Like Tree1Likes
    0.3.4 review

main/splash
    ~nothing changed

Dialer
    +input graphic "moveing to the right" fixed, looks nicer
    -very first input graphic does change after number is dialed still

SMS
    +conversation items history is reversed, the entire setup is upside down from what I'm used to with other sms apps, but seems natural for how this one is set up

history
    +more items in each history
    -after it pulls down your history it becomes slightly laggy when you first start browsing but once once you start scrolling it speeds up a bit, I do only have 20/50 entries, will test with more entries but I'm guessing the lag will be worse. makes me wish I was able to delete items within app
    -top menu graphic all/sms/vm/missed still slightly off center
    +contact/number translate very nice, makes whole section look nicer
    +grouping for dates very nice as well

mobile/website
    ~nothing changed

menu/preferences
    +input descriptions will help fix common problems users are having
    Last edited by johnsongrantr; 08/11/2009 at 04:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redhat View Post
    One very interesting note for people, like me, using Google Apps (that's where you have your own domain name instead of gmail.com). Currently, Google Voice is not integrated into Google Apps, so your regular Google Apps/e-mail contacts list is not the same as your Google Voice contacts. As far as I know, the only thing you can do about that is export your contacts, then import them into Google Voice once in a while.

I'm no expert on either Google Voice or gDial Pro, but if I'm following this discussion correctly, gDial Pro can add new contacts into my Pre's contact database. Is that right? If so, the Pre will then automatically sync those new contacts into Google Apps.

Can gDial Pro also push new/modified contacts (new contacts entered directly into the Pre) back up into Google Voice? If that works it would solve the syncing problem completely.

On another topic, several people have clearly stated that outgoing calls (from Pre to GV) can be added to a Sprint plan making them always free. But can someone please answer the question about whether incoming calls (from GV to Pre) can be added to that Sprint plan so those calls will also be free?
    Hi redhat,

To answer the latter part of your question, when you have the 3 free numbers added to your account including one slot for your GV number, all incoming and outgoing are FREE! Yes, and GV is totally free and does not use any of your minutes. Hope this helps...
    I've got some overall comments and questions.

I like the extended functionality of gDial Pro, but I really hate some of its aesthetics. I think the icon looks horrendous, the dialer page still needs some touchups such as the keyboard input area which makes it look really tacky. I'd love if an option could be provided to get rid of that text input area to always to use the dialer or to find a contact like in dk's app. I also hate how the bottom page navigation bar has a different color background and the divider lines extend beyond the buttons themselves.

I think that the SMS page looks great, although I think the spacing between the edge of the number input box and the text should be increased by a few pixels. Other then that, the SMS page is perfect.

The history page is too laggy,at least on my phone with a few cards open. I'd definitely like an option to have the number of items reduced to speed things up. The top selection bar has the same problems as the main navigation bar.

The rest of the app is great!

Please remember that I'm incredibly picky and I know that coding is hard work and that you aren't making money on this. I really appreciate all the work you're doing, I'm just peeved about some of the aspects of the app, specifically, how it looks in some areas.

I was also wondering if it's possible to incorporate this with the universal searching of contacts. I'd also loe to see the ability to create dialing shortcuts like how dgquickcut can create launcher icons that autmatically dial a number, but with google voice. Similarly I'd love to see the ability to use google voice for quickdial.

Thanks!
    Is anyone having problems with this app? I am able to make outgoing calls and sms messages with my google number, but when someone tries to call it, it goes to my voicemail and doesn't ring on my phone. Can someone help me and see if I set something up wrong?

*edit* nevermind, figured it out.
    Last edited by incivtegra; 08/11/2009 at 04:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    In reference to the SMS client within gDial... I use GV sms from my computer heavily while at home. I have very little cell service here, and got a GV account mainly because of this. I would like a more comprehensive SMS client that worked with wi-fi so that I could text from home using gDial and not have to go to my computer all the time. Notifications would be great as well. I wish that the website had a pop or something similar (like Facebook) to let me know when I receive a text. Thank you for all your hard work!
    Following up on my own question, after some testing I now see that I'm getting an error message saying "Failure logging in to Google Contacts API." Initially I thought this was just a transient error because I can actually see my contacts in gDial Pro.

But now I'm wondering. Is this error because my Google Apps password is different than my Google Voice password?

Whatever is happening you seem to be handling the situation really well. Just now I added a contact on the Pre, using the normal Contacts app. It immediately shows up in the gDial Pro contacts list, and in my normal Google Apps account (where it also syncs to my Thunderbird address book on various computers).

So it looks like on my Pre I have a unified contacts list even though Google doesn't support that. This is just too cool.
    I might be missing something but I cannot figure out contact integration. In my history list it shows the phone numbers but not my contact names. Same thing with text messages. Is this normal?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I keep getting error when trying to use Web Based Dial. Any help or suggestions?

Thanks
    Very nice app... Keep up the excellent work.
    I would like to see a quicklaunch to get to voicemail instead of having to go into history.
  11.    #311  
    Quote Originally Posted by redhat View Post
    Are you saying that for Google Apps accounts, gDial Pro never uses the contacts in the Google Voice account? That would be awesome. But, how does it do that? The account passwords could be different (I think mine are).

I'm definitely sending a donation now
    Your understanding is correct for Google Apps accounts. Right now it doesn't make allowances for a different password so it will only work if they are the same, but stay tuned
  12.    #312  
    I attempt to pull the contacts first using google apps and if that fails, then it falls back on the google voice account contacts.
  13.    #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by needo View Post
    I might be missing something but I cannot figure out contact integration. In my history list it shows the phone numbers but not my contact names. Same thing with text messages. Is this normal?

Thanks!
    gDial uses the Google Voice contacts, so if you have the contacts in Google Voice, then it should display their names in the history.
  14.    #314  
    New version 0.4.0 up with universal contact search on dialer screen. Just start typing and matching contacts appear like on the native dialer.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    New version 0.4.0 up with universal contact search on dialer screen. Just start typing and matching contacts appear like on the native dialer.
    Nice work man, preciate the good work you are doing...

It would be nice to implement both the universal search option and at the same time enter the numbers if not saved in contacts. You can not longer enter numbers using the keyboard...
    Is it possible to get this implemented for SMS too? I love this feature.
    This way I open GDialPro and tap SMS then type Robert Paulson, and his contact info comes up so I can just tap what number i want to text.
    Again, excellent work. This app has been added to my Quick Launch Bar.
  18.    #318  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdv22 View Post
    Is it possible to get this implemented for SMS too? I love this feature.
    This way I open GDialPro and tap SMS then type Robert Paulson, and his contact info comes up so I can just tap what number i want to text.
    Yep, that should be coming very shortly in a minor update.
    First post!!

...and first HB app. I love it! Tested it last night and today and its great. Thank you for putting it together.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderCup View Post
    The history page is too laggy,at least on my phone with a few cards open. I'd definitely like an option to have the number of items reduced to speed things up.
    i agree. I would love to be able to limit the amount of history which shows with an option to pull more? Sort of like the forums do pages...maybe
    Search from the dial pad is amazing! I would never have thought a homebrew app would be this good.
    I use your app all day everyday, and you just keep outdoing yourself.
    Thanks