    Yea..i was watching the video for that app and noticed that you had to add each pic one-by-one... no thanks! I have almost 2,000 pics and there is no way i am manually adding each one!

Like any of my work:
    I love this app. It's nice to be able to utilize all 400 wallpapers I have. But I seem to be getting this error nearly non stop to where I have to restart my pre to get it to go away. My first pre (screen stopped coming on got a new pre) did it and so does my new one and my wife's does it. The error is something about too many cards open. And if I click okay the error just keeps appearing and won't let me open any other apps. Not even a luna restart will help sometimes.

anyway to fix this other then deleting the app?

using free homebrew app. Why pay for something that aparrantly don't work? All the reviews from payers are mostly negative. It's almost like dev got his money and ignored everyones problems from then on.
    Last edited by Lyynk; 07/25/2010 at 04:19 AM.
    The homebrew app definitely has a memory leak that eventually causes the TMC error. Unfortunately, in my experience the paid app also seems to have some sort of fatal problem, maybe the same one (or maybe not). The developer has not been responding to complaints on this forum, his own support website, or in the app catalog reviews. I imagine he has a day job that takes up so much of his time that he can't attend to Switcharoo very much. It's too bad, because Switcharoo is still the only wallpaper app that can draw from the user's own collection of wallpapers. Perhaps when the new webOS SDK comes out, these problems can be more easily addressed?

Currently, I use the homebrew app about once a day to change wallpapers, and that doesn't seem to cause problems.
    Heres my two cents

I use Switcharoo (paid version)... works flawlessly. I use my own images and have them set to change each hour. Depending on network connection the image may not change till 3 minutes after but seems to have always worked flawlessly for me.

I'd say the reviews are from different versions. I have tested beta releases for the developer and he has gone through many different methods for getting the next wallpaper from the server (i.e. downloading the entire collection at 4 am; downloading one by one etc..).

None-the-less I've never had any real problem with the app and I don't receive the TMC error like some have reported. I suggested the app to be purchased during the half off sale and still would.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    I also sent Boydell an email a few weeks ago, never got a reply. Maybe some of you can help me. For awhile, Boydell had a beta version out there we coule play with some new features on before that release hit the App Catalog. I deleted the beta once the update was available in the app catalog. However, I'm told by HardBeatz (Palm Support) that there was an update available for that beta of Wallpaper Switcharoo (Beta) and that is why when I hit the updates app, it always says I have updates available when I actually dont. I need to reinstall that beta again, and update it, then delete it to fix this. Do any of you by chance still have a link or the ipk to that beta version around anywhere? Would help me out greatly since the dev seems to have died..
    Thanks!

Update: I found it in an old email.. here is the link just in case anyone else is in my same boat:
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...switcharoobeta
    Last edited by volcom45; 07/26/2010 at 01:44 PM.
    boydell - How about the ability to add launchparam / other ways of other apps to control it. Many of use that use Mode Switcher would like to incorporate it so MS can easily send request for the app so they can function together.

Here is a link to the conversation.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...=1#post2621702

post #3292
    Last edited by huffman01; 08/23/2010 at 02:06 PM.
    My History of the last 10 years with Sprint! Palm Pre is by far the BEST!

I'm constantly having to reinstall Switcharoo. It will get to a point where tapping it doesn't launch the app (it hangs on the loading screen). It's not a big deal since it's a free download, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue.
    I'm in the same boat as you with the paid version 1.5 from the palm store.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    I've been happily using Switcharoo Free for a long time, but just this week nothing happens when I try to choose a directory for images. When I tap "switch now" an error pops up. I've tried reinstalling. The only thing that came to mind was that I tried the Weatherman 2.0 app. Maybe it didn't uninstall completely.

Any ideas? Thanks!

[edit]: Solved it: Re-installed Weatherman, turned it off, deleted it, restarted Luna, used Screen preferences app to reset a wallpaper. Switcharoo now works fine.
    Last edited by flamand; 09/17/2010 at 12:46 PM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I uploaded a bunch of Halloween wallpapers and now every 30 minutes I have a creepy new wallpaper for the season. This app has worked great for me for months.
    Anyone with the paid version, has this recently stopped working for you?

I keep gettig the error "Can't download next image" this morning after trying to manually switch. Automatic switches don't occur either.