Page 134 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3484124129130131132133134135136137138139144 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 2893
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #2661  
    v1.3.0
    -Major change to fix up gDial after changes at Google Voice. Please read everything below:
    Note this version and going forward will be taking a new tactic in order to provide as much stability as possible for changing Google API's all the time. Starting in 1.3.0, we will be moving more of the interface to a server side solution. So, gDial will communicate with our server (At Google's Appengine, so you can be assured of uptime) and that server will interact with Google Voice on your behalf. We are doing this so that future changes in the Google interface can be fixed on the server side and not require a new rollout of a new client and all of the time that takes. We can fix it on the server and immediately make that available to our users for better reliability.

Great, so what does this mean for privacy? In version 1.3.0 the only interaction with our server is in 2 places. We check your email address against a list of users on our server who are part of a beta program. The second is that we pass a token from gDial to our server which exchanges this token at Google for a Google Voice token that we pass back to gDial. gDial then deals directly with Google for all other operations. Your password is never transmitted to our servers

I wanted to be transparent about that so that everyone knows what is going on. Also, 1.3.0 is only going out to homebrew to validate that in bulk, there is no issue at Google with what we are doing. The hosting is at Google's appengine so there has been no noticable speed difference in testing.

Because this takes server resources on an ongoing basis, we will have to charge for this ability in future releases. So it is free in 1.3.0 for testing, but as of 1.3.1, expect that there will be a monthly fee required to use the following features: web dial and SMS. Manual dialing as well as viewing history will not require this subscription. We are going to try to make this work at $1/month billed by Paypal as we figured that would cover server costs and be inexpensive enough for almost anyone wanting that Google Voice functionality. You will get some extra features with this subscription as well that are almost done beta testing if Google would
    stop changing things on us
    gDial Pro - Unofficial Google Voice app for Pre
    You should follow me on twitter
    Become a fan on Facebook
    1 buck a month not bad, would be better if google would just give you the API and stop playing this silly game. the app is the best thing that ever happened to gvoice.
  3.    #2663  
    Forgot to mention that once that $1/month is up it also disables ads for anyone who pays. So we are hoping to bring a lot of value with that.
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Once the official API is out will you still be using Google's servers?

To clarify things:
    $1/month - no ads, and full functionality
    no monthly fee - no webdial. no SMS, ads on screen
    The current webdial is a step in the other direction. Any way to get it to use the access numbers like how it used to work prior to breaking?
  6.    #2666  
    Quote Originally Posted by Version_3 View Post
    The current webdial is a step in the other direction. Any way to get it to use the access numbers like how it used to work prior to breaking?
    I am still trying to get that working again as I had to bypass the mobile site in order to get anything working again. My hope is to offer all 3 dialing options in the near future. Just wanted to get the app working again as I have received a lot of emails from people who depend on Google Voice and gDial Pro.

I am fairly confident that I can get that to work with the access number in the next week I would imagine. Working server side is A LOT easier than what I had been dealing with on the mobile device.
    Become a fan on Facebook
  7.    #2667  
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Once the official API is out will you still be using Google's servers?

To clarify things:
    $1/month - no ads, and full functionality
    no monthly fee - no webdial. no SMS, ads on screen
    If/when they release a supported API, I will probably move those features back to the free ad supported version since I can bypass the server angle.

In the meantime, what you listed is correct for the $1/month. There are some other new things that are almost release ready, but they need finalized and they will also be turned on for those users to make it a better deal as we were not expecting the changes at Google that caused this to be required
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Worth the cost to me--thanks for developing a more reliable setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by flpalm View Post
    My hope is to offer all 3 dialing options in the near future. Just wanted to get the app working again as I have received a lot of emails from people who depend on Google Voice and gDial Pro.
    I think that would be great to have all 3 dialing options and more than willing to pay for this great app!
    flpalm & team:

Great job getting this fix out so quickly. In my world it would have taken at least 3 months. I tested it and I can see no difference from version 1.2.8 to 1.3.0. Everything works wonderfully again.

I have no problem paying for the software and resources utilized in this app, but I do find it ironic that I am paying for a supposed free service. There really is no such thing as a free lunch. I will sign up for the service when you release version 1.3.1. Ads are easily disabled in most apps, but the addition of web dialing and SMS is worth the upgrade price besides you need to be fairly compensated for your excellent work.

I have a couple of questions on the privacy of using an intermediary server. Is our password ever read or stored on the server? I would hope that you would not read, store, or even cache our passwords since they are used for all Google applications. Do you store the phone numbers and SMS messages that we send? I frequently call my bookie, dealer, and Russian mafia through Google Voice and would prefer those messages not be stored. Forgive the early morning sarchasm.

While I am discussing the program, I have a couple of feature suggestions.
    1. Deleting voice mails and other messages should be reflected in Gvoice. Currently my gDial deleted messages still say in my inbox. I would like to swipe them to delete them or have a buttons in the message that will allow me to delete or archive the message.
    2. Use access numbers to dial. This is the only good thing about the Google Voice mobile app that I like. This is a cleaner way to call. I believe I read you are working on this for the next version.
    3. Change the theme to light. I like dark themes sometimes, and other times I like light themes.
    4. Shorten the "listen" button and add a square toggle button for the speakerphone in the voice mail screen. I would like to hear voicemails through the speaker when on the Touchstone. This feature probably goes beyond Palm's released API, but I think you know how to access the audio API.

Thanks again for developing such a useful application and fixing it so quickly. Google should be paying you for developing this program.
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    I just updated and it's working the old way now......

When I have webdial on, I get a call from my google voice # and it connects me the # I dialed...

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
  12.    #2672  
    Currently the only thing shared with our server is your email address and a security token from Google. Your password is never sent to the server. I use Google Voice as well for my single phone number and so I have the same privacy in mind that I want for all of the users.

Also, thanks for the suggestions as well.
    Become a fan on Facebook
    Just getting ready to post is working like it used to. I had called sprint to add the new access number it was dialing to my fav 5 list. I can call and get it changed to another number now. @Nathan do you know when you will restart beta anxious to finish testing?
  14.    #2674  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Just getting ready to post is working like it used to. I had called sprint to add the new access number it was dialing to my fav 5 list. I can call and get it changed to another number now. @Nathan do you know when you will restart beta anxious to finish testing?
    Should be early next week, I just have to change some stuff with it now that it is using the server stuff.
    Become a fan on Facebook
    I installed the patch for universal search for Gdial Pro and decided I didn't want it anymore. After uninstalling the patch I can't get universal searches to point to the regular dialer anymore. When I click on a phone number through universal search it just sits there. The uninstall seems to have removed the patch but didn't point it back to the old dialer. Help! thanks.

Edit: I've restarted my Pre multiple times, reinstalled and uninstalled the patch and Gdial Pro but neither worked.
    Last edited by mperkinsky; 02/12/2010 at 12:23 PM.
    Did you restart your pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Did you restart your pre?
    Yes, I've restarted and uninstalled/reinstalled several times.
    I'll absolutely be willing to do $1/mo based on the fact web dialing works again w/o the access # (sprint messed up my pick 3 so I only have 1 "freebie" # I can use right now, and the last time I changed it they told me I could never change it again).
    If you have pick three and it is notated in your account you can change anytime you need it will only take effect at the next billing cycle though.