Page 18 of 145 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Great job on the universal search. Is it possible to add a way to differentiate the numbers in the search? (H:home, M:mobile, W:work, Other)

I love this app!

Edit: Actually, ignore my post. It seems the search labels a few numbers as "mobile, work, home, etc". I'm not sure why almost all my numbers aren't labeled. Do you think it is an app bug or a GV bug? All my numbers on the contacts section of the site are correctly labeled.
    Not sure, I will take a look just in case it is an app bug. I parse the labels that Google Contacts gives for each number so it is odd that some have it and some don't on your contacts.
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
  2.    #342  
    My thoughts on the 406 numbers is that the best way to use them, might just be to add them to your contacts as you receive a text message from them so that you have a native way to dial if need be and also you can use the native messaging app in Pre and see the correct contact info.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to get a 406 number for a contact until they SMS you one time. If they provided a way to generate 406 numbers for contacts, then that would be great as you could just go through and generate them for each contact and cut out the need for a GV app at all.
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Not knowing programming etc is there anyway of linking gdial and quick contacts?
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    My thoughts on the 406 numbers is that the best way to use them, might just be to add them to your contacts as you receive a text message from them so that you have a native way to dial if need be and also you can use the native messaging app in Pre and see the correct contact info.

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to get a 406 number for a contact until they SMS you one time. If they provided a way to generate 406 numbers for contacts, then that would be great as you could just go through and generate them for each contact and cut out the need for a GV app at all.
    If they did that then things would be so much simpler.
    then that would be great as you could just go through and generate them for each contact and cut out the need for a GV app at all.
    I think the ideal situation would be for a Google Voice app to automatically dial the 406# for you when you dial the associated phone # in your google address book. That way you dont have to alter your address book or even know what the 406# is.
  6.    #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Great job on the universal search. Is it possible to add a way to differentiate the numbers in the search? (H:home, M:mobile, W:work, Other)

I love this app!

Edit: Actually, ignore my post. It seems the search labels a few numbers as "mobile, work, home, etc". I'm not sure why almost all my numbers aren't labeled. Do you think it is an app bug or a GV bug? All my numbers on the contacts section of the site are correctly labeled.
    I looked into this as I had one contact where this happened and it appears to happen if you use a custom number type in your Google Contacts. If you go in and edit your contact using the pull down's on the google contacts site it should fix the issue.

I will also see if there is a way for me to use the custom tag as well.
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Does anyone know if the official Google Voice apps on Android or Blackberry take advantage of the 406#s or are they just using web dial also?
    Quote Originally Posted by jschramm View Post
    I think the ideal situation would be for a Google Voice app to automatically dial the 406# for you when you dial the associated phone # in your google address book. That way you dont have to alter your address book or even know what the 406# is.
    +1 (any idea how to make a system that would know which 406 number is for what contact number?)

@jschramm to my knowlege they are using unreleased api's to place the call directly, the number the official apps use are not 406 numbers look at the picture on the right

-------------------------
    notes & updated info on 406
    -if you disable sms forwarding to your mobile you don't get these 406 numbers, the sms has to get sent to your phone for it to register a new 406number.

-in stated in the help forum by a google rep "llya2009"; "The pool of 406 numbers is not infinite, and therefor we can't assign a new 406 number to each contact right away" but it seems they are looking into this, curious to find out how many 406 numbers you can have?

-when google fixes the problem with the sparatic busy signal for inbound/outbound calls, and gives unlimited 406 numbers, there good idea from the board was to do a mass sms from your GV account letting everyone know your number has changed and ask for a reply confirmation so you can "put them in your new phone" assign all contacts with primary/alternate 406 numbers

-no known list of what 406 number is linked to what contact in a GV accounts

I'm still pushing to be able to manage 406 numbers with contacts, I don't feel this can really be reliable solution untill you can do this
    Last edited by johnsongrantr; 08/13/2009 at 09:01 AM.
    In quickly thinking about it I though it might be something that would be controlled by Google. Almost like a 406 speed dial # associated with each of your contacts. For all your contacts you already have with Google the speed dial #'s would just be give out in alphabetical order and then sequentially after that for every new contact added. Then for every Google Voice account speed dial 1 would reference the same 406# and so on. Again this would all be behind the scenes and controlled by an app.
    I looked into this as I had one contact where this happened and it appears to happen if you use a custom number type in your Google Contacts. If you go in and edit your contact using the pull down's on the google contacts site it should fix the issue.

I will also see if there is a way for me to use the custom tag as well.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by jschramm View Post
    In quickly thinking about it I though it might be something that would be controlled by Google. Almost like a 406 speed dial # associated with each of your contacts. For all your contacts you already have with Google the speed dial #'s would just be give out in alphabetical order and then sequentially after that for every new contact added. Then for every Google Voice account speed dial 1 would reference the same 406# and so on. Again this would all be behind the scenes and controlled by an app.
    oh, no doubt, I'm sure this is how it works behind the scenes on their end (406 # is google's speed dial for the number you want to call as it is dynamic per user ie.. my speed dial 1 is different than yours etc), but getting them to release this linking information or how to manipulate the info on our end is what we will need. This is what I was getting at with the "no known list of links between 406 and contacts"
    Last edited by johnsongrantr; 08/13/2009 at 09:33 AM.
    I was searching for Buy.com as a company name field and it didn't pull it out. Could you add company to the gDial search? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsongrantr View Post
    oh, no doubt, I'm sure this is how it works behind the scenes on their end (406 # is google's speed dial for the number you want to call as it is dynamic per user ie.. my speed dial 1 is different than yours etc), but getting them to release this linking information or how to manipulate the info on our end is what we will need. This is what I was getting at with the "no known list of links between 406 and contacts"
    I am just hoping in the long run it will work in this way. I understand it doenst help us today with these homebrew apps. I want to use Google Voice eventually and not notice any sort of delay in dialing or any difference between a standard cell call or GV call. No offense to the guys spending all this time creating these wonderful apps but I hope that is the way the official app works when google puts it out.
    @jschramm I can't speak for flpalm but this is my goal as well, if either by building parts of the native dialer into gDial, or building gDial into the native app. I really want this as well and I'm trying to find a way for this to happen.

note even with 406 numbers you will still need a way to dial new numbers untill they can be linked to 406 number and will always be needed for land lines that can't send sms (unless GV lets you manually link them)
    Last edited by johnsongrantr; 08/13/2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    First off, I love this app. I came from a G1 and I do miss the official app and all of the integration, but this app does a great job.

Is there a way that I can listen to the voice mails on my Pre? I can't seem to find a way and am stuck reading the transcription.

Thanks
    @keenish27 only current way to check voicemails is to actually dial your GV number, or use the GV website this seems to be a problem with WebOS, hope for a fix in next palm update
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsongrantr View Post
    @keenish27 only current way to check voicemails is to actually dial your GV number, or use the GV website this seems to be a problem with WebOS, hope for a fix in next palm update
    Thanks for the update. Keep up the good work.
  18.    #358  
    New version up with universal search for SMS and other fixes.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...ogle-voice-app

v0.4.1
    -Added in universal search to SMS messaging
    -Hold down the 1 on the dialer to call voicemail
    -Universal search now shows matching text with underline
    -Universal search allows you to dial numbers from the key pad as well as screen
    -Fix for history loading speed (Again, let me know whether this fixes the slow history scroll)
    -Remove border around the phone number to fix alignment issues
    -Fixed an issue with shaking on the dialer not resetting the backspace graphic to the address book
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    New version up with universal search for SMS and other fixes.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-a...ogle-voice-app

v0.4.1
    -Added in universal search to SMS messaging
    -Hold down the 1 on the dialer to call voicemail
    -Universal search now shows matching text with underline
    -Universal search allows you to dial numbers from the key pad as well as screen
    -Fix for history loading speed (Again, let me know whether this fixes the slow history scroll)
    -Remove border around the phone number to fix alignment issues
    -Fixed an issue with shaking on the dialer not resetting the backspace graphic to the address book
    Great job bro you are truly the best... Now can we have an option to change the back for dial/sms/history or you see what fits.

Thanks again
  20.    #360  
    I'm sorry I didn't understand what you mean when you said "can we have an option to change the back for dial/sms/history or you see what fits."
    Become a fan on Facebook