Page 8 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by xominous View Post
    Hopefully the mods can check in on this.
    Yeah, I didn't realize how dependent I am on it now

can't wait to use 2.4
    Yeah I can't even just type it in to filecoaster, it still won't download. And only 0.2.3 is on preload. Wtf dev?
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    wllxcore, this has nothing to do with the dev. It's a forums issue. He already mentioned trying to contact the site to get it fixed, so just chill out. If you need it that bad, you can manuall install it like I did.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I just got my google voice account.

This is not criticism, just missing something ... Can anyone here explain why using GV on the mobile is a good thing?

For instance, on Sprint, I have unlimited texting ... why do I want to text on GV?

On Sprint, I get unlimited calls during certain hours and to all Sprint phones, and no long distance charges ... why would i want to use GV?

On Sprint i can even forward my call to another phone.

Is there a simple explanation for the benefits of GV?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltpmd View Post
    I can't address everyone's "use case" - but here's mine:

My wife and I ditched our landline a few months back. However we don't want our cell phones to be bombarded by calls from just anyone. So we obtained a GV number and give that out as our "home number" to businesses, credit card companies, certain pesky relatives who only want to borrow money and anyone else we'd prefer not to give our cell numbers to.

Using Google Contacts, we can allow certain groups to ring through to our cells and everyone else to go direct to voicemail. When calling back however, if we dial directly from our cells then the magic of Caller-ID gives away our cell number to the person we called.

But, using gDial Pro with our GV number, we can place calls from our "home number" that appear on Caller-ID as our home number to the callee. We can also scan our voicemail messages and see which ones we need to call back and which ones can wait.

In this way we maintain as much calling privacy as we can while still making it straightforward for anyone to get hold of us.

Some people have also commented that they can make GV their main number that they give away to anyone and then have the freedom to switch phones / carriers / cell numbers without having to notify everyone that they have a new number.

So there's a great deal of utility in GV - enough for most everyone to find an application that suits them.

have fun,
    john
    Thanks
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Another great reason for GV is the ability to ring multiple phones. I live in a place that has very little cell service, so with GV, my friends and family can call the number, and it will ring both my cell and the house here. I can also set the home phone to not ring after a certain time, so the calls essentially just go to GVoicemail, and then I can check it online.
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltpmd View Post
    I just got my google voice account.
    Two other reasons...

1. When I use Google Voice on my Pre, I don't use any minutes at all (including my Sprint minutes).

2. I can call internationally from my cell phone for cheap. Been calling family and friends in Asia for 2 cents a minutes.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by isosunrise View Post
    Two other reasons...

1. When I use Google Voice on my Pre, I don't use any minutes at all (including my Sprint minutes).
    To be clear, #1 only works if you have the Pick 3 or Pick 5 add-on with your plan. Those allow you to call any 3 (or 5) numbers without using your minutes. Otherwise, using GV uses your cell phone minutes like normal.
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsage View Post
    I can't address everyone's "use case" - but here's mine:

My wife and I ditched our landline a few months back. However we don't want our cell phones to be bombarded by calls from just anyone. So we obtained a GV number and give that out as our "home number" to businesses, credit card companies, certain pesky relatives who only want to borrow money and anyone else we'd prefer not to give our cell numbers to.

Using Google Contacts, we can allow certain groups to ring through to our cells and everyone else to go direct to voicemail. When calling back however, if we dial directly from our cells then the magic of Caller-ID gives away our cell number to the person we called.

But, using gDial Pro with our GV number, we can place calls from our "home number" that appear on Caller-ID as our home number to the callee. We can also scan our voicemail messages and see which ones we need to call back and which ones can wait.

In this way we maintain as much calling privacy as we can while still making it straightforward for anyone to get hold of us.

Some people have also commented that they can make GV their main number that they give away to anyone and then have the freedom to switch phones / carriers / cell numbers without having to notify everyone that they have a new number.

So there's a great deal of utility in GV - enough for most everyone to find an application that suits them.

have fun,
    john
    Excellent description of how to use Google Voice to enhance your life.
    I installed it and will try it out.
    I love the way this is looking!!! Can you give me a way to lower the time it takes to dial each digit after the "2" for GV? The one second per digit is really annoying. I understand if their are problems but I would like to be able to set this lower. When I type it real fast manually, it works fine so I would like to at least try it.

Speed is everything in a phone app. Thanks for not having a splash screen. It should load as fast as possible.

We also need an on screen clear digit box when we dial wrong to backspace one.
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Nice Work, FLPALM. I've been using your app since the original gdial version. A lot has changed.

One item on wish list: Instead of going into WebOS contacts, maybe make your own contacts list view and include an on screen keyboard to narrow down the contacts as one types. This way, users would not have to open the phone to load their contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by xominous View Post
    To be clear, #1 only works if you have the Pick 3 or Pick 5 add-on with your plan. Those allow you to call any 3 (or 5) numbers without using your minutes. Otherwise, using GV uses your cell phone minutes like normal.
    Does Pick 3/5 allow for free incoming calls from those numbers as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    wllxcore, this has nothing to do with the dev. It's a forums issue. He already mentioned trying to contact the site to get it fixed, so just chill out. If you need it that bad, you can manuall install it like I did.
    Didn't mean to come off nasty. I can download it manually but that just means I have to wait until I get home hours from now. Also, the dev did upload it to PreLoad but that was 2.3 and I'm not sure how much trouble it would be to send the PMP guys an update but it would be nice for those of us that might not have access to manually install until much later.

Otherwise let me go on the record to say that even using 2.3 this is an awesome app and I'm glad it's around for us to use since I just got my invite to GV today.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    thanks again for a great app... keep up the good work!

maybe i'm missing something but how do i see the transcript of the voice mail?

thanks...
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    thanx. great app...im ready to donate to show support
  18.    #158  
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTim View Post
    thanks again for a great app... keep up the good work!

maybe i'm missing something but how do i see the transcript of the voice mail?

thanks...
    If you click on a voicemail in the history or voicemail list it should bring up a detail display with the transcript of the voicemail. Let me know if it doesn't work for you.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    If you click on a voicemail in the history or voicemail list it should bring up a detail display with the transcript of the voicemail. Let me know if it doesn't work for you.
    Tried both of those... I get the time / type / number but no transcript (there's one when i use the web).

I just downloaded 0.2.4 do i need to do a reset?

I'll send pictures either tonight or in the AM...

thanks,
    -tim
    i have a suggestion for the gDial pro SMS scene...the buttons on the bottom overlap the Send & Load Contact buttons...maybe you could out those buttons next to their respective fields (i.e. load contact next to name/number in "To:" field, and Send next to the message in the "Message:" field) kinda like the messaging app in the phone itself...

anyways, Great Job on this app!! It will be a great utility once it's all polished!

Good Luck with everything!