Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Thanks moserjj for this app. I finally got a chance to use it on a local course. Accuracy was great but like most folks, the battery issue has to be resolved. More a palm issue than yours, however I was able to complete my round(just barely i might add) That was with a fully charged battery to start and no google map usage. What would have put this app over the top would be inclusion of distance to hazards(bunkers, water, etc.) but i understand that may be in the works in your marking app. Once again, great work and i look forward to your updates.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    Thanks moserjj for this app. I finally got a chance to use it on a local course. Accuracy was great but like most folks, the battery issue has to be resolved. More a palm issue than yours, however I was able to complete my round(just barely i might add) That was with a fully charged battery to start and no google map usage. What would have put this app over the top would be inclusion of distance to hazards(bunkers, water, etc.) but i understand that may be in the works in your marking app. Once again, great work and i look forward to your updates.
    You can get up to 5 additional points (hazards, etc) if you edit the course online and add them in. You'll also get the hint too if included.

Battery life isn't great but for what the phone is doing its not too bad. I'm doing some things to keep the GPS running which hurts the battery but helps usability. A better trade off for me since I'd rather not sit and wait for the GPS to hone in every time i want a yardage. I'll probably buy a big battery just for GPS usage
    Quote Originally Posted by moserjj View Post
    Battery life isn't great but for what the phone is doing its not too bad. I'm doing some things to keep the GPS running which hurts the battery but helps usability. A better trade off for me since I'd rather not sit and wait for the GPS to hone in every time i want a yardage. I'll probably buy a big battery just for GPS usage
    I had everything off (wifi, BT, etc.) and closed all apps except for this. I did have an extra battery with me, since I suspected the GPS was going to be a heavy load, but after finding out no save and I would have to re-enter all my shots, it was a moot point.

I agree that keeping GPS on is a better way to play and saving scores will come with time. Keep up the good work.

A new 18 hole executive course just opened in my area, so I will probably pm to you about testing the marking app... I just can't guarantee when I'll be getting over to the course.
    I finally got a chance to use this over the weekend and it was great! I did have 2 thoughts though:

If it is possible I think I would prefer the option to only have GPS hone in while the screen was on. It seems like it could save alot of battery and I can always turn on the screen a few seconds in advance while walking/driving to my ball. I hadn't been able to try the app before the constant gps, so I can't say for sure...it may have been truly intolerable, but I know I always prefer more options over fewer.

Thought #2: I played in a scramble tourney with a shotgun start. I started on hole #4, so I had to say I parred #1, 2, & 3 before I could start keeping score... then I had to start a new round for the last 3 holes. I play in this type of format fairly often, so a way to select my starting hole (or a "shotgun start" mode) would be nice.

Thanks & keep up the great work!
    [QUOTE=davismw;1843275]I finally got a chance to use this over the weekend and it was great! I did have 2 thoughts though:

If it is possible I think I would prefer the option to only have GPS hone in while the screen was on. It seems like it could save alot of battery and I can always turn on the screen a few seconds in advance while walking/driving to my ball. I hadn't been able to try the app before the constant gps, so I can't say for sure...it may have been truly intolerable, but I know I always prefer more options over fewer.
    QUOTE]

I agree with this. I used the app prior to the persistent GPS, and while it took time to hone in on your position, I was easily able to make it through 9. Played last friday and it completely drained my battery. I would prefer an option to toggle constant GPS on or off. Or maybe you can make an early revision available?

Either way, it is an excellent app and makes a pre worth purchasing by itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by davismw View Post
    Thought #2: I played in a scramble tourney with a shotgun start. I started on hole #4, so I had to say I parred #1, 2, & 3 before I could start keeping score... then I had to start a new round for the last 3 holes. I play in this type of format fairly often, so a way to select my starting hole (or a "shotgun start" mode) would be nice.
    Thanks & keep up the great work!
    Ditto on this request. I play charity tourneys as well and they are all shotgun start.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=wlinwo1;1843326]
    Quote Originally Posted by davismw View Post
    I finally got a chance to use this over the weekend and it was great! I did have 2 thoughts though:

QUOTE]

I agree with this. I used the app prior to the persistent GPS, and while it took time to hone in on your position, I was easily able to make it through 9. Played last friday and it completely drained my battery. I would prefer an option to toggle constant GPS on or off. Or maybe you can make an early revision available?

