Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I love it when people say "what's the difference between this and <insert website here>" It's the same Robert.

There is no difference if you'd rather go to the website to check your IP with a bunch of ads then go for it. This is for people who need a simple quick way to check their IP.

Thanks moserjj

Suggestion:

Maybe you can add a RELEASE/RENEW function. There are times when I'm on Wifi (though rare) where it seems like my Internet connection died, I turn wifi off then back on and it works again. I assume this could be resolved with a release or renew (then again there are probably the same amount of clicks to accomplish the same thing)...but hey it's added functionality for your app!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post
    the command 'dhclient' will work.
    I ssh'd in I tried this while in root and it did not work. Maybe it was because I was tethering via wifi at the time. Is there an easier way? Is there a command line tool that I can access directly from the pre? (I thought I saw one but I can't find it.)

I second derrickonline's suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by eain View Post
    The websites won't show your bluetooth or WiFi address.

For instance, if you don't have WiFi on or connected, then you'll only see the EVDO (Sprint network) IP Address. However, if you have WiFi connected, then those web pages will show the IP address of, say, your cable modem. Which doesn't help your home computer connect to the Pre over your internal network.

Well, if you need to see the internal IP address, you could just go to the router/access point and look at what internal address the Pre was issued.

So there are ways to get the info without this app, but of course, the app makes it just easier probably.

But as you said, if you are using Wifi the app will should you the internal address assign but then it would not give you the external address that is used to access your WAN connection.

So there are going to be cases that you need both addresses.

For example, if you are running some kind of remote control application and need to access your Pre from the outside, you need the router ip address, and the you would have had to setup up your router to do a redirect or port forwarding to the internal address that was assigned to the Pre.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Waaaay cool. Now I don't have to first ssh into dynamic dns to see what my internal IP is or make an educated guess based on the router and past behavior. I will never open that blasted micro usb port cover again. And you just made that objective a bit easier and saved me a couple of minutes every time.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riebs View Post
    Would there be any way to add a "refresh" button?

Thanks!
    updated to 0.0.2 - app now refreshes automatically. no need for a refresh button even
    really good app
    What a simple useful app.. good job.
    Just what i needed. thanks
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thank you. Great App.
    I'm wondering if you would consider changing the text fields for the IP address so that we can copy/paste them if we wanted.

Other than that (and that isn't even really necessary, just a "cool to have" type thing) I love the app. I got rid of the other IP address app I had and replaced it with yours.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    great suggestion - I like it. Its on the list of changes. I wanted to clean up the app to submit to palm so I updated the version here to be the same. For now, clicking on each list item (like the ip) launches the app that controls the settings. Clicking the wifi ip brings up the wifi settings, etc
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    great suggestion - I like it. Its on the list of changes. I wanted to clean up the app to submit to palm so I updated the version here to be the same. For now, clicking on each list item (like the ip) launches the app that controls the settings. Clicking the wifi ip brings up the wifi settings, etc
    I do like the way clicking the differnnt sections launches the settings for that particular network connection. I think that's an excellent feature. What I had envisioned was that JUST the IP address itself was text, and clicking anywhere else in the list group for that connection type launched the settings. Like I said, I love the app, this was just something that popped into my head. Are you planning on submitting this as a paid app? If not, do you have a donate link? I like to support apps I find extremely useful.

EDIT: Nevermind about the donate link, I just saw that it is on golfpinfinder.com. Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teej51685 View Post
    I do like the way clicking the differnnt sections launches the settings for that particular network connection. I think that's an excellent feature. What I had envisioned was that JUST the IP address itself was text, and clicking anywhere else in the list group for that connection type launched the settings. Like I said, I love the app, this was just something that popped into my head. Are you planning on submitting this as a paid app? If not, do you have a donate link? I like to support apps I find extremely useful.

EDIT: Nevermind about the donate link, I just saw that it is on golfpinfinder.com. Thanks again!
    I just published 0.3.0 - clicking the IP copies it to the clipboard and clicking the other details launches the app associated with it for settings.

It's a freebie app that I'm submitting. But thanks for any donations (and your suggestions)!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Cool app. Is there any way to add the WAN address that the WiFi LAN is on?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by APEowner View Post
    Cool app. Is there any way to add the WAN address that the WiFi LAN is on?
    Good idea. just updated to 0.5.0 with that feature. tapping the public IP also copies it to the clipboard for pasting
    Last edited by moserjj; 10/02/2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: fixed new version number
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Good idea. just updated to 0.5.0 with that feature. tapping the public IP also copies it to the clipboard for pasting
    Now that's customer service! Either that it's a case of great minds thinking alike.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    I added it per your suggestion - thanks again!
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I added it per your suggestion - thanks again!
    Wow, thank you.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Is this still available, I've used it for a while but can no longer find it ...?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast