Page 34 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2429303132333435363738394484134 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bnaik View Post
    This is what I have found to be the best and easiest way to get Google Voice.

Google Voice on Ebay
    Thanks! I never thought of ebay. I've been waiting a week for my invite and was growing impatient. This seller has a few left @ 99 cents. I had it in about 15 minutes and it worked:

New Unused Google Voice Invite: Get your number today! - eBay (item 230368554318 end time Sep-16-09 14:57:35 PDT)
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    Interesting article.
    That's good news. I was wondering when Arrington would acknowledge that there was a Google Voice app for the Pre. It's too bad that he implied that gDial Pro doesn't have "deep" integration.
    There are already third party Google Voice apps for the Pre, such as this one, but again, those apps can’t integrate deeply with the phone. That’s because Google Voice has no API right now, so Google has to build deep integration apps directly.
    Referring to above quote from the subject article, gDial Pro almost functions like the native dialer and contact manager. How deep integration one wants to have with contacts and Dialer? I have not used or seen gVoice app for android phones by google, but this one has to be pretty close to what one wants to have.
    Referring to above quote from the subject article, gDial Pro almost functions like the native dialer and contact manager. How deep integration one wants to have with contacts and Dialer? I have not used or seen gVoice app for android phones by google, but this one has to be pretty close to what one wants to have.
    With the official GV app on android you can choose which number to dial out from very easily (google/t-mobile). GV doesn't call your phone or route through your voicemail... it calls who you are dialing directly.

The method google uses to accomplish this hasn't been released yet. If google releases their apis and with some tweaking of built in apps (or actual palm support) there could be a complete google voice solution for the pre. Along with visual GV voicemail support w/ transcribing, ability to delete history items, along with the ability to edit your various account settings all within a streamlined user interface instead of using the mobile website. In the mean time, gDial works great with the workarounds that flpalm is utilizing, fantastic support and update frequency, and the fact that it will always free says the developer is more focused about the platform and community than just out to make a buck. Alot is to be said about that.

side note: Listened to palm cast this evening and got me thinking... one thing that could be worked on in the home brew community (not directly gDial) is GV sms in palm's messaging app. You currently can add google talk and AIM into the feeds along side sprint sms, adding GV sms could theoretically be integrated now with the information and resources that's currently out there, nobody I'm aware of is even working on this yet but might be a alternative to recreating the wheel. This also stands true for YIM, ICQ, and all the rest, (think pidgin w/ actual sms)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsongrantr View Post
    With the official GV app on android you can choose which number to dial out from very easily (google/t-mobile). GV doesn't call your phone or route through your voicemail... it calls who you are dialing directly.

The method google uses to accomplish this hasn't been released yet. If google releases their apis and with some tweaking of built in apps (or actual palm support) there could be a complete google voice solution for the pre. Along with visual GV voicemail support w/ transcribing, ability to delete history items, along with the ability to edit your various account settings all within a streamlined user interface instead of using the mobile website. In the mean time, gDial works great with the workarounds that flpalm is utilizing, fantastic support and update frequency, and the fact that it will always free says the developer is more focused about the platform and community than just out to make a buck. Alot is to be said about that.

side note: Listened to palm cast this evening and got me thinking... one thing that could be worked on in the home brew community (not directly gDial) is GV sms in palm's messaging app. You currently can add google talk and AIM into the feeds along side sprint sms, adding GV sms could theoretically be integrated now with the information and resources that's currently out there, nobody I'm aware of is even working on this yet but might be a alternative to recreating the wheel. This also stands true for YIM, ICQ, and all the rest, (think pidgin w/ actual sms)
    Thanks for educating me on this topic. I hope Google will release APIs soon to make independent developers make solid apps that Apple could only envy...
    i wish google would let you call without having to call the google number, like call like regular phone app
  8.    #668  
    Quote Originally Posted by xg1itchx View Post
    i wish google would let you call without having to call the google number, like call like regular phone app
    Me too and it must be possible as their Android app does it. I am actually surprised that the info on how this is done hasn't been discovered and published out to the internet somewhere. If anyone runs across it, please do let me know. Make sure to PM it to me so I see it as even though I am subscribed to this thread, it doesn't always email me for each reply for some reason and I miss posts.
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by xg1itchx View Post
    Google Voice Web Interface from computer functions exactly like gDial as Mobile phone has been chosen to ring. The API changes does just the functionality or it changes the mechanism? What I mean is that it is good if your phone does not ring and it automatically get connected that way one less step but I rather prefer to have phone goes through and received from gv number. This way people who have pick3 or pick5 will not accumulate anytime minutes during regular hours provided that GV number is one of the pick3 number. Am I clear?
    bnaik. I agree. If this does get implemnted give us the option please.

I prefer to use web dial then the traditional way.

I would loose my pick 3 free unlimited.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Has anyone asked it you can make a hot key for it to access the Goog-411 menu choice? I would like to see that. Sorry if I missed it.
    GV is amazing
    v0.5.7
    -Pressing the dialer button will redial the last number called if there is no number entered
    The above works when you have punched in all the number. But if you have used the search with name and picked up the number, redial did not work for me.

In the PalmPre Native Dialer, when you press dialer first time it display the last number or the name you have made call to. If you press the dialer again, it will dial that number. I find this approach a lot more intuitive. You might not remember what was the last number you have called. If the dialer just dials out the number, one might dial out the phone you did not want to call and then receive call back from party to follow up on the missed call. This can be avoided by displaying whom you would be calling then waiting for second press to complete the redial.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    thanks man great app for those of you looking to get into google voice just go here:
    https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite/

I got mine with in 24 hours
    Another great article and review about our favorite gDial Pro

Best Google Voice Phone is Android, but Palm Pre is a Close Second

Way to go!!! Great!
    How can I create an account? Can someone please send me an invite? I submitted my email but, apparently am on a witing list and will be emailed once it is released. I don't want to wait.

Thanks
  17.    #677  
    The above works when you have punched in all the number. But if you have used the search with name and picked up the number, redial did not work for me.

In the PalmPre Native Dialer, when you press dialer first time it display the last number or the name you have made call to. If you press the dialer again, it will dial that number. I find this approach a lot more intuitive. You might not remember what was the last number you have called. If the dialer just dials out the number, one might dial out the phone you did not want to call and then receive call back from party to follow up on the missed call. This can be avoided by displaying whom you would be calling then waiting for second press to complete the redial.
    Okay, thanks for the detailed layout of how it works. Sometimes there is functionality that I don't personally use so I am not familiar with it. I should be able to replicate this for you in a future version.
    Become a fan on Facebook
  18.    #678  
    Another great article and review about our favorite gDial Pro

Best Google Voice Phone is Android, but Palm Pre is a Close Second

Way to go!!! Great!
    Wow, seems to be on a roll with the articles now. Would you believe that Palm has still made no contact
    Become a fan on Facebook
    flpalm You have developed a masterpiece and I wish you nothing but the best.
    Your app is being featured everywhere google voice and mobile phones are mentioned.
    Palm & google should really look into your work.
    i dunno what you did... but history loads in no time now
    MatterOfFactJack