Either way, it is an excellent app and makes a pre worth purchasing by itself.
    You can click on the hole at the top of the playing screen and start on any hole you want. If you choose 9 holes, start on say 5, after 9 you'll jump back to 1. If you choose 9 holes, start on say 14, after 18 you'll jump to 10. I deal with this every week in golf league so it was a priority from the start!
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wlinwo1 View Post
    If it is possible I think I would prefer the option to only have GPS hone in while the screen was on.
    I think i'll make this a preference setting, I can see wanting it both ways at different times so i like that idea. it's not terrible without the constant gps, you just have to wait 5-15 seconds for the gps to accurify itself
    I think i'll make this a preference setting, I can see wanting it both ways at different times so i like that idea. it's not terrible without the constant gps, you just have to wait 5-15 seconds for the gps to accurify itself
    That would be a great option to have and many users might be OK with this. It takes at least that to come upon your drive or lay-up. Just turn it on right after you jump into the cart
    Quote Originally Posted by alexlevy117 View Post
    What would have put this app over the top would be inclusion of distance to hazards(bunkers, water, etc.) but i understand that may be in the works in your marking app. Once again, great work and i look forward to your updates.
    One of the courses I play was actually on the app, but after going into the course on-line I discovered that the person that put it in basically just did the greens, so I went in and added all of the fairway bunkers and other markings that were needed for the course, so my suggestion is don't just take for granted that the person that did the course did a good job. Check it yourself to make sure.
    IYou can click on the hole at the top of the playing screen and start on any hole you want. If you choose 9 holes, start on say 5, after 9 you'll jump back to 1. If you choose 9 holes, start on say 14, after 18 you'll jump to 10. I deal with this every week in golf league so it was a priority from the start!
    I really should have noticed this myself Thanks!
    I got the chance to try the app on my regular course this weekend and it wasn't very accurate at all. It was off by thousands of yards.

At the bottom, the GPS Accuracy was in the thousands of yards, too. I was having to wait every shot, so I gave it plenty of time to find me, but it just never did.

Tonight, sitting in my house, the GPS accuracy is showing as between 3 and 4 yards.. What gives?

I know cell coverage is questionable on the course, do I have to be in an EVDO area to use the GPS? That's going to be a real bummer if it is the case.
    Played a round with MilenkoD this weekend. We both used the app and it did a great job. I've been waiting to try it out. The only problem is that i took for granted the score keeping, i never wrote my score down. When we reached the 9th holio, i pulled out the Pre to check my distance and accidentally swiped it back. this lost all my scores for the round and had to restart at the tenth. I know it's not supposed to be a scorekeeper, but that kinda peeved me. i think i'll take advanced gestures off the next time i play a round.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I just have to echo the other posters in this thread: great app! Thanks for putting in the work to develop it. I would love to see most of the suggestions listed here, especially the ability to save one's scores.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Just updated GolfPinFinder with many changes including multi-player scoring, saving rounds, shot/distance marking, saving rounds (done automatically), preferences for GPS on/off with screen turned off, and a bunch of other improvements.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Awesome job moserjj, just a general question. I noticed your comment saying the app will expired on 9/14 due to the submission to the Palm App catalog. Did Palm say your App will be posted that day or around that time frame? Or could we lose the app for awhile after 9/14 waiting on the catalog?
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pieler8 View Post
    Awesome job moserjj, just a general question. I noticed your comment saying the app will expired on 9/14 due to the submission to the Palm App catalog. Did Palm say your App will be posted that day or around that time frame? Or could we lose the app for awhile after 9/14 waiting on the catalog?
    If 9/14 comes and it's not there, i'll extend it. There won't be a time when you don't have GolfPinFinder available
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    The new versions icon does not appear on my pre. Just a transparent square. I tried re-installing and still no icon. Just thought I'd let you know.

BTW you really have a killer app with this update. Can't wait to get the final version. How much is it going to cost in the app catalog?

One more question...If you set the pref for GPS on when screen off, does this toggle stick after the app is closed? In other words, will the GPS stay on for other apps after golfpinfinder is shutdown? I would think no, to save battery.
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Well that's weird, I've installed/uninstalled/installed a ton of times and the icon always appears. Anybody else see this? Could be cuz it's not named the same and the old icon is gone. Let me know I'd a reboot makes it appear

Quote Originally Posted by bakerja View Post
    The new versions icon does not appear on my pre. Just a transparent square. I tried re-installing and still no icon. Just thought I'd let you know.

BTW you really have a killer app with this update. Can't wait to get the final version. How much is it going to cost in the app catalog?
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Yep...reboot made the icon appear.

One more question...If you set the pref for GPS on when screen off, does this toggle stick after the app is closed? In other words, will the GPS stay on for other apps after golfpinfinder is shutdown? I would think no, to save battery.
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast