Page 17 of 145 FirstFirst ... 712131415161718192021222767117 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by thenext44 View Post
    Search from the dial pad is amazing! I would never have thought a homebrew app would be this good.
    I use your app all day everyday, and you just keep outdoing yourself.
    Thanks
    Thanks for the positive response. I look at it everyday and ask how can this work better for me? Combine that with feedback and suggestions and that gives me the inspiration for new features and changes.
    Awesome job, flpalm! gDial Pro is worth putting on my quick launch now over the native phone app. I can't wait to see what features you implement...seems like there's something new everyday...

A feature that I would love to see is speed dial.
    Great app but i dont know for some reason am not recieving my SMS from people? does anyone else have that problem? and sometimes whenever i enable call forwarding for my google voice number my regular number goes straight to voicemail?
    It seems I'm now experiencing an issue with this, though whether the app or Google itself is at fault I'm unclear. Multiple times in the past 48 hours, my father has tried calling my GV number, only to be told that the line is busy. I of course am not using the phone at those times, and am thus not actually engaging any line. Seconds later, he calls my sprint number and it rights through clearly and without issue, allowing me to actually take the call. So which is causing the problem? And more crucially, how do I remedy that?
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Search from the dial pad of Google contacts, WELL DONE!!! This app has become so much easier to launch a call from.
  6.    #326  
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysonline View Post
    It seems I'm now experiencing an issue with this, though whether the app or Google itself is at fault I'm unclear. Multiple times in the past 48 hours, my father has tried calling my GV number, only to be told that the line is busy. I of course am not using the phone at those times, and am thus not actually engaging any line. Seconds later, he calls my sprint number and it rights through clearly and without issue, allowing me to actually take the call. So which is causing the problem? And more crucially, how do I remedy that?
    Have you checked your setup in GV itself to make sure you mobile number is added as a live phone number to it and also made sure you are not call filtering?
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Great Update. Universal Search on Point.

Again Thanks,

mrclaiborne
    DaGreatOne
    Great Update! The app looks cleaner and the searching is a godsend.
    Quick way to clear the call history, perhaps?
    hey was checking out GV's "406" feature, once I get a better grasp of it I'll discuss how you could possibly use this. (really gots my brain churning) seems to have ALOT of potential though here's a link.

The Power of 406 - Google Voice Help

here's the basic deal with this
    -someone sends an sms(thx sheuba) to your GV number, GV gives their number a unique number with 406-xxx-xxxx.
    -If you call the 406 number with your native phone dialer it calls that person directly with your GV number, no forwarded calls, no voicemail routeing... straight to them
    -The caller id on their end says your GV number
    -the unique 406 assigned to each incomming caller never changes so it can be used forever
    -each GV account has a unique list of 406 numbers assigned to them, so for example my 406-555-0001 is a different person than your 406-555-0001
    -you cannot (as of right now) pre-assign 406 numbers to contacts, they have to sms you first
    -this method of contacting directly works for both native sms and dialer functions

EDIT: also looking into the thing mentioned before about editing com.palm.app.phone & com.palm.app.phoneprefs on how it might be possible to incorporate gDial into it giving you the option on how you want to dial a number. Just starting to read up on this, haven't even looked at the code yet, but it's said not to be is not encrypted so it might just be possible with a little work. I'll throw whatever I find your way
    EDIT2: looking at code right now, it is not encrypted but it is 275 +60 files (2.96MB) I will have to dig through to find what is applicable
    "cp -R /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/ /media/internal/phonebackup"
    "cp -R /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/ /media/internal/phoneprefsbackup"
    EDIT3:OR! this is a fun idea, use palm's internal apis and throw them into your program to actually emulate native dialer functions... long shot, but fun idea
    ---------------------------
    I'm not going to do a full review of 4.0 but I did notice some nice improvements and features, universal search... nice+ very pre-esque. And history is much snappier

The dialer input box although fixed is going back to the original problem when you type in a number, then delete it, instead of going left and right it's going up and down this time. I've seen some requests on here to just remove the box altogether and just have it type on the backround. (ie native dialer/dkGV) I also agree that this would alleviate alot of the frustration you are having with perfecting this
    Last edited by johnsongrantr; 08/12/2009 at 09:43 PM.
    Any way to have the phone auto-answer when you Google Voice # comes up on caller ID. That way you just dial and wait for the person to answer, just like a regular call.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsongrantr View Post
    -someone calls your GV number, GV gives their number a unique number with 406-xxx-xxxx.
    SMS replies are what generate the 406#s.
    1. You SMS somebody from the GV website.
    2. That person replies and the reply is forwarded to your cell. This reply is from the 406# assigned to that person.
    3. You can SMS or call that 406 to reach that person and have your GV# as the from # or caller id.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheuba View Post
    SMS replies are what generate the 406#s.
    1. You SMS somebody from the GV website.
    2. That person replies and the reply is forwarded to your cell. This reply is from the 406# assigned to that person.
    3. You can SMS or call that 406 to reach that person and have your GV# as the from # or caller id.
    A bit confusing at first, trying to figure it all out.
    Yeah my constructive criticisms are: the one above about when you search and find nothing the 0 results stays there until you restart the app. Also after you call someone you have to manually delete each digit before universally searching again.

It works great! I too noticed the 406 numbers and thought there may be some cool things to do with them. I might start adding them to contacts.
    Nice app! I think I speak for everyone when I say... if there is a Google Voice app with seamless SIP answering through say Gizmo5, I would be first to paypal you a substantial amount of money for doing what those guys can't or won't do on a jailbroken iPhone.
    Is there any chance we could also get google contact search for SMS too?
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    Thanks for the positive response. I look at it everyday and ask how can this work better for me? Combine that with feedback and suggestions and that gives me the inspiration for new features and changes.
    Mad props man. GREAT APP!
    Great job on the universal search. Is it possible to add a way to differentiate the numbers in the search? (H:home, M:mobile, W:work, Other)

I love this app!

Edit: Actually, ignore my post. It seems the search labels a few numbers as "mobile, work, home, etc". I'm not sure why almost all my numbers aren't labeled. Do you think it is an app bug or a GV bug? All my numbers on the contacts section of the site are correctly labeled.
    Last edited by Syphon; 08/12/2009 at 11:40 PM.
    Follow Me On

Quote Originally Posted by johnsongrantr View Post
    hey was checking out GV's "406" feature, once I get a better grasp of it I'll discuss how you could possibly use this. (really gots my brain churning) seems to have ALOT of potential though here's a link.

[url= Power of 406 - Google Voice Help[/url]

here's the basic deal with this
    -someone sends an sms(thx sheuba) to your GV number, GV gives their number a unique number with 406-xxx-xxxx.
    -If you call the 406 number with your native phone dialer it calls that person directly with your GV number, no forwarded calls, no voicemail routeing... straight to them
    -The caller id on their end says your GV number
    -the unique 406 assigned to each incomming caller never changes so it can be used forever
    -each GV account has a unique list of 406 numbers assigned to them, so for example my is a different person than your
    -you cannot (as of right now) pre-assign 406 numbers to contacts, they have to sms you first
    -this method of contacting directly works for both native sms and dialer functions

EDIT: also looking into the thing mentioned before about editing com.palm.app.phone & com.palm.app.phoneprefs on how it might be possible to incorporate gDial into it giving you the option on how you want to dial a number. Just starting to read up on this, haven't even looked at the code yet, but it's said not to be is not encrypted so it might just be possible with a little work. I'll throw whatever I find your way
    EDIT2: looking at code right now, it is not encrypted but it is 275 +60 files (2.96MB) I will have to dig through to find what is applicable
    "cp -R /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/ /media/internal/phonebackup"
    "cp -R /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phoneprefs/ /media/internal/phoneprefsbackup"
    EDIT3:OR! this is a fun idea, use palm's internal apis and throw them into your program to actually emulate native dialer functions... long shot, but fun idea
    ---------------------------
    I'm not going to do a full review of 4.0 but I did notice some nice improvements and features, universal search... nice+ very pre-esque. And history is much snappier

The dialer input box although fixed is going back to the original problem when you type in a number, then delete it, instead of going left and right it's going up and down this time. I've seen some requests on here to just remove the box altogether and just have it type on the backround. (ie native dialer/dkGV) I also agree that this would alleviate alot of the frustration you are having with perfecting this
    now you all might find this intresting.. If the person you are texting gets a 406 number assighned to them... Then that person gets a google number and assigns it to their phone number now when they reply back to you it will show their new google number not a 406 (this is when they reply with either their cell or googlevoice) so the 406 is replaced with the gv number
    @jack87
    that is a pretty cool feature and I didn't know that it worked like that. Anything that removes steps the user will have to do in the future is always good. I don't see any of my contacts getting google numbers in the near future, but if they do, it's good to know I won't have to do anything on my end.

@Syphon
    I spoke with palm support last night, after a couple frusterateing conversations of them telling me to sync with my google account as I've already done, I finally broke down and manually added all my contacts into to my google contacts via the web then deleted the originals from my pre. When I was done I used the palm backup app and did a full backup. I then went in and did a webdoctor restore to my palm and resynced with my google account. Now everything is working absolutely perfect as far as contacts go. I can now edit numbers or add new ones on the web or on my phone and the changes reflect in both places seamlessly. This is a big investment of time but it will pay off in the long run.

I was reading an article on how to export .csv file from the pre's .db3 file to inport into google contacts but it was very long and drawn out procedure that I didn't fully understand so I broke down and hand jamed it.

@lost cause
    I was reading how the linking with gizmo5 used to work untill gizmo had to start charging people per min because it ended up costing them money, then they went to a time limit per call. Also setting up an asterisk server for SIP used to work until google made some changes. Please do not hate on google for this. It may be/was technically possible to jump the gun and make a work-around for an all VOIP solution, but they will release a true VOIP service in good time. My suggestion: be patient, GV is still in it's infancy, they know what they're doing and the end result will truely be for your benefit.

@always online
    This is a known issue with GV that they are working on. Users also report a problem when attempting to connect via the web dial and getting the busy signal. Their suggested work around is placeing a call via voicemail routeing GV+2+number to dial. For incomming calls the only work around I know of would be to enable "do not disturb" and all callers will get your voicemail, I wish GV would just do this automatically (if line is busy then goto voicemail) Note GV is still in beta, I take everything with a grain of salt as they work out all the bugs.