Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Wow... this seems like it will be most helpful down in FL. To bad its a nice day out today (go figure).

I agree that it would be nice if it pulled the local weather based on ur local, but still, great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by briggsie View Post
    call me stupid how does it work?
    I have not used the app but it looks like you set the temp to your local temp. you see lightning you hit start/stop. you hear thunder you hit start/stop again.

the rest is formulas in the software.
    So does the Start Stop respond quick enough to be useful?

I guess I will try it out for myself.
  4.    #24  
    well, I should call the start/stop button, the light/sound button.
    In the further version, I'm going to add an help to understand how this software works.

Thank for your comments. The local temperature update is a great idea !

I'm also working on other science apps .....
    Last edited by boucles0; 08/01/2009 at 09:05 AM.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dld121 View Post
    So does the Start Stop respond quick enough to be useful?
    Sure !
    for the first time I'm begging for rain!!! just so I can try this app out
    Very cool.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by musiccity View Post
    for the first time I'm begging for rain!!! just so I can try this app out
  9.    #29  
    New version available !!!! Version 1.2

New features :

New user interface.
    Accurate physic engine.
    Save the nearest impact.
    Autosave function.
    Impact count all over the world.
    Help
    Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    New version available !!!! Version 1.2

New features :

New user interface.
    Accurate physic engine.
    Save the nearest impact.
    Autosave function.
    Impact count all over the world.
    Help
    I can't seem to figure out how to switch it to non-metric. Is the Preferences item in the menu supposed to be grayed out?
  11.    #31  
    You have to scroll down the app to see all the options. Check screen capture in this first message.
    Quote Originally Posted by boucles0 View Post
    You have to scroll down the app to see all the options. Check screen capture in this first message.
    Ah, my bad, thanks.
  13.    #34  
    Download link

Version 2.0 :

New features :
    New user interface
    Length measurement of lightning
    Electroagnetic fields around the lightning
    Improvement of TOP 5
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Interesting Application. I investigate severe storms here for my work. It would seem like there are quite a few assumptions being made for you to be able to determine the electric and magnetic fields associated with the flash(es). The fields also fall off quickly as ones distance from the flash increases. Your fields shown do not look reasonable (at distance). Can you PM me and tell me how you are attempting to calculate these values?

Finally, this version doesn't seem to start up on my Pre! I can download it (via FileCoaster) and install it, but it hangs starting.
    I downloaded the latest 2.0 version a few minutes ago and all I get when starting the program is a white screen. My previous version had been working fine. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling (via Filecoaster) but still get only a white screen.

Tony
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I also cannot launch the app. I downloaded 2.0 and it just sits there after install.
  17.    #38  
    I'm looking why there's a problem. I didn't made this program with the sdk 1.1, it's probably why it doesn't work good
  18.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    It would seem like there are quite a few assumptions being made for you to be able to determine the electric and magnetic fields associated with the flash(es).
    Yes, I use a value of current strength (30000A) to calculate the magnetic field. But I will improve that by giving uncertainties of the magnetic field and current strength values.

For Electric field, I use the height of the lightning given by the theorem of Thales and the average load of a flash (750 C).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast