Page 45 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    yes, I am having the delay issue with 2, havent tried 3 yet.

seems issue arose in latest build
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    I would like to know if others are finding this a common problem? What delay is everyone using?

I ended up able to use just a 1 delay, but I would like to know what works best for most users so I can properly default it.

I have not had any problems with the 2 second delay. It works find for me
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I only use web dial.
  4. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I would like to know if others are finding this a common problem? What delay is everyone using?

I ended up able to use just a 1 delay, but I would like to know what works best for most users so I can properly default it.
    It took me several failed calls to realize what the problem was because I wasn't really listening to the transaction between her voice and the tones.

I use a PIN so perhaps that requires a longer wait time since she has to ask for the PIN. The default setting of 2 seconds resulted in my PIN being fired off before she was through prompting for it, so she wasn't hearing the first couple of digits.

I'll humbly suggest a future update includes a very short description of how the wait time should be used near the setting on the Preferences scene. Maybe something like, "Use the lowest value that allows Google Voice prompts to complete before the dialing sequence continues...." Might reduce users' issues with not understanding their failures.
  5.    #885  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    It took me several failed calls to realize what the problem was because I wasn't really listening to the transaction between her voice and the tones.

I use a PIN so perhaps that requires a longer wait time since she has to ask for the PIN. The default setting of 2 seconds resulted in my PIN being fired off before she was through prompting for it, so she wasn't hearing the first couple of digits.

I'll humbly suggest a future update includes a very short description of how the wait time should be used near the setting on the Preferences scene. Maybe something like, "Use the lowest value that allows Google Voice prompts to complete before the dialing sequence continues...." Might reduce users' issues with not understanding their failures.
    Yeah, I will definitely be adding in some explanation of the preferences in a future version to help out all new users.
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
  6. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Yeah, I will definitely be adding in some explanation of the preferences in a future version to help out all new users.
    Good idea. I'm sure most users of your app have it because they are part of this thread. But since hopefully it will be in the official app catalog one day there are going to be a lot of users who aren't aware of this resource. It's just going to need to be self explanatory as much as possible. Unfortunately it seems that a high percentage of people never actually look at Help menus.

By the way... this app is one of the very few that literally redefine Pre usage. Thank-you for applying your skills and dedication for our huge benefit.

xtn

PS - I have not seen a single "notification" on my Pre yet from gDial 0.6.7 with updates set to 5 minutes. Should I be expecting them after I get GV voicemail? I've left myself VM from a landline to test, and don't get any notification regardless of app status (has focus, is a card, or closed completely).
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I am currently not in a place where I have a phone signal and am not continuously on the wifi (deployed with the military). So every few minutes gdial pro pops up a message that says bab username and password only when I am not connected to the internet. Is there a way that gdial could be updated so that if there is no internet/network connection that message will not pop up. Or if the phone is in airplane mode that it could stop that message from popping up. It is quite annoying, because all night long my phone will come on for a few minutes when that message pops up even if I have turn off the screen or the screen has timed out and gone black.

I really like this app, it helps me text my wife from my phone when I am on the wifi, instead of having to get on my computer.
  8.    #888  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor79 View Post
    I am currently not in a place where I have a phone signal and am not continuously on the wifi (deployed with the military). So every few minutes gdial pro pops up a message that says bab username and password only when I am not connected to the internet. Is there a way that gdial could be updated so that if there is no internet/network connection that message will not pop up. Or if the phone is in airplane mode that it could stop that message from popping up. It is quite annoying, because all night long my phone will come on for a few minutes when that message pops up even if I have turn off the screen or the screen has timed out and gone black.

I really like this app, it helps me text my wife from my phone when I am on the wifi, instead of having to get on my computer.
    Definitely, I will fix that in a future version if Palm has the API's available, which I think they do.

Also, not the best solution, but you could set it to manual check so that it doesn't do any refreshing while the program is closed.
    Become a fan on Facebook
  9.    #889  
    Good idea. I'm sure most users of your app have it because they are part of this thread. But since hopefully it will be in the official app catalog one day there are going to be a lot of users who aren't aware of this resource. It's just going to need to be self explanatory as much as possible. Unfortunately it seems that a high percentage of people never actually look at Help menus.

By the way... this app is one of the very few that literally redefine Pre usage. Thank-you for applying your skills and dedication for our huge benefit.

xtn

PS - I have not seen a single "notification" on my Pre yet from gDial 0.6.7 with updates set to 5 minutes. Should I be expecting them after I get GV voicemail? I've left myself VM from a landline to test, and don't get any notification regardless of app status (has focus, is a card, or closed completely).
    Good find. I filter the notifications to only show them for SMS or missed calls, but voicemail should be on that list as well and will be in the next version
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Definitely, I will fix that in a future version if Palm has the API's available, which I think they do.

Also, not the best solution, but you could set it to manual check so that it doesn't do any refreshing while the program is closed.

Yeah, I thought about setting it to manual, I will do that now until a fix is in place or when I get home very soon, wha hoo.
  11. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Good find. I filter the notifications to only show them for SMS or missed calls, but voicemail should be on that list as well and will be in the next version
    Okay I called myself from a landline and hung up after a couple of rings. So that works at least. I was afraid I wasn't getting notifications at all.

Then I had my brother text my GV number to test that functionality, and it worked. I replied to him through gDial, and immediately got a notification for having sent a text. Um... it quickly shows up in the history, so there isn't really a reason to trigger a notification for a sent sms is there?

The other annoying thing is that I get my brother's sms twice... once via gDial, and of course GV is sending the text to my phone so I'm getting a conversation with the 406 number in the Pre's messaging app. I would LIKE to keep sms conversations that go through GV strictly in gDial, but there is no GV setting I can find on the website to prevent them coming to my phone. If they would just go straight into GV history without coming to my phone, then gDial would act as the primary GV messaging app without getting duplicates in the Pre's messaging app.

I realize that's not something you have control over. I'm just voicing my thoughts. Google should have a "do not disturb" setting for SMS only.

xtn
  12.    #892  
    Okay I called myself from a landline and hung up after a couple of rings. So that works at least. I was afraid I wasn't getting notifications at all.

Then I had my brother text my GV number to test that functionality, and it worked. I replied to him through gDial, and immediately got a notification for having sent a text. Um... it quickly shows up in the history, so there isn't really a reason to trigger a notification for a sent sms is there?

The other annoying thing is that I get my brother's sms twice... once via gDial, and of course GV is sending the text to my phone so I'm getting a conversation with the 406 number in the Pre's messaging app. I would LIKE to keep sms conversations that go through GV strictly in gDial, but there is no GV setting I can find on the website to prevent them coming to my phone. If they would just go straight into GV history without coming to my phone, then gDial would act as the primary GV messaging app without getting duplicates in the Pre's messaging app.

I realize that's not something you have control over. I'm just voicing my thoughts.

xtn
    To turn off SMS forwarding to your cell go to Settings->Phones, then click edit for your cell phone, then uncheck the receive SMS on phone box.

Unfortunately for the notifications on SMS, they don't distinguish at this time whether they are incoming or outgoing SMS as far as I have been able to tell.
    Become a fan on Facebook
  13. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    To turn off SMS forwarding to your cell go to Settings->Phones, then click edit for your cell phone, then uncheck the receive SMS on phone box.
    Ah thanks! I spent ten friggin minutes looking over and over through all the settings except that one. Wasn't intuitive to me at all. Now I realize it kinda is because you might want different settings for different registered phones so it wouldn't be under the blanket SMS settings. So GV will still accept the SMS and just put it into the history where gDial can poll for it?

Edit: Yes that's exactly what happens. Turned off the SMS delivery, texted my phone from my brother's, and got the gDial notification. Of course it took [up to] five minutes instead of being instant, but at least the functionality is what I want!

Unfortunately for the notifications on SMS, they don't distinguish at this time whether they are incoming or outgoing SMS as far as I have been able to tell.
    Oh it was a gDial notification so I thought you were filtering them to just pop up the ones that make sense. Sorry if I've misunderstood.

xtn
  14.    #894  
    So GV will still accept the SMS and just put it into the history where gDial can poll for it?

xtn
    Yep.
    Become a fan on Facebook
  15. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

So what is the polling frequency when actually in history view for an item?

xtn

PS - got your PM, can't seem to submit a reply successfully. The answer is I don't mind at all.
  16.    #896  
    When you are actually viewing a detail item, it polls every 30 seconds for people who are texting so they get responses more quickly.

The 5 minute polling is the min amount for when the app is closed as mandated by Palm.
    Become a fan on Facebook
  17.    #897  
    I am planning to make webdial the default for new users in future releases of gDial Pro. It seems that it is the least confusing for users and also works the best. The option to turn off web dial will still be there and it will keep any current users settings the way they are.

Does anyone have any strong feelings against "defaulting" to web dial?
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Web dial appears to work the best, just have to remember that the phone calls you, I have dialed a number and put the phone to my ear waiting to hear it ring, kept forgetting gv needs to call you.
  19. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I wouldn't care what the default is, as long as I've got the option.

xtn
    Wow I'm lost does anybody know how I can get Googlevoice? I tried to sign up for it on google and it threw me some lame excuse, any tips or workarounds